Author Topic: Name Suggestions For New SD HLV  (Read 128182 times)

Offline majormajor42

• Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 221
Re: Name Suggestions For New SD HLV
« Reply #480 on: 11/09/2011 10:21 AM »
Does Nasa have a place to submit name suggestions for the new HLV?

Given how badly they were burnt with the competition to name ISS Node 3, I strongly doubt it. ;D

Yeah, at best you get "Colbert Rocket", at worst "Baba Booey"

but seriously, has anyone on the inside actually heard anything about NASA at some point wanting names for the SLS rocket(s)
...water is life and it is out there, where we intend to go. I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man or machine on a body such as the Moon and harvest a cup of water for a human to drink or process into fuel for their craft.

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is the salient metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 620
  • Likes Given: 324
« Reply #481 on: 11/09/2011 12:36 PM »
I can't resist:

The Cancellation?  Note the 2 "ells".

Why did I ever click on this thread?
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline Pastor Bill

• Central MA
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #482 on: 11/10/2011 01:05 PM »
I'm going to change my last suggestion from "Enterprise" to Kayleigh, after my daughter...

Offline TomH

• Vancouver, WA
  • Liked: 901
  • Likes Given: 317
« Reply #483 on: 01/01/2012 04:29 AM »
It's interesting that NASA hasn't mentioned any possible names yet.  Maybe with all the shuttle replacement programs that have crashed over the last two decades they decided to wait until the program actually makes it to production before giving it a name.

If that happens, the program will pretty much have risen from the ashes of Saturn, Shuttle, and Ares all.  At that point, it would be appropriate to name it Phoenix.  Giving it that name now would be premature in that if it were canceled prior to production, the name would become a laughing stock: Newest NASA Rocket Fails to Rise From the Ashes; Crashes and Burns (Again) Before Making It to the Pad.

The closest thing to a prior rocket by that name is the Navy's AIM-54 Phoenix long range air-to-air missile, which is now out of production.  That weapon's primary purpose was as a countermeasure against Soviet bombers carrying anti-ship missiles, a serious threat to U.S. carriers during the cold war.  The sole launch platform was the F-14 Tomcat. The Shah of Iran did purchase some F-14s and AIM-54s, but the official U.S. government position is that U.S. personnel sabotaged the Tomcats irreparably at the start of the revolution. Though the probability is unlikely, there is a very small possibility that the name Phoenix could gain a negative connotation if Iran managed to use any of these old AIM-54s in a future war.

This is a really long shot, but I wonder if it is at all possible that NASA is waiting until SLS reaches production with plans then to name it Phoenix.  If so, I like it.

Offline Atlan

• Europe
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #484 on: 01/04/2012 01:17 AM »
Tantalus...never destined to reach his goal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tantalus
Your mind is software. Program it.
Your body is a shell. Change it.
Death is a disease. Cure it.
Extinction is approaching. Fight it.

Online MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 1138
  • Likes Given: 2166
« Reply #485 on: 02/20/2012 08:59 AM »
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Tags: