Author Topic: Tesla Motors vs SpaceX  (Read 21313 times)

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 702
  • Likes Given: 728
Re: Tesla Motors vs SpaceX
« Reply #40 on: 10/21/2011 11:11 pm »
ABC and other news media are looking at Electric car deals now.  It doesn't look so good.

http://news.yahoo.com/car-company-gets-u-loan-builds-cars-finland-172441546.html

I read that article, and came a way with the strong feeling that it's a hatchet job...  :-\

In particular,  Tesla had little to do with the headline, yet about half the article is devoted to attacking Tesla on what appear to be fairly specious grounds.

"Yet an audit this year by the Government Accountability Office, the investigative arm of Congress, criticized the Energy Department for not keeping close enough tabs on its fleet of auto loans -- including those to Fisker and Tesla -- to ensure they meet benchmarks."

this is not good...
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~ by Thomas Alva Edison

Offline go4mars

• Earth
  • Liked: 152
  • Likes Given: 3184
« Reply #41 on: 10/22/2011 01:55 am »
It's incorrect with alterior motives.  Imo.  Bank analyst ratings are very bullish on Tesla.
« Last Edit: 10/22/2011 01:56 am by go4mars »
Elasmotherium; hurlyburly Doggerlandic Jentilak steeds insouciantly gallop in viridescent taiga, eluding deluginal Burckle's abyssal excavation.

Offline Lurker Steve

• Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #42 on: 10/22/2011 02:07 am »
ABC and other news media are looking at Electric car deals now.  It doesn't look so good.

http://news.yahoo.com/car-company-gets-u-loan-builds-cars-finland-172441546.html

I read that article, and came a way with the strong feeling that it's a hatchet job...  :-\

In particular,  Tesla had little to do with the headline, yet about half the article is devoted to attacking Tesla on what appear to be fairly specious grounds.

"Yet an audit this year by the Government Accountability Office, the investigative arm of Congress, criticized the Energy Department for not keeping close enough tabs on its fleet of auto loans -- including those to Fisker and Tesla -- to ensure they meet benchmarks."

this is not good...

This is part of the crony capitalism coming from the Obama/Biden administration that mismanaged the stimulus funding, and gave rise to the Tea Party and now the various Occupy groups.

They loaned and gave grants for billions of dollars to companies that didn't  generate those promised "green" jobs. Tesla wasn't the bad guy, but they haven't made money yet either. Add them on top of Fisker, Solyndra, and another failed company that made batteries, and this is yet another reason why the Obama administration should be blocked from any more attempts at "stimulus" spending.  Chicago politicans never change .

Offline krytek

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #43 on: 10/22/2011 03:36 am »
On top of that your president spent 2 trillion dollars of your money in bailouts and your still in a depression. And he keeps finding new ways to throw trillions of your money out the window to this day.
Really I wouldn't care, but you gonna ruin things globally.

Anyway FWIW, Tesla got a loan from a Bush era program. Elon was asked about this during an interview some time ago, he said he almost regretted taking it.

Yet an audit this year by the Government Accountability Office, the investigative arm of Congress, criticized the Energy Department for not keeping close enough tabs on its fleet of auto loans -- including those to Fisker and Tesla -- to ensure they meet benchmarks

Why don't they audit your federal reserve, instead of going for the small money.

Offline Lurker Steve

• Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #44 on: 10/22/2011 04:22 am »
On top of that your president spent 2 trillion dollars of your money in bailouts and your still in a depression. And he keeps finding new ways to throw trillions of your money out the window to this day.
Really I wouldn't care, but you gonna ruin things globally.

Anyway FWIW, Tesla got a loan from a Bush era program. Elon was asked about this during an interview some time ago, he said he almost regretted taking it.

Yet an audit this year by the Government Accountability Office, the investigative arm of Congress, criticized the Energy Department for not keeping close enough tabs on its fleet of auto loans -- including those to Fisker and Tesla -- to ensure they meet benchmarks

Why don't they audit your federal reserve, instead of going for the small money.

That's Ron Paul's idea, but he doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of getting elected. Meanwhile, start preparing for QE3, and more de-valued dollars on the market.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 8865
  • Likes Given: 5742
« Reply #45 on: 10/22/2011 04:34 am »

this is not good...

This is part of the crony capitalism coming from the Obama/Biden administration that mismanaged the stimulus funding, and gave rise to the Tea Party and now the various Occupy groups.

They loaned and gave grants for billions of dollars to companies that didn't  generate those promised "green" jobs. Tesla wasn't the bad guy, but they haven't made money yet either. Add them on top of Fisker, Solyndra, and another failed company that made batteries, and this is yet another reason why the Obama administration should be blocked from any more attempts at "stimulus" spending.  Chicago politicans never change .
The stimulus was never even close to big enough, not even close. If America's leaders are blocked from both stimulus spending AND any monetary policy, forget about getting out of the recession anytime soon. Austerity isn't going to help the economy, and it certainly won't help NASA's chances at getting the funding needed for an exploration program using SLS, etc.

What got us out of the Great Depression? Massive government stimulus (i.e. WWII).
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 2630
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #46 on: 10/22/2011 05:16 am »
A 2004 study argued that the Great Depression would have ended in 1936 had the market been left to correct itself, but because of New Deal policies diverting resources that otherwise would have been available for expansion the Great Depression lasted until 1943.
DM

Offline PhillyJimi

• Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #47 on: 10/22/2011 05:42 am »
Tesla - It's success depends on the price of oil over the next 5 years.  If gas prices stay somewhat low then market demand will remain low, I think they are going to eventually be purchased by someone like Toyota.  If gas prices spike, Tesla has an opportunity to become a giant company and to gain a very large market share.  The other car companies aren't going to be nimble enough to react.  I think a fun soccer mom style SUV should be on the table for Tesla. 

SpaceX - It would appear that Elon has put his Wharton business degree to good use.  He doesn't seem to let his ego control his wallet.  For the next few years, the main risk is a launch failure or two will be enough to sink him. 

I think for the next 10 years SpaceX is positioned to be very successful.  With the last launch they cleared major hurdles.  If Dragon failed or if they didn't have the COTS contract they would be in big trouble.

SpaceX Long term beyond 2025?  Who knows if Mars is just a crazy dream or not?  I hope it isn't.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #48 on: 10/22/2011 07:28 am »
PhillyJimi ended this thread nicely with a post that had some relevance. Most of the others didn't.

I might as well start allowing threads about how you should all call soccer "Football" at this rate ;D

Locking due to it mainly being about non-spacey stuff.

Tags: