Author Topic: LIVE: House Hearing on Commercial Crew - October 26, 2011  (Read 78684 times)

Offline Diagoras

• Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 78
NASA's Commercial Crew Development Program: Accomplishments and Challenges - Full Committee

Hearing Charter

10/26/2011

Witnesses

Panel One

Mr. John Elbon - Vice President and General Manager, Space Exploration Division, The Boeing Company

Mr. Steve Lindsey - Director, Space Exploration, Sierra Nevada Space Systems

Mr. Elon Musk - CEO and CTO, Space Exploration Technologies

Mr. Charles Precourt - Vice President and General Manager, ATK Space Launch Systems

Mr. George Sowers - Vice President, Business Development and Advanced Programs, United Launch Alliance

[Blue Origin invited but declined to attend.]

Panel Two

Mr. Bill Gerstenmaier - Associate Administrator, Human Exploration and Operations Mission Directorate, NASA

The Honorable Paul K. Martin, Inspector General, NASA

ADDITION:

- Hearing committee site link
- Committee charter posted link
- Paul Martin, NASA IG added to panel two.
- Blue Origin "was invited but chose not to attend" (mentioned in charter)
« Last Edit: 10/26/2011 12:48 pm by Diagoras »
"Itís the typical binary world of 'NASA is great' or 'cancel the space program,' with no nuance or understanding of the underlying issues and pathologies of the space industrial complex."

Online Chris Bergin

Oh, we'll have a bit of that! Big name panel, bound to be webcast. Converting into a live thread.

Offline Diagoras

Re: LIVE: House Hearing on Commercial Crew - October 26, 2011
« Reply #2 on: 10/21/2011 07:13 pm »
Oh, we'll have a bit of that!

This is OT, Chris, but I absolutely love the British colloquialisms you use. I'll try and remember that one!
"Itís the typical binary world of 'NASA is great' or 'cancel the space program,' with no nuance or understanding of the underlying issues and pathologies of the space industrial complex."

Offline majormajor42

• Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 221
« Reply #3 on: 10/21/2011 07:31 pm »
I've been doing a little hyping of this in other threads.

Will there be any sort of timeline presented that may show who's in first? A Boeing SpaceX space race perhaps?

Will Lori Garver be added to the list? Will her recent point about paying American now or Russians later be made and perhaps commented on by the members present?

Is Gabrielle Giffords healthy enough to return yet?

Unfortunately I'll be working at night that day and most likely will be asleep during this hearing. Looking forward to reading all about here in the evening.
...water is life and it is out there, where we intend to go. I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man or machine on a body such as the Moon and harvest a cup of water for a human to drink or process into fuel for their craft.

Online Jorge

• Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: 10/21/2011 08:30 pm »

Will there be any sort of timeline presented that may show who's in first? A Boeing SpaceX space race perhaps?

Will Lori Garver be added to the list? Will her recent point about paying American now or Russians later be made and perhaps commented on by the members present?

Depends on what kind of questions the committee wants to ask. But I'd say you don't need both Gerst and Lori; the fact that they invited Gerst already seems to be a giveaway for me.
JRF

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 1462
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #5 on: 10/22/2011 02:06 pm »

Depends on what kind of questions the committee wants to ask. But I'd say you don't need both Gerst and Lori; the fact that they invited Gerst already seems to be a giveaway for me.

I like Garver but Gerst is a very good choice. Everybody seems to trust him. He has credibility. Gerst did very well at the Soyuz hearing. He doesn't get boxed in by some of the loaded question. Glad to see him there again.
« Last Edit: 10/22/2011 02:08 pm by yg1968 »

Online Chris Bergin

Will be opened on Hearing Day.

Online Chris Bergin

Opening post updated. Will be unlocked for the hearing.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 3069
  • Likes Given: 8371
« Reply #8 on: 10/26/2011 12:20 pm »
Just a reminder of todayís hearing at 10am EDT.
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Online Chris Bergin

And we will need help with transcription. I'm not going to be able to do much of it due to other work, as much as I'll be listening.

Online Chris Bergin

It's about to start if anyone's interested.

Online Chris Bergin

Something political going on :D

Offline Chris-A

• Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #12 on: 10/26/2011 02:08 pm »
Blue Origin not here.

Online Chris Bergin

Not happy with Blue Origin for having 14m and not bothering to turn up.

Offline Chris-A

• Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #14 on: 10/26/2011 02:11 pm »
Believes the business case is not real enough?

Online Chris Bergin

Rep Hall not convinced with the business case. Is not compelling. Flight rate is very low. NASA owes Congress a better assessment.

Don't want to get into the EELV issues.

Wants to be wrong.

"Can't spend money on going to Mars when the public can't afford to go to the grocery store".

Blimey, I thought this would be a love-in.

Offline Diagoras

« Reply #16 on: 10/26/2011 02:17 pm »
Really? As soon as I read the charter, I assumed it would be a pile-on.

Online Chris Bergin

It is clear there are many issues, which NASA have not answered a year and a half later (sounds like SLS doesn't it!)

Will support when the benefits outweigh the costs.

Still dependant on Russia even with CCDev. Russia charging 450m a year from 2016 to 2020.

Quoting Lori Garver on $6 billion over five years required. Is unsettling, as it's $2 billion over something said to Congress, and now it's $6b just to dev the systems.

Needs to be competitive with Soyuz.

Will have to decide if it's worth paying for Commercial. Can't decide due to lack of NASA info.

Doesn't think $6b to allow what may turn out to be just to allow the super rich people to fly to space is worth it.

Even if the funding stays the same, Commercial Crew is projected for 2017 and may slip further.

Government back up capability decision in 2010 Auth Act being praised.

Nine out of 10 dollars to dev Commercial Crew is taxpayer money.

Accident liability worries.

Still applaudes the work they are doing. Wants answers from NASA.

---
What the heck, this is big time negative :o

Online Chris Bergin

Rep Hall notes lots of empty chairs, but it's because they have other commitments.

Online Chris Bergin

Intros...

Tags: