Author Topic: Stratolaunch Announcement, Updates and Discussion  (Read 591233 times)

Offline russianhalo117

• AR USA / Berlin, DE / Moscow, RF
  • Liked: 1218
  • Likes Given: 598
Re: Stratolaunch Announcement, Updates and Discussion
« Reply #2160 on: 10/01/2018 03:48 PM »
My first take at labeling the components.

I haven't been following this as closely I perhaps should, but that engine looks to me like an expander cycle, not a pre-burner or GG cycle.  A fair amount of similarity to the Blue BE-3U upper stage version...
The turbines exhaust into the injector, so it is closed cycle. If it is a closed cycle expander it is unique since it had a short chamber and is some 5 times larger by thrust than any other closed cycle expander.
The article explicitly says there are preburners on board and the the PGA engine (Family) is an FRSC engine.

I know, and the renders agree with that - except for the plurality of preburners. There is only one duct which splits to feed both of the turbines, so there is only one preburner. Unless they are using serial preburners, which I have never heard of anyone doing and can't think of any reason to do so.
Some articles from the press event/announcement say preburner and others say preburners so i went with the plural for now until confirmation is verbally achieved. PGA is also an engine family covering all stages and versions of their launcher family.

Online Davidthefat

• Rockets are life.
  • Los Angeles/SF Bay Area, California
  • Liked: 73
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #2161 on: 10/01/2018 05:59 PM »
Consider that their VP of Propulsion was the Director of Propulsion both at SpaceX working on Raptor and at Aerojet Rocketdyne.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 6360
  • Likes Given: 1941

Offline Markstark

• Liked: 84
  • Likes Given: 28

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 2821
  • Likes Given: 7425
« Reply #2164 on: 10/15/2018 10:11 PM »
Sad news, may he rest in peace...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Offline ringsider

• Liked: 214
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #2165 on: 10/15/2018 11:01 PM »
Sorry to hear that, Paul Allen was a good guy overall and an adventurer.

Offline HMXHMX

• Liked: 1151
  • Likes Given: 326
« Reply #2166 on: 10/15/2018 11:07 PM »
Sad that he never got to see Roc fly.

Online abaddon

• Liked: 1197
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #2167 on: 10/15/2018 11:17 PM »
RIP and condolences to his family and friends.

Offline Markstark

• Liked: 84
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #2168 on: 10/15/2018 11:25 PM »
Very sad news. He tweeted about his condition two weeks ago so I sort of expected this kind of outcome but not so quickly.

I recall thinking it was a little bit unconventional to name their new engine after the founder (PGA) but now I wonder if it was because he knew he didn’t have a lot of time left

Online theinternetftw

• www.theinternetftw.com
  • Liked: 453
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #2169 on: 10/16/2018 03:14 AM »
Sad news indeed.

SpaceNews has a retrospective, and this statement from Vulcan:

Vulcan, in its statement about Allen’s death, said that plans had been developed for continuing his various ventures after his passing, but did not disclose details.

“Paul thoughtfully addressed how the many institutions he founded and supported would continue after he was no longer able to lead them. This isn’t the time to deal in those specifics as we focus on Paul’s family,” said Bill Hilf, chief executive of Vulcan, in the statement.

• UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #2170 on: 10/18/2018 10:13 PM »

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 367
  • Likes Given: 464
« Reply #2171 on: 10/19/2018 12:34 AM »
Interesting discussion about everyone’s favorite rocket fuels.

Anything new with Stratolaunch?

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 335
  • Likes Given: 1041
« Reply #2172 on: 10/19/2018 05:14 PM »
Anyone know what seats the UNFLAVOURED & UNSWEETENED aircraft uses? 
And were they active during the taxi testing?
Paul

• UK
    • Plan 28

• UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #2174 on: 11/07/2018 06:10 PM »
Stratolaunch Completes First, Full-Scale Preburner Test on PGA Engine
November 6, 2018

Stratolaunch is proud to announce the successful initiation of full-scale development testing of the PGA Engine preburner, marked by the completion of the first hot-fire test of the preburner on November 2.

Fully designed and developed by Stratolaunch, the PGA Engine is a high-performing, liquid rocket engine that, once completed, will produce 200,000 lbf of thrust. The hydrogen-oxygen engine will have the highest specific impulse of any rocket engine propellant and will release only water as a byproduct.

Designed, fabricated, assembled and tested in less than one year, the full-scale hydrogen preburner will be one of the fastest engine development programs to-date. The team has successfully completed propellant cold flows, igniter activation, and hot-fire sequence development, all culminating to the hot-fire tests.

“I am excited to share that Stratolaunch has completed our first successful hot-fire test of the PGA Engine fuel preburner,” said Jeff Thornburg, vice president of propulsion at Stratolaunch. “This is the first step in proving the performance and highly-efficient design of the PGA engine. The hot-fire test is an incredible milestone for both the propulsion team and Stratolaunch.”

Not only is the PGA Engine the first U.S. hydrogen-staged combustion engine since the Space Shuttle Main Engine, the Stratolaunch propulsion team has also prioritized the use of additive manufacturing for the development of the engine, enabling rapid prototyping on a much faster scale than traditional methods. This process has resulted in 100 percent additive manufacturing of the preburner.

Once completed, the PGA Engine will support multiple configurations of Stratolaunch’s in-house launch vehicles enabling convenient, reliable, and routine access to space.

Preburner testing will continue over the coming months, with increases in both the duration and power-levels of the hot-tests. For the latest news and updates, please check out @Stratolaunch and www.stratolaunch.com/news.

https://www.stratolaunch.com/2018/11/06/stratolaunch-completes-first-full-scale-preburner-test-on-pga-engine/

Tags: