Author Topic: ISS managers evaluating SpaceX via safety reviews ahead of debut arrival  (Read 15578 times)

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 2768
  • Likes Given: 7212
I wonder if SpaceX can demonstrate a Dragon rendezvous with the upper stage prior to approaching the ISS.

They'd need to add equipment to the upper stage. Probably not worth the trouble at this point.

You can have a demo and mission at the same time.  Just a thought…

That's the plan already if the demos are combined. C2 demo, then C3 demo, on the same mission.
Hey Jorge!
Please correct me if I’m wrong at the point:  Dragon rendezvous with station, back away to a safe distance and the re-approach for capture and berthing. I only suggested rendezvous with the spent upper stage if there was still some concern among the ISS partners.
Regards
Robert
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Online ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 1746
  • Likes Given: 384
Dragon rendezvous with station, back away to a safe distance and the re-approach for capture and berthing.

You would still have to demonstrate backing away from ISS whether or not you practiced with a 2nd stage. Demonstrating commandability from Station and all that.

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 0
Dragon rendezvous with station, back away to a safe distance and the re-approach for capture and berthing.

You would still have to demonstrate backing away from ISS whether or not you practiced with a 2nd stage. Demonstrating commandability from Station and all that.

Bingo.
JRF

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 8246
  • Likes Given: 5444
Rendezvous (and docking) with a pre-launched Falcon (9/heavy) upper stage ala Gemini would be interesting for other reasons. But that'd be more of a topic for the already-far-too-numerous "playing Legos with SpaceX" threads.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Comga

• Liked: 1527
  • Likes Given: 1260
(asked on the COTS-2 thread)
Can anyone here explain this quote from Chris' article:

“SpaceX/Dragon: Phase 3 part 1 safety review tentatively scheduled for end of September 2011. Starting to see easy phase 3 level hazard reports,” added the MOD ISS Presentation. “Some phase 2 level work pushed off to phase 3 (not unusual). Estimate phase 3 complete 2/2012.”

What are phases 2 and 3, and what action must be proceeded by their approval?  Is this needed for COTS-2, for COTS-2 to carry the secondary payloads, CRS, something else?
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline Rocket Science

Bingo.
Yes, I get that... The pre-test would not replace the actual approach and back off to station. I just said to perform two separate tests on the same flight.
Thanks all
Robert

Online ugordan

I just said to perform two separate tests on the same flight.

That costs propellant as well.

Offline Rocket Science

Rendezvous (and docking) with a pre-launched Falcon (9/heavy) upper stage ala Gemini would be interesting for other reasons. But that'd be more of a topic for the already-far-too-numerous "playing Legos with SpaceX" threads.
Funny you should say that Robot… That was what I had in mind like the Gemini-Agena mission. As for propellants costs… Still cheaper than rockets :)
Robert

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 1445
  • Likes Given: 4499
I wonder if SpaceX can demonstrate a Dragon rendezvous with the upper stage prior to approaching the ISS.  You can have a demo and mission at the same time.  Just a thought…

They are doing C2, C3 AND ORBCOMM test in one launch. I'm surprised they got away with so much!

Offline beancounter

• Perth, Western Australia
  • Liked: 105
  • Likes Given: 167
I wonder if SpaceX can demonstrate a Dragon rendezvous with the upper stage prior to approaching the ISS.  You can have a demo and mission at the same time.  Just a thought…

They are doing C2, C3 AND ORBCOMM test in one launch. I'm surprised they got away with so much!

Still all tentative so far as I'm aware.  No formal approval yet.  NASA still studying the risks associated with the ORBCOMM commercial, not test, payload.
Beancounter from DownUnder

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 701
  • Likes Given: 728
Is there a Range type system for the ISS.  If a dragon or other heads toward the ISS in a test the flight can be terminated?

Thinking of Mir

Loss of control, out of fuel.   Could happen easy passing into some space junk.

Loss of control electronics etc.

Push the red "abort" button, and the Dragon will "back off". If that doesn't work, things will get tense.

Yep indeedy :)

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2010/03/spacex-activation-dragons-cucu-onboard-iss/

excellent safeguard,

thx for the info Chris
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~ by Thomas Alva Edison

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 368
  • Likes Given: 226
(asked on the COTS-2 thread)
Can anyone here explain this quote from Chris' article:

“SpaceX/Dragon: Phase 3 part 1 safety review tentatively scheduled for end of September 2011. Starting to see easy phase 3 level hazard reports,” added the MOD ISS Presentation. “Some phase 2 level work pushed off to phase 3 (not unusual). Estimate phase 3 complete 2/2012.”

What are phases 2 and 3, and what action must be proceeded by their approval?  Is this needed for COTS-2, for COTS-2 to carry the secondary payloads, CRS, something else?

Via Google.  These docs may lead intrepid researchers to other statistically improbable phrases to throw into search engines.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20100027446_2010030048.pdf

http://mech371.engr.scu.edu/Lectures/Wk1/EA-WI-023.pdf

(everyspec rocks, BTW):
http://www.everyspec.com/NASA/NASA%2B-%2BMSFC/MSFC-HDBK/download.php?spec=MSFC-HDBK-3173.002833.pdf
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline corrodedNut

• Liked: 213
  • Likes Given: 130
Thanks, those flowcharts will haunt my nightmares...

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 8246
  • Likes Given: 5444
Thanks, those flowcharts will haunt my nightmares...
:o

How can they get ANYTHING done?
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Online Chris Bergin

As noted, the other item of ISS interest relating to this flight:

Includes a lot on SpaceX C2/C3 via the ISS software issues for Dragon's arrival.

ISS Managers Conduct Expedition 29 FRR, Prepare Station for Post-Shuttle Ops:

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2011/08/iss-managers-expedition-29-frr-prepare-station-post-shuttle-operations/

Superb article by Pete Harding via ISS presentations and Increment 29, Soyuz 26/28 FRR Presentations (August 17) available on L2.

Offline peter-b

• Dr. Peter Brett
  • Oxford, UK
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 74
After all the jokes about SpaceX not being able to keep to their schedule, it would be ironic if the COTS 2/3 launch was delayed due to the ISS not being ready.  ;)
Research Scientist (Sensors), Sharp Laboratories of Europe, UK

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 701
  • Likes Given: 728
After all the jokes about SpaceX not being able to keep to their schedule, it would be ironic if the COTS 2/3 launch was delayed due to the ISS not being ready.  ;)
yep looks to me like the ISS needs the talked about 7th person.

2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~ by Thomas Alva Edison

Offline joek

• Liked: 691
  • Likes Given: 368
yep looks to me like the ISS needs the talked about 7th person.

And interestingly, from the last CTS requirements workshop
- The CTS shall be capable of exchanging up to four NASA ISS crewmembers every 150 to 210 days.
- Four NASA crew required to meet the USOS demand for utilization of ISS

Online ugordan

I can't wrap my head around this situation, either. Are these ISS software delays (partly) a result of SpaceX own delays or are they mostly independent and ISS program is at fault?

Why does CUCU also need a software update NOW and it's been there for like... what?

Offline arkaska

• Sweden
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
These are ISSP problems and have nothing to do with SpaceX. I think there were some problems with the software and they had to go back and do some redesign and therefore it is delayed.

Tags: