Author Topic: The Crawler-Transporter thread  (Read 254869 times)

Offline blazotron

• Non est ad astra mollis e terris via
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: The Crawler-Transporter thread
« Reply #60 on: 06/28/2007 07:02 am »
Anyone know how deep the stone on the crawlerway goes?  I'm also interested in knowing how much (all or just the top 6 inches, etc) of this gets replaced when that has to be done, and how often it is done.  Thanks.

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
  • Liked: 6476
  • Likes Given: 154
« Reply #61 on: 06/28/2007 09:01 am »
blazotron - 28/6/2007  9:02 AM

Anyone know how deep the stone on the crawlerway goes?  I'm also interested in knowing how much (all or just the top 6 inches, etc) of this gets replaced when that has to be done, and how often it is done.  Thanks.

Average depth is 2 meters (7ft)
Makeup:

0.8 meters (2.5 ft) hydraulic fill,
0.9 meter (3ft) graded limestone,
0.3 meters (1 ft) selected fill, asphalt sealer,
10.16-20.32 cm (4-8 in) of river rock on top (8in on the curves and 4in on the straightaway)

Offline Jamie Young

• This custom rank is currently being decided on
  • Denver
  • Liked: 36
  • Likes Given: 140
« Reply #62 on: 07/01/2007 11:53 pm »
Launch Fan - 27/6/2007  8:56 PM

Just wait for the monster crawlers for Ares V!

Yeah, from what it sounds like on L2, they'll be much much bigger with six sets of tracks. :)

Offline MechTech

• Veteran
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #63 on: 07/03/2007 01:49 am »
It gets replaced when needed unless the budget will not allow , like right now .

There is a large section that needs to be dug up and have new rocks added but they don't have the $$ to do it . Maybe soon they will slip it into the budget and get it done .

Offline MechTech

• Veteran
« Reply #64 on: 07/09/2007 03:19 am »
Pic of the Sprocket assembly and gear cluster , removed for shoe program (repair cracks in sprockets )

Bottom is picture of brand new gear cluster assembly . The sprocket was removed since it was brand new and put into service to replace a sprocket that was cracked too badly to repair .

For height comparison , if I stood beside the sprocket it would be just below my head and I am 6'2" .

Offline MechTech

• Veteran
« Reply #65 on: 07/09/2007 03:37 am »
Couple more random crawler pics , I have a ton of em .

Offline Dana

• Regular
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #66 on: 07/10/2007 12:31 am »
Is that a muffler?
"Don't play dumb with me! You're not as good at it as I am!"-Col. Flagg

"'Second Place' is just the first loser."-Bobby Allison

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 1275
« Reply #67 on: 07/10/2007 12:37 am »
Dana - 9/7/2007  7:31 PM

Is that a muffler?
Looks like it. A really, really big one, too.

Offline MechTech

• Veteran
« Reply #68 on: 07/10/2007 02:46 am »
Two different mufflers . Old style and new style . The old one looks like a traditional muffler , the new ones look like a grey box .
New ones have pipes leading out from under the crawler and are alot less noisy than the originals . The downside is the extra room the mufflers took up .

Offline STSFan10

« Reply #69 on: 07/10/2007 03:08 am »
Ha, imagine going to the local auto parts shop and asking for a muffler that size! :D
"Damn it's good to be a Cylon.....There ain't no Earth anyway."

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 1275
« Reply #70 on: 07/10/2007 03:19 am »
MechTech - 9/7/2007  9:46 PM

Two different mufflers . Old style and new style . The old one looks like a traditional muffler , the new ones look like a grey box .
New ones have pipes leading out from under the crawler and are alot less noisy than the originals . The downside is the extra room the mufflers took up .

Thanks for the info. Quieter is probably better for everyone monitoring and following close by, regardless of the extra space, though, yes?

A couple additional crawler detail questions ... the large sets of disk brakes for the track drivetrains - how often are the pads replaced (and even the disks themselves), and what type of hydraulic system do they use?

Offline JWag

« Reply #71 on: 07/10/2007 06:12 pm »
MechTech, if you have any more pictures that show details of how the trucks are steered and how they're attached to the chassis, I would be grateful to see them.

Offline JMS

• Liked: 111
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #72 on: 07/10/2007 09:19 pm »
astrobrian - 22/5/2006  4:54 PM

I bet the concrete wouldn't last long under that kind of wieght

I've long been curious about this too.
Can any of our KSC folks comment on how the VAB floor fares... is maintained/serviced?

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 18373
  • Likes Given: 397
« Reply #73 on: 07/11/2007 02:03 am »
JMS - 10/7/2007  5:19 PM

Can any of our KSC folks comment on how the VAB floor fares... is maintained/serviced?

At the pad, 8' x 4'  sheets of plywood cover the concrete on the pad deck crawler way

Offline MechTech

• Veteran
« Reply #74 on: 07/11/2007 02:30 am »
Jim - 10/7/2007  9:03 PM

JMS - 10/7/2007  5:19 PM

At the pad, 8' x 4'  sheets of plywood cover the concrete on the pad deck crawler way

They are actually 10' x 4' but yes they cover the pad surface with plywood . The VAB has asphalt track that get reworked from time to time . Engineering did say for the Constellation they were going to replace the asphalt with concrete . They squish the asphalt out alot and tear up the roads that cross the crawlerway . The ground observers call in to the cab and let them know when we are on or off of asphalt because they have to slow down and if the trucks are turned , it shreds the pavement .

The plywood is laid down not to protect the concrete or asphalt but to be used as lubrication . In prior years they put down plywood and then sprayed Murphy's Oil Soap ontop of the wood . That made it even easier to turn the trucks for alignment of the MLP to it's proper resting place on the pad or in the VAB . They stopped using the soap when a person slipped and broke something walking across it .
The plywood is also dangerous FOD in all areas it's used . It must be dogged down or sandbagged down to the ground . Years ago a engineer had both his legs broken when the wind got under a piece , lifted it , and hit him (or so the story goes) .

Pretty much anything under the tread belts gets squished . Every now and then a bird gets run over :(
They follow along eating bugs while the CT is in motion . Just like when mowers run over a field , the crawlers vibrations set the bugs off and they start moving . The birds know it and show up for the feast ...... sometimes they pay a price .

Online Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2947
  • Likes Given: 277
« Reply #75 on: 07/11/2007 02:47 am »
JMS - 10/7/2007  3:19 PM

If my calculations are right, the surface pressure is 62 psi or about 9000 psf.  As concrete goes, that isn't very much.  We routinely put about 1 million pounds of force on 6 square feet of concrete using bolts (1157 psi, 167,000 psf).

I'll bet the load on the MLP supports (don't know what they're called - one of you will correct me) is way, way higher (per unit of area) than the CT tracks put on the VAB floor.  That's what tracks are designed for - spreading out the load.

Offline MechTech

• Veteran
« Reply #76 on: 07/11/2007 02:48 am »
MKremer - 9/7/2007  10:19 PM

MechTech - 9/7/2007  9:46 PM

Thanks for the info. Quieter is probably better for everyone monitoring and following close by, regardless of the extra space, though, yes?

A couple additional crawler detail questions ... the large sets of disk brakes for the track drivetrains - how often are the pads replaced (and even the disks themselves), and what type of hydraulic system do they use?

The pads are replaced if needed when PM's are done . Two trucks worth of brakes are serviced during the PM . If memoery serves me correct it's every 6 months so all brakes are serviced once a year . There are two different brakes on each disc . One set is parking and the other is service . Parking brakes are run by hydraulic DOT5 brake fluid . The service brakes are air brakes similar to other air brake applications on heavy duty tracks and busses . The air brakes are controlled by a pedal in the cab . The hydraulic parking brakes are controlled by a switch and it runs a electric over air system . The air is used to depress a diaphram in a cylinder that is attached to a master cylinder , similar to what is in your car . The assembly is called a "Power Cluster" and is simply air over hydraulic .

The parking brakes are smaller than the service brakes and the pads get very little wear since they apply when the crawler is stopped .
The service brakes don't get used very much either , the crawler normally coasts to a stop unless there is an emergency .

When the PM's are done , all of the components of the system are torn apart , cleaned , inspected , and all the seals and worn materials are replaced with new .

Offline JMS

• Liked: 111
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #77 on: 07/11/2007 02:57 am »
Lee Jay - 10/7/2007  9:47 PM

If my calculations are right, the surface pressure is 62 psi or about 9000 psf.  As concrete goes, that isn't very much.  We routinely put about 1 million pounds of force on 6 square feet of concrete using bolts (1157 psi, 167,000 psf).

I'll bet the load on the MLP supports (don't know what they're called - one of you will correct me) is way, way higher (per unit of area) than the CT tracks put on the VAB floor. That's what tracks are designed for - spreading out the load.

Thanks for the answer Lee Jay.
In that case, why can't the crawlerway be concrete?

Offline MechTech

• Veteran
« Reply #78 on: 07/11/2007 03:13 am »

I'll bet the load on the MLP supports (don't know what they're called - one of you will correct me) is way, way higher (per unit of area) than the CT tracks put on the VAB floor.  That's what tracks are designed for - spreading out the load.

I've only ever heard them called MLP Mount Mechanisms  .

Offline MechTech

• Veteran
« Reply #79 on: 07/11/2007 03:14 am »
JMS - 10/7/2007  9:57 PM

I'll bet the load on the MLP supports (don't know what they're called - one of you will correct me) is way, way higher (per unit of area) than the CT tracks put on the VAB floor. That's what tracks are designed for - spreading out the load.

Thanks for the answer Lee Jay.
In that case, why can't the crawlerway be concrete?

Lubrication .
The rocks offer lubrication to help the CT trucks turn . Might sound weird but it's true .

Tags: CT 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography