Author Topic: Best space game ever, lets hear em'!  (Read 44281 times)

Offline tycho

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
RE: Best space game ever, lets hear em'!
« Reply #20 on: 07/23/2006 03:57 pm »
cabbage - 23/7/2006  9:23 AM

I think that depends on your mindset. I'm not a pilot, I'm a systems engineer by trade and playing system simulations is great fun (IMO!).

I remember playing a Shuttle Simulator (could have been that one) on the Mac in 88. I quite liked having to do "OPS 101 PRO" etc - it had a variety of missions, including MMU EVAs - though they didn't like you going too far away because this shuttle used to have random fires on board...

My understanding of orbital mechanics was very poor back then[*]- I was interested to try a manual re-entry, but all my attempts to point my nose at Earth and fire the OMS didn't work :)

EDIT: I realise that the program's orbital mechanics might not have been great either - I have no idea.

[*] It may not be much better now...

when I was 12 year young, I can handle shuttle very easy, from launch to orbit with payload as satelite, now I cannot handle it as I did  :o

I think childerens is sometime very cleve.

"We have lingered for too long on the shores of the cosmic ocean; it's time to set sail for the stars."
Carl Sagan

Offline elmarko

• I am very curious about THIS little conundrum
  • Preston, UK
    • ElMarko.org
  • Liked: 2
Re: Best space game ever, lets hear em'!
« Reply #21 on: 07/24/2006 02:17 pm »
The Shuttle that comes with Orbiter is naff. The one you can download, created by a few people together, is great. Systems? There are a lot of extra things you can do than just fly. Things to be turned on and off, and jettisoned, and opened, etc etc.

The problem with the old Virgin simulator (and something that plagues that new S3 sim - www.shuttlesim.be ) is that you cant take control of the orbiter and fly it wherever you want. There is NO manual control. You are following a script.

Offline tycho

« Reply #22 on: 07/24/2006 02:49 pm »
elmarko - 24/7/2006  9:04 AM

The Shuttle that comes with Orbiter is naff. The one you can download, created by a few people together, is great. Systems? There are a lot of extra things you can do than just fly. Things to be turned on and off, and jettisoned, and opened, etc etc.

The problem with the old Virgin simulator (and something that plagues that new S3 sim - www.shuttlesim.be ) is that you cant take control of the orbiter and fly it wherever you want. There is NO manual control. You are following a script.

wrong, you really can control space shuttle, even let it explode if you want by pressing very very wrong button. its not really script too, but you have to follow it to success the mission. (there is one mission you can choose, for free-play)

remind it too that is classic game, very professional, from crawl till back to earth landing, and everything into ONE 1,4 discfloppy!

"We have lingered for too long on the shores of the cosmic ocean; it's time to set sail for the stars."
Carl Sagan

Offline elmarko

• I am very curious about THIS little conundrum
  • Preston, UK
    • ElMarko.org
« Reply #23 on: 07/25/2006 12:20 pm »
Well that's a good point about older computers in general, nothing really specific to that game. :)

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #24 on: 10/11/2007 07:14 pm »
New game soon to be available

http://www.space-shuttle-mission.com/

Offline stockman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Southern Ontario - Canada
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #25 on: 10/11/2007 07:41 pm »
Jim - 11/10/2007  3:14 PM

New game soon to be available

That looks great!!!  what is that puppy likely to cost once released???
One Percent for Space!!!

Offline Gary

« Reply #26 on: 10/11/2007 07:53 pm »
kneecaps - 23/7/2006  12:15 PM

Orbiter is not a game.  It is a simulation and not just for the shuttle.  Per your other post about not knowing much about space.  You should use Orbiter more and learn.  Orbiter is one of the best sim around and it is free.

The orbital mechanics etc etc are fantastic in orbiter, and the atmospheric model has come on leaps and bounds in the past few years. However what hasn't (as far as I can see), is the shuttle in orbiter, its still totally devoid of any systems whatsoever. Compare this to the likes of Apollo in orbiter, due to the fantastic work of NASSP team provides a nearly 100% immersive experience!

You have the fantastic Mercury addons, Gemini was making some progress when I last checked and the brilliant X-15 addon must be flown simply for the thrill of putting that think down on the dry lake :D.

It seems odd that such progress has not been made on the Shuttle side of things (of course I know, there are no paid developers and people do what they like), this is not a 'knock' on orbiter at all as its one of my favourite programs.

This is the reason many shuttle fans are not / will not (although they should), pay orbiter any attention when it comes to the shuttle, there is more to the shuttle than aerodynamics, we want systems ;D

Orbiter is easily my favourite because it's open ended. I can plan missions to the planets or ISS. I can fly to the moon, I can land the shuttle, build a space station or fly a T-38 from Ellington to KSC.

How can you NOT love a system that is so open?

Offline vt_hokie

• Hazlet, NJ
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 436
« Reply #27 on: 10/11/2007 07:58 pm »
tycho - 22/7/2006  12:05 AM

1 SPACE SHUTTLE SIMULATOR(distrubtor VIRGIN, who dont know this company? :) )

ultra-realistic but old(ugly graphic, learn to live with it,but only cockpit view is nice) space simulator.
when i was young, about 12 year old, I played this game a lot, over and over.

Wow, blast from the past!  :laugh:  I had this game back when I was probably a freshman or sophomore in high school, when I had my ultra powerful 386 SX 16 MHz machine with 2 MB of RAM and a rather generous (for its day) 80 MB hard drive!   :)

Offline starbird

« Reply #28 on: 10/11/2007 07:58 pm »
Project: Space Station was one of my favorites on the C64.

Offline mike robel

• Extreme Veteran
  • Merritt Island, FL
  • Liked: 369
  • Likes Given: 260
« Reply #29 on: 10/11/2007 08:01 pm »
1.  Buzz Aldrin's Race to Space
2.  Task Force Games' Lift Off (Also makers of Star Fleet Battles)
3.  Microsoft Space Simulator.

Every now and then I sit and doodle out a game desing for "West to Mars - Manifest Destiny in the 21st Century"

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
  • Liked: 6533
  • Likes Given: 157
« Reply #30 on: 10/11/2007 08:16 pm »
We're talking game ? not sim ? why not have a little fun and play the space quest series from Sierra On-line, brings back memories....Roger wilco ;)

Offline hawkeye9797

« Reply #31 on: 10/11/2007 08:24 pm »
This will by far be the best shuttle game

If you don't believe me, download the 2 year old version from www.shuttlesim.be. Even this old version is great.

Offline Ford Mustang

• Live Coverage Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • Virginia
    • Astro95Media
  • Liked: 375
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #32 on: 10/11/2007 08:26 pm »
Best space simulator: Orbiter.

Best space simulator GAME: S3.  It's a game because it tells you what to do to launch into orbit, and orbit ops and stuff, but it's also a simulator, because if you don't do this, or don't do that, ops won't work, and various other things.  Screenshots'll come when I get home (I'm STILL at school!)

EDIT:  Just got beat to the link of S3.  It's a fantastic game, though!

EDIT2:  Pictures!  

Pic 1: External view of Endeavour on the launchpad.
Pic 2: APU/HYD switch panel.

Offline josh_simonson

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 10/11/2007 08:26 pm »
Orbiter is sort of game-like in that you can build a scenario (or download one) and attempt to accomplish the mission within arbitrary time/fuel constraints.  It is kind of twitchy though, always a bummer to accidentally leave the spacecraft stabilized by RCS and fast forward the clock and run out of fuel...  Ooops...

It's also nice for testing out ideas for rockets by tweaking the parameters on generic SSTO or TSTO LVs to see what kind of capabilities such a craft may have.

Offline josh_simonson

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 10/11/2007 08:29 pm »
Oh, spending a few evenings tinkering with orbiter also provides enough insight to orbital dynamics to prevent embarrassing stupid questions here - which is a big plus.  ;)

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #35 on: 10/11/2007 08:35 pm »
hawkeye9797 - 11/10/2007  4:24 PM

This will by far be the best shuttle game

If you don't believe me, download the 2 year old version from www.shuttlesim.be. Even this old version is great.

read what revived the thread

Offline j2_

« Reply #36 on: 10/11/2007 08:37 pm »
I recently tried the old virgin space shuttle game by running it in DOSbox. However, going through the launch scenario didn't make much sense. None of the gages (height and velocity tapes) on the screen moved correctly. MECO happened at something like 12 minutes after main engine start.

It seemed pretty cool at first, but after playing around with it for a while, it didn't seem to match up to reality at all. Perhaps it just doesn't work in DOSbox very well.

Offline Andy_Small

• Space Geek
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #37 on: 10/11/2007 08:44 pm »
I like Orbiter.  I'm not any good at it and feel stupid when using it

But I still like i. :)

Offline Zoomer30

• Veteran
« Reply #38 on: 10/12/2007 12:38 am »
The Virgin space game is way to old to play on current PCs.  I remember playing that game in the dorm PC lab at school in 1994 and noticed how far off the MET clock got.  Just a case of the PC being too "fast" for the game (it was a 486/33 Mhz HP) :D

Offline Zoomer30

• Veteran
« Reply #39 on: 10/12/2007 12:40 am »
That S3 game is cool, it shows ALL the steps before launch, even shows the wings moving in the test and the SSME nozzles moving.  It was this game that pointed out to me that after the SSME test pattern the engines move to far outer positions so that at start up the bells dont "clang" together.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography