Author Topic: Best space game ever, lets hear em'!  (Read 35922 times)

Offline Zoomer30

• Veteran
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Best space game ever, lets hear em'!
« on: 05/13/2006 10:24 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Space_Station

Personally one of the best games period, space or otherwise, I have ever played, even to this day, is one from HesWare called "Project: Space Station".  Released on the Commodore 64 in 1987-88, the game finally gave you a sense of what it is like to run a space program.  You had to plan your budget, then buy your space station hardware, then plan your launch manifest, and place different payloads on each.  

You had a 2 shuttle fleet, Challenger and Atlantis.  You would launch, drop off your hard ware and land.  Depending on how good/bad your landing was, that would dictate how long the shuttle would be in for repairs.  Best you could do was a 7 day turn around, not sure what worst was, once had one that was over 50 days due to missing the runway (bad tile damage).  The launch screen (see screenshot below) would start at T-30 secs and go to liftoff.  You had to watch the weather, it would randomly change.  If at T-6 the wind was too high or there were thunderstorms, there would be a scrub.  With t he cursor bar, you could move it to HOLD if the weather got bad, and then go back to Go when it got better.  I know a few times it took me 3 or 4 attempts to get off the ground (makes me wonder if Mr Paper Bag Man was on board :) )

The game also had a huge database of fictional astronauts that you could pick and choose from to fly the missions and stay on the station.  At some point you would add a "lab module" to the station and be able to pick up projects (there were TONS of different projects).  Some paid more then others but also needed more power.  If I remember correctly each crew member on a project needed a "experiment pack" to use on the project.  That was one of the things you needed to bring up to the station.  Care needed to be taken in picking the people who would be on the project, if there were personality conflicts, the progress reports would be poor.  It was easy to fix though, just needed to read the "pyshe eval" on each person.  Would not want a neat freak with someone who was messy, that sorta thing.  And you also had to PAY these people, so you had to watch the bottom line.

Station construction was simple, an astronaut either from the shuttle or in the station would go out in a pod.  This was before I had ever seen 2001 Space Odyessy, once I did I saw where they got the pod from :) Another thing the pod was used for was for lauching communication sats.  These could be bought and brought up to orbit, to have ready in case an "order" for one was placed.  They could be lauched to LEO or GSO, the GSO ones needed a PAM, so they cost more but paid better.

The game was not without bugs.  After a few years of playing it (I dont normally look for bugs) I noticed that if you put all your starting money into one area (like Flight Ops) and then slowly started moving the bar back, when the number would try to go below 10,000M the game would for some reason give you and extra 1,000M.  Do that a few times and you can make a station that goes around the world (I did that :) )  Another small bug was that the shuttles had 30 days of life support.  If at the end of 30 game days there was anyone on that ship, they would die.  The trick was just to keep everyone on the station.   I used to keep one ship in orbit at all times just in case I needed for something.  Transfer a pilot and commander and land, did not matter that the life support was done.

One of the best space games ever.  With todays hardware its scary to think what they could do, but I doubt todays market would support something so nitche.

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 600
  • Likes Given: 237
Re: Best space game ever, lets hear em'!
« Reply #1 on: 05/13/2006 11:30 PM »
Elite on the BBC B.

Offline Chris Bergin

RE: Best space game ever, lets hear em'!
« Reply #2 on: 05/14/2006 12:24 AM »
Errrr, Halo 2 on the XBox? :)

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #3 on: 05/14/2006 12:40 AM »
I loved that game, Zoomer 30.  Project Space Station was great, I only wish someone would modernize it.
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline Zoomer30

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 05/14/2006 01:20 AM »
Heck, id play it NOW :)  In fact I used to have a C64 emulator that I had that game on, on my PC.  Problem is it ran WAY to fast.

Another good game, not quiet on par with PSS is Apollo 18 from Accolade I belive.  Very good Apollo simuator.

Offline hyper_snyper

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #5 on: 05/14/2006 01:33 AM »
I'm surprised no one has said Orbiter   yet.  It's more of a simulation than an actual game though.

Offline Jamie Young

• This custom rank is currently being decided on
  • Denver
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #6 on: 05/14/2006 01:43 AM »
hyper_snyper - 13/5/2006  8:20 PM

I'm surprised no one has said Orbiter   yet.  It's more of a simulation than an actual game though.

Yeah, it's not a space game although you need an IQ of 400 just to download it.

Offline imfan

• Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: 05/14/2006 10:07 AM »
its not that bad. It only requires more then one clik. wait a minute I ll try it......................... actually the whole action needs 4 mousecliks since getting to orbiter homepage. try harder and I believe U can do it  ;)

Offline Zoomer30

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 05/14/2006 11:54 PM »
Orbiter is cool, kinda touchy however.  Sometimes I get add-ons that just refuse to work, for no reason.  I have messed with the shuttle flights on there.  I notice if you go into a scenario and change the "target heading" to something between 270 and 0 degrees it does NOT like it.  Ship will take off, do a a full 360 roll manuver, starting flying the right way (west if the heading is set to 270) then it freaks out and just starts to tumble.  

I know it should be able to fly to the west, would not make orbit (losing the eastward speed bonus).

The game is more a sandbox type of thing.  I personally would like a game where you can plan out your entire space program.  You pick the ships, the launch system, even devlop your own engines.  Could also have a ELV program where you could make money lauching payloads.  The game would never sell though, people are too "lazy" for a sim like that ;)  Not surprising that HesWare when out of business not long after PSS came out.  Just cant make enough money making cool games like that.

Offline zappafrank

« Reply #9 on: 05/15/2006 02:39 AM »
I had that game, you could never make any money for NASA.

Prophetic!

Offline Zoomer30

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 05/16/2006 01:16 AM »
It took me a few false starts, but I got quiet good at Project Space Station.  The game really never "ends" even though it says its a 15 year mission.  I played so much that I had a STS-00 since the game could not count over 99 for the missions.   It would be very cool to see a game like that again, but I just dont see the market for it  :(

Offline Rxke

« Reply #11 on: 05/16/2006 08:22 AM »
nacnud - 14/5/2006  2:17 AM

Elite on the BBC B.

Then you will love Oolite: an Open version of Elite, cross platform, free and a great modding community : http://oolite.aegidian.org/

The only problem with it is, it's such a time-waster, before you know it, it's dark outside, 2AM, sigh...  ;)

Offline mike robel

• Extreme Veteran
  • Merritt Island, FL
  • Liked: 230
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #12 on: 07/22/2006 09:20 PM »
Buzz Aldrin's Race to space.  You have to compete against other nations to get to the moon from nothing.  Different funding, payoff strategies, and so on.  There was also a board game version by task force games.

Offline PurduesUSAFguy

• Liked: 3
« Reply #13 on: 07/22/2006 09:54 PM »
I always really like Sierra's Outpost. You had to pick the supplies you were going to take with you on a starship to colonize a distant world, and then build the colony turn by turn. Gotta love not-real-time strategy games.

Offline tycho

« Reply #14 on: 07/23/2006 04:05 AM »
I am an hardcore gamer, i like everything about space, especially space-games.

but all best serious space-games is sadly old games, you can download them for free(its not illegal, its offically free) both games is not bigger then 15 MB.

1 SPACE SHUTTLE SIMULATOR(distrubtor VIRGIN, who dont know this company? :) )

ultra-realistic but old(ugly graphic, learn to live with it,but only cockpit view is nice) space simulator.
when i was young, about 12 year old, I played this game a lot, over and over.
Near every buttons of space shuttle cockpits(front, underdeck, back cockpit) in this game works!

this game is for my taste 100 times better then Orbiter, because
its space shuttle only game, you dont just keep pressing + for launch, this is using real launch shemes,
you have to input launch plan code into your shuttle-computer and such more for to preparation of shuttle launch, all much more realistic and real atmosphere.
Orbiter makers can learn and copy a lot from this game.

some screens here;

http://www.abandonia.com/games/547/download/images/games/Shuttle1.png" />
http://www.abandonia.com/games/547/download/images/games/Shuttle2.png" />
http://www.abandonia.com/games/547/download/images/games/Shuttle3.png" />
http://www.abandonia.com/games/547/download/images/games/Shuttle8.png" />

download link;
http://www.abandonia.com/games/547/download/Shuttle

2 BUZZ ALDRIN'S RACE INTO SPACE.

very fun and educational turn-based space sim/strategy game. you'll be suprised how realistic this is, space business and history together, you even can find some authenic scrubbed plans/draws of spacecraft/moonlander(there is true alternative bigger moonplan, that one bigger moonlander was named Jupiter) , with this game you can launch them!!
its very funny game but an big disappoint is that its too difficult game, i never succees to be first on the moon. USSR or USA computerplayer always is faster and before  then you.

some screens;

http://www.abandonia.com/games/183/images/games/Buzz%20Aldrins%20Race%20into%20Space2.png" />
http://www.abandonia.com/games/183/images/games/Buzz%20Aldrins%20Race%20into%20Space4.png" />
http://www.abandonia.com/games/183/images/games/Buzz%20Aldrins%20Race%20into%20Space1.png" />

download link;
http://www.abandonia.com/games/183/5

I wish I  can program my own nice 3d games like as Orbiter, then i should remake this game!!+ after moon history and future like as race to mars, add ESA and China players.
(if you like my plan, and you can help me, please pm me :) )

"We have lingered for too long on the shores of the cosmic ocean; it's time to set sail for the stars."
Carl Sagan

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 11255
  • Likes Given: 333
« Reply #15 on: 07/23/2006 04:15 AM »
tycho - 22/7/2006  11:52 PM

I
its space shuttle only game, you dont just keep pressing + for launch, this is using real launch shemes,
you have to input launch plan code into your shuttle-computer and such more for to preparation of shuttle launch, all much more realistic and real atmosphere.

Orbiter is not a game.  It is a simulation and not just for the shuttle.  Per your other post about not knowing much about space.  You should use Orbiter more and learn.  Orbiter is one of the best sim around and it is free.

Offline tycho

« Reply #16 on: 07/23/2006 04:28 AM »
Jim - 22/7/2006  11:02 PM

tycho - 22/7/2006  11:52 PM

I

Orbiter is not a game.  It is a simulation and not just for the shuttle.  Per your other post about not knowing much about space.  You should use Orbiter more and learn.  Orbiter is one of the best sim around and it is free.

i know orbiter is not a game but that space shuttle simulator is not just a game too.
space shuttle simulator is far more realistic too, because you can/need to push buttons for to operate your shuttle, you have to communicate with control room too, from beginning of transport crawl and fueling till back to earth landing.
do yourself fun, try ride the space shuttle whitout helps/advice of computer.

Orbiter is a good and realistic game but its not focused on space shuttle spacecraft and a little lesser realistic for space shuttle
(automatic launch or that sort kind things)
"We have lingered for too long on the shores of the cosmic ocean; it's time to set sail for the stars."
Carl Sagan

Offline kneecaps

• No Bucks, no Buck Rogers
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #17 on: 07/23/2006 11:15 AM »

The orbital mechanics etc etc are fantastic in orbiter, and the atmospheric model has come on leaps and bounds in the past few years. However what hasn't (as far as I can see), is the shuttle in orbiter, its still totally devoid of any systems whatsoever. Compare this to the likes of Apollo in orbiter, due to the fantastic work of NASSP team provides a nearly 100% immersive experience!

You have the fantastic Mercury addons, Gemini was making some progress when I last checked and the brilliant X-15 addon must be flown simply for the thrill of putting that think down on the dry lake :D.

It seems odd that such progress has not been made on the Shuttle side of things (of course I know, there are no paid developers and people do what they like), this is not a 'knock' on orbiter at all as its one of my favourite programs.

This is the reason many shuttle fans are not / will not (although they should), pay orbiter any attention when it comes to the shuttle, there is more to the shuttle than aerodynamics, we want systems ;D

Allow subject to scream. In space no one will hear.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 11255
  • Likes Given: 333
« Reply #18 on: 07/23/2006 01:03 PM »
Systems?   Who cares if the waterspray boilers are on or off.  Most sims are for flying not toggling a fake switch to see a fake light come on.

Offline cabbage

• Regular
« Reply #19 on: 07/23/2006 02:36 PM »
I think that depends on your mindset. I'm not a pilot, I'm a systems engineer by trade and playing system simulations is great fun (IMO!).

I remember playing a Shuttle Simulator (could have been that one) on the Mac in 88. I quite liked having to do "OPS 101 PRO" etc - it had a variety of missions, including MMU EVAs - though they didn't like you going too far away because this shuttle used to have random fires on board...

My understanding of orbital mechanics was very poor back then[*]- I was interested to try a manual re-entry, but all my attempts to point my nose at Earth and fire the OMS didn't work :)

EDIT: I realise that the program's orbital mechanics might not have been great either - I have no idea.

[*] It may not be much better now...

Tags: