Author Topic: CORONA Reconnaissance Satellite  (Read 11423 times)

Offline Archibald

• Liked: 471
  • Likes Given: 1096
Re: CORONA Reconnaissance Satellite
« Reply #20 on: 04/30/2018 05:36 PM »
In the robert Perry history of the NRO it is mentionned NASA interet for Corona in the Earth resources survey mission. Of course ERTS-1 become Landsat-1 and flew in July 1972.

I wonder what kind of capability would Corona bring when compared to Landsat-1 ? 
I understand resolution would be far, far better, but remote sensing happens outside visible light - multispectral scans and the like.

Landsat used Vidicon electronic signal cameras when Corona used film buckets. Perhaps they would build a hybrid of Corona and Lunar Orbiter / SAMOS, with the old Bimat system ?
« Last Edit: 04/30/2018 05:55 PM by Archibald »
...you have been found guilty by the elders of the forum of a (imaginary) vendetta against Saint Elon - BLAAASPHEMER !

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2900
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: CORONA Reconnaissance Satellite
« Reply #21 on: 04/30/2018 06:03 PM »
The problem with using a film-readout system is that you run out of film. It limits the lifetime.

There's actually a decent amount of info on these proposals for turning over film systems to NASA. I don't know the specifics (I've forgotten), but I think that NASA lost interest. The film systems had a lot of capability by the late 1960s/early 1970s, but they were running into their limitations. Landsat and its technology approach had a lot more growth capability.

Tags: