Author Topic: SpaceX to begin testing on Reusable Falcon 9 technology this year  (Read 541125 times)

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 3067
  • Likes Given: 8345
Great article Chris, lots of fun to read too  Im looking forward to some sc-fi looking flight tests! ;D
All the best for 2012

Robert
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Offline Maverick

• Newcastle, England - UK
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 24
What a great read! Really nice mix of technical and general introduction.

Offline Chris Bergin

Thanks! :) I need feedback on this as I'm transitioning as a writer at the same time as the United States in space is. It's one thing to be able to write the 18th article on the orbiter's MPS blindfoled - because you get so used to a vehicle's specifics - but it's another with these commercial vehicles.

Offline Jason Davies

• Regular
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 35
One of your best non-shuttle articles for sure Chris. Really enjoyed reading through that.

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 665
  • Likes Given: 195
Great article, thanks!

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 1458
  • Likes Given: 886
Good article.

Concerning the timing of Merlin 1D, it should be around the 7th flight of the Falcon 9 and onwards according to Elon Musk.

See:
http://spacenews.com/profiles/110425-elon-musk.html
[Question by Space News] When will the upgraded engine fly?

[Musk's Answer] The Merlin-1D will fly mid-2012. It could be a Commercial Resupply Services mission or it could be an Orbcomm mission, but itll be approximately flight seven.
« Last Edit: 01/12/2012 12:18 am by yg1968 »

Offline tigerade

• Low Earth Orbit
  • Liked: 50
  • Likes Given: 36
Very good article.  Thank you

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 908
  • Likes Given: 330
I like how you snuck in the X-33/Venturestar ;)

Online oiorionsbelt

• Liked: 672
  • Likes Given: 1482
Chris, you've mentioned before on the forum, that the use of 'Uprising' was controversial to some. I can't understand why it would be. Can you give anymore details on that.

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 546
  • Likes Given: 1492
Thank you Chris, for a nicely written article. SpaceX certainly has heaped a lot on their plate and I hope they can pull most of it off.

Offline Chris Bergin

Thanks a lot guys! Really appreciate the comments.

I like how you snuck in the X-33/Venturestar ;)

Heh, yeah - that was my first non-shuttle vehicle that I followed. Had to give it a mention when referencing SSTOs ;)

Chris, you've mentioned before on the forum, that the use of 'Uprising' was controversial to some. I can't understand why it would be. Can you give anymore details on that.

Yeah, it's a controversial song in the first place (support for G20 riots), but it (the lyrics) really got the backs up of a number of people I know (and I think you can guess some work in "old space" - etc.)

Big fan of Muse personally, and they are well-known for being into space flight (and sci fi).

This was their best space flighty video:
« Last Edit: 01/12/2012 12:30 am by Chris Bergin »

Offline stockman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Southern Ontario - Canada
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 0
Chris... great article - I have one question if you don't mind... in your article it says:

"The Falcon 9 launch vehicle, however, will not live to see the historic event, following its staging and return to Earth at least for the First Stage (the second stage may conduct restart/reboost tests) - shortly after the ride uphill."

Does this mean they will NOT be attempting any kind of first stage recovery this time around as they tried with the previous two flights? 
One Percent for Space!!!

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 8844
  • Likes Given: 5740
Chris... great article - I have one question if you don't mind... in your article it says:

"The Falcon 9 launch vehicle, however, will not live to see the historic event, following its staging and return to Earth at least for the First Stage (the second stage may conduct restart/reboost tests) - shortly after the ride uphill."

Does this mean they will NOT be attempting any kind of first stage recovery this time around as they tried with the previous two flights? 
That seems congruent based on what I remember hearing from them.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 1885
  • Likes Given: 424
That seems congruent based on what I remember hearing from them.

Not from them directly, but it was reported here almost a year ago IIRC.

Offline DavisSTS

• England, American Ex Pat
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 63

Wishing your competitors would "have a heart attack" is hardly civil. Listen to the song.

Offline Paul Howard

• Veteran
  • Perth, Western Australia
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 21
GREAT article! Really fully of info and very well written.

Offline space_dreamer

• London
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 11
Awesome article!

I love that SpaceX has reduced the weight of the engines but at the same time increased the thrust from 95,000 lbf (sea level) to 140,000 lbf (sea level).

Offline jabe

• Regular
  • Liked: 83
  • Likes Given: 5
I'm assuming the thrust increase was due more to the fuel consumption rate then ISP increase?
jb

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 1885
  • Likes Given: 424
Yes. Modest increase in Isp, but nowhere near the 50%-ish increase in thrust.

Tags: