Author Topic: The Crawler-Transporter thread  (Read 254798 times)

Offline JayP

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Crawler-Transporter thread
« Reply #320 on: 11/21/2011 04:35 am »

Much later. My understanding is ML will undergo modifications first, then stairs. (Anything schedule-wise can change).

If you and DaveS are building a Crawler somewhere, I want pictures when you are ready to roll! ;D

I can't speak for DaveS, but here are a couple of screen shots of mine as it is so far. As you can see, it is still very much a work in progress. I'm just getting started on the catwalks. I have drawings of the mount positioning mechanisms, but I haven't put those in yet. In the second image, I hid one of the tread runs to show what is behind it. I haven't got enough info yet to take a stab at the truck side frames.

I was out photographing the roll out last wednesday and noticed that the staircase, really doesn't line up with the one on the ML and if the moved the one on the crawler to line it up, they would also have to move the exhaust pipe below it. I wonder why they put the door in the ML in that place?

I'll be back out there for events around the MSL launch this week and will have my computer with me if you want to meet up and take a look at the model.

Thanks again for all the info.
« Last Edit: 11/21/2011 01:40 pm by JayP »

Offline GBCT#5

• Liked: 157
« Reply #321 on: 11/25/2011 12:43 am »
Here's an unusual view of D Corner side frame from the bottom of the maintenance pitt during Guide Tube mods.

Offline JayP

« Reply #322 on: 11/26/2011 04:08 pm »
Crawler 2 over that trench at the park site. Photo taken from the roof of the VAB before the MSL launch today
« Last Edit: 11/26/2011 04:08 pm by JayP »

Online DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 1077
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #323 on: 11/28/2011 04:41 am »
What kind of modifications are being done to the Cab consoles?
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline JayP

« Reply #324 on: 11/28/2011 01:33 pm »
What kind of modifications are being done to the Cab consoles?
According to the briefing we were given on the press tour last week, all of the panel controls will be replaced with a new touch screen system. I was going to ask if that included the big things like the stearing wheel and motor current rehostat but we ran out of time before I could.

Here are a couple of shots of the information board they had set up for us.

Offline GBCT#5

« Reply #325 on: 11/29/2011 02:36 am »
Cab Console Modifications will remove the Steering Meters, Height Meter and panel indicator lamps.  These will move to a display/touch screen.

Speed Potentiometer will remain as will the selector buttons, MPH Meter and the Steering Wheel. New transducers will be incorporated into the Steering Wheel and Speed Pot.

A new Laser Docking Display will also be installed.

Online DaveS

• Sweden
« Reply #326 on: 11/29/2011 03:05 am »
Cab Console Modifications will remove the Steering Meters, Height Meter and panel indicator lamps.  These will move to a display/touch screen.

Speed Potentiometer will remain as will the selector buttons, MPH Meter and the Steering Wheel. New transducers will be incorporated into the Steering Wheel and Speed Pot.

A new Laser Docking Display will also be installed.

Any design concept images available that you can share?

-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline JayP

« Reply #327 on: 11/29/2011 08:44 pm »
Does any one know the details of the original design change to the bearings on the main rollers?

I've attached an old illustration showing the change. They indicate that the diameter of the shaft outside of the wheel is bigger than the hole thru the center. That would indicate the shaft is sort of dumbell shaped. That wouldn't work since you wouldn't be able to pull the shaft out.

The picture of the wheel removed shows that the illustration has the bearing correct, so that means that either the shaft is split in 2 parts or there are sleves pressed over both ends of the shaft.

And, what is the design of the of the end cap? If you look close, you can see that there is a snapring around the depressed area in teh center. That would indicate that part is seperately removable.

If anyone has pictures of these components disassembled, that would be perfect.

Thanks,

Online DaveS

• Sweden
« Reply #328 on: 12/01/2011 11:19 pm »
If you and DaveS are building a Crawler somewhere, I want pictures when you are ready to roll! ;D
Here's mine. The first one is in the 3D modelling program and the second is in the simulator program we use to simulate the CT.

Offline GBCT#5

« Reply #329 on: 12/02/2011 01:33 am »
DaveS and JayP,

impressive, very impressive.  nice work guys. Now if you could just model in a nice rocket or shuttle to transport to the pad..........

No cab console images yet.

Early on the roller bearings began to crush and fall out. Bearings were redesigned to sleeve bearings/bushings.

Bushing removal picts. due to overheating issue.

Online DaveS

• Sweden
« Reply #330 on: 12/02/2011 01:46 am »
DaveS and JayP,

impressive, very impressive.  nice work guys. Now if you could just model in a nice rocket or shuttle to transport to the pad..........
Enterprise being rolled out to 39A in May 1979 for a series for Facilities Verification Tests:

Offline GBCT#5

« Reply #331 on: 12/02/2011 01:54 am »
Way cool.

Offline JayP

« Reply #332 on: 12/02/2011 02:20 am »
DaveS and JayP,

No cab console images yet.

Early on the roller bearings began to crush and fall out. Bearings were redesigned to sleeve bearings/bushings.

Bushing removal picts. due to overheating issue.

Thanks, that explains it. Do you have any photos of the thrust bearing? I assume its mounted in the end cap?

So, three press fits to push out to remove a roller? That plus digging the pit for the jack and breaking the belt in 2 places. It must take a couple of days to change a roller out.

I have a model of the MLP i'm working on too, but I'll admit that Dave's looks better than mine right now.

Offline GBCT#5

« Reply #333 on: 12/04/2011 03:41 am »
No more digging holes for the bathtub and roller.  Our pitts are all clean now and ready to use;D

Not sure if I still have a thurst plate photo any more. I'll have to go digging....

Offline JayP

« Reply #334 on: 12/04/2011 07:57 pm »
No more digging holes for the bathtub and roller.  Our pitts are all clean now and ready to use;D

Not sure if I still have a thurst plate photo any more. I'll have to go digging....
True, Those will make it easier. Will they use the pitt to remove the shoes as well or are you still going to use the crane and cables?

If you can't find any photos, can you give me a written description? I can model it from that and then you can tell me if I got it right or not.

Thanks
« Last Edit: 12/04/2011 07:57 pm by JayP »

Online DaveS

• Sweden
« Reply #335 on: 01/30/2012 05:12 am »
Any photos of how the refurb/upgrade work is coming along?

Offline GBCT#5

« Reply #336 on: 02/06/2012 01:08 am »
A couple of shots after parking in the VAB.

Mods are starting.

Last photo of Propel Motors with Brake Discs removed for modifications.

More soon.

Offline sprtnsky

• Liked: 0
« Reply #337 on: 02/29/2012 02:53 pm »
any updates

Offline brettreds2k

• Charlotte, NC
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #338 on: 02/29/2012 07:56 pm »
Are they both going stay inside the VAB while the program waits for the new launch system or will they just have them sit outside unused for the next few years? Is it just the one that is in the VAB or are they both getting modified?
Brett
www.facebook.com/brett.lowenthal1

Orbiters I have visited in retirement:

[ ] Enterprise
[X] Discovery
[X] Atlantis
[ ] Endeavour

Offline JayP

« Reply #339 on: 02/29/2012 08:10 pm »
Are they both going stay inside the VAB while the program waits for the new launch system or will they just have them sit outside unused for the next few years? Is it just the one that is in the VAB or are they both getting modified?

Right now only CT-2 is in the VAB in High bay 2. HB 1 has a MLP stored in it right now. HB 3 is going to undergo modifications to support SLS and HB 4 is storing Atlantis, so there isn't an inside place for CT-1. Remember, these machines have been basically outside ever since they were built in 1963. They are designed for it. The big advantage of having the crawler in the VAB is because they have removed some of the roof panels and that they can use the VAB cranes instead of having to set up mobile ones. If no work is going on and they want to do other work in the HB, they'll move the CT outside.
« Last Edit: 02/29/2012 08:10 pm by JayP »

Tags: CT 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography