Author Topic: STS-135: SRB Recovery Ship Viewing  (Read 36232 times)

Offline spork3000

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: STS-135: SRB Recovery Ship Viewing
« Reply #80 on: 07/12/2011 06:06 AM »
Here are a few more pics of Liberty Star on Sunday after leaving the locks - I stuck around on the 401 to get a shot of the ship with the VAB in the background. Thanks to the folks on this thread for making it possible for me to see the SRB recovery - it was a nice close to an amazing (and historic) launch.

Offline stuart_wildcat

• Space Junkie
  • Davenport, FL
« Reply #81 on: 07/12/2011 04:02 PM »
Here are a few more pics of Liberty Star on Sunday after leaving the locks - I stuck around on the 401 to get a shot of the ship with the VAB in the background. Thanks to the folks on this thread for making it possible for me to see the SRB recovery - it was a nice close to an amazing (and historic) launch.

The second picture is definitely one to frame the end of the day.

We saw Liberty Star going under the bridge and into the locks but didn't go over to the locks.  Since we thought it might be in the locks for a while we started driving back.  As we were passing over the first bridge on 528 we saw that she had left the locks and thought about taking a picture like that.  It was too late to safely stop though.

Glad you posted the picture to share with everybody. 

Let me echo the thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread.  I mainly started it to collect info people would want to know about viewing them so they didn't have to dig through the "viewing" thread to gets bits of info.  Glad so many people found it useful.

This was only our second trip out to see the recovery ships.  Since it sounds like SLS will have a similar (but bigger) booster we look forward to doing this in the future also!  Years ago I also taught a software training class at ATK so it is neat to see the beginning and end of the booster process.

Offline stuart_wildcat

• Space Junkie
  • Davenport, FL
« Reply #82 on: 07/13/2011 02:44 AM »
For those that didn't see it in the FD 5 thread and have been following this thread for all things SRB there is a great video on YouTube from NASA.

Great video showing a lot of the processing none of the public ever sees.  Up close for things like removing the parachute reels, unloading the frustrum, and lifting the booster itself out of the water once it is over at the Air Force Station dock.

I think the video also answers the question of why Freedom Star went to the locks relatively "late" in the morning Monday.  It looks like the first booster was tied to Liberty Star until Monday morning when they transfered it to the area they use to lift it out of the water.  No sense for Freedom Star to go over to the locks to hand off the booster to Liberty Star if she was still doing that.

Also makes sense why there isn't video of Freedom Star in the locks.  They were busy filming the lifting of the booster out of the water.

Offline TTim

« Reply #83 on: 07/14/2011 06:02 PM »
Sorry for being off topic here but has anyone ever heard the SRB's coming back down before splashdown?  I realize the range restrictions would probably prevent this from happening but have any of the recovery ships possibly heard anything?  The intertank videos have audio so I am wondering if their "songs" make it to the surface.

Have any of the SRB's bumped while on the way back down?  Their similar migrations away from the shuttle have always been interesting.

Thanks for all of the great tow in pics and video.
« Last Edit: 07/14/2011 06:04 PM by TTim »

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 11164
  • Likes Given: 331
« Reply #84 on: 07/14/2011 06:05 PM »
Sorry for being off topic here but has anyone ever heard the SRB's coming back down before splashdown? 

Some of the videos have sound

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 248
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #85 on: 07/14/2011 06:45 PM »
Sorry for being off topic here but has anyone ever heard the SRB's coming back down before splashdown? 

Some of the videos have sound

I've never watched video of the SRB's falling that have audio. I think you might be thinking of the video from the actual SRB itself?

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 11164
  • Likes Given: 331
« Reply #86 on: 07/14/2011 07:30 PM »
That's what I meant

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 248
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #87 on: 07/14/2011 07:32 PM »
Gotcha. That's not what he was looking for, he already notes that he's heard it on the SRB videos. He was wondering if the sound could be heard from the ground, my guess is that's not a very loud process let alone one that could ever be heard from any sort of distance.

Offline JayP

• Liked: 2
« Reply #88 on: 07/16/2011 01:38 AM »
The SRBs have to be traveling above mach 1 for some portion of the rentry. In some of the videos taken of them falling, you can see the condensation effects of them slowing below the speed of sound. If that happens after the boosters overfly the recovery ships, the crews should hear a sonic boom. I've never heard of anyone reporting that though.

Offline Davidgojr

• Lead & Producer PROJECT SOAR
  • Texas
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #89 on: 07/16/2011 06:06 PM »
The SRBs have to be traveling above mach 1 for some portion of the rentry. In some of the videos taken of them falling, you can see the condensation effects of them slowing below the speed of sound. If that happens after the boosters overfly the recovery ships, the crews should hear a sonic boom. I've never heard of anyone reporting that though.

There is a video on the NASA TV Youtube channel where you can hear the sonic booms as they fly overhead the recovery ships.

Tags: