Author Topic: Zenit + S-IV stage  (Read 4235 times)

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 357
  • Likes Given: 462
Re: Zenit + S-IV stage
« Reply #20 on: 11/11/2011 03:38 AM »
The S-IV has the same mass as the current Zenit 2nd stage, so your concerns about first stage control during trans-atmospheric flight are probably moot.

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 1731
  • Likes Given: 379
« Reply #21 on: 11/11/2011 08:24 AM »
The diameter of S-IV is obviously larger than the Zenit core so it's not the same from an aerodynamic stability standpoint. Higher drag, shifting center of pressure up etc.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1116
  • Likes Given: 243
« Reply #22 on: 11/11/2011 12:39 PM »
Though it does look like an Atlas V with a 5 meter fairing.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 357
  • Likes Given: 462
« Reply #23 on: 11/11/2011 01:11 PM »
The diameter of S-IV is obviously larger than the Zenit core so it's not the same from an aerodynamic stability standpoint. Higher drag, shifting center of pressure up etc.

Again, the Zenit first stage is a little wider than Atlas V, whereas the S-IV upper stage is about the same width as the Atlas V payload fairing. Please explain your concern about aerodynamic stability.

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 1731
  • Likes Given: 379
« Reply #24 on: 11/11/2011 01:28 PM »

Again, the Zenit first stage is a little wider than Atlas V, whereas the S-IV upper stage is about the same width as the Atlas V payload fairing. Please explain your concern about aerodynamic stability.

I don't have a "concern" about aerodynamic stability, I'm pointing out there's more to it than simply saying "the upper stages have the same mass".

Tags: