Author Topic: LIVE: STS-134 Flight Day 6 - Focused Inspection, Pope, EVA-2 Prep  (Read 77292 times)

Offline GoForTLI

• Taking LIMITS to INHIBIT since 1964
  • Houston, TX
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 8
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened. -- Douglas Adams

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 1834
  • Likes Given: 1118
Mr. Cain is in the building and Mr. Humphries is getting ready...probably be a couple of minutes, but relatively soon.

Offline psloss

Mr. Cain brought something for show and tell. :)  In the briefing room, should be shortly.
« Last Edit: 05/21/2011 08:32 PM by psloss »

Offline Chris Bergin

Mr. Cain brought something for show and tell. :)

Bet it's a tile ;)

Offline Chris Bergin

Offline GoForTLI

• Taking LIMITS to INHIBIT since 1964
  • Houston, TX
  • Likes Given: 8
« Last Edit: 05/21/2011 08:35 PM by GoForTLI »
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened. -- Douglas Adams

Offline Chris Bergin

FI was successfully completed.

Plenty of cryo if they need it, but not expecting to use it (+3 days).

No new anomalies.

Focus on the TPS clearance.

Offline Chris Bergin

Cleared it already it seems.

Offline Chris Bergin

Cleared with plenty of margin, based on point cloud data. 219 degrees is max heating. Margin is much higher. All good results.

Recommend to clear the area. Vehicle cleared for entry.

Nice.

Offline Chris Bergin

Heh, it's sort of a tile.

Offline mtakala24

so the red was the RTV that held the gap filler in place, not the thing under the tile which would have indicated the ding was deeper.

Offline Chris Bergin

Philip asks about the amount of work DAT did.

I've got to run and update the article :D

Offline racshot65

• Aaron Kalair
  • Coventry, England
  • Likes Given: 0
LeRoy Cain

Successful completion of the FI earlier today
Worked on prep for EVA2 for the rest of the day
Plenty of cryo and capability on orbit if we need it later, but we donít anticipate needing it. Have greater than 3 days

MMT:
No new anomalies
All damage sites are now cleared
Analysis teams verified how much tile remained in the cavity
Analysis showed area was clearly OK
Took point cloud data and developed a 3D model of the cavity and from this determined it was safe
Margin much higher than it needs to be
No dissenting opinions

Questions

Q: Talk about how much work it takes to clear this area ?

A: Itís a large team, as theres lots of different areas of expertise. In addition to technical experts theres safety representation. Data has to be handed from one team to the next to do the analysis. Photo team do the dimensional analysis and give this data to thermal and structural people. Also need to run models. One of the assessments already done was very conservative and we laid this analysis over another and it was more than obvious this clearly enveloped the case.

Q: Was the crew informed the TPS was cleared ?

A: Gave them an initial indication that the data looked very good and they expected to clear it

Q: Did you see this damage occur on SRB footage?

A: Havenít been through all the SRB video, seen a few segments of it, havenít seen this incident in the video.

Q: Do the debris strikes seen here need addressing for 135

A: Donít know yet, will do an assessment of all the events seen. Know that some of the incidents were due to it being ET 122 and not having all the mods.

Q: Having extra cryo means you could keep the vehicle at the station longer ?

A: Yes, have no intention to do this or items to do with extra time.

Q: How important is it to have a picture of the orbiter docked at the station for you?

A: Would love to see it, will be an incredible picture to have.

Q: What temps will the outside of the tile be exposed to during reentry?

A: Temp varies around 3000 degrees on RCC and nosecap. As you go back, underside and tiles see 500 Ė 2000 degrees.

Q: Talk about the split in the  DAT team ?

A: Not unusual to have a split opinion. Hard to ascertain how much of the tile was missing. Some of the team have very well trained eye. Expect differing opinions on shape and size of damage. Would be sceptical if the whole team agreed on the size of the damage based on initial data.  Made sense to go get more data was some risk involved but this FI was relatively straight forward and we expected high quality data. So it was a good way to put a solid conclusion on this issue.

Q: If this damage was on the left side would it create different issues?

A: Would have involved a different assessment. Have potential for extra heating. Suspect it would still be cleared.

Q: Issues with plume impingement on Soyuz undocking?

A: Pay a lot of attention to not pluming the windows. Star trackers are sensitive to FOD.  Will close star tracker doors for undocking, analysis shows no concern though. Donít want to foul the lenses on the cameras, will point them away from the plume area. Same with OBSS.

Q: How did this damage compare to the 118 ding?

A: 118 had areas of damage that were deeper in terms of how much tile was lost. Size wise there pretty close.

Q: Anything you want to say about the DAT?

A: Team is very capable. Have came a long way since 114. Continue to learn and improve. People and tools. Have a disciplined process, pleased to see the patience and attention to detail by the team. Teams should be proud of themselves.

Offline racshot65

• Aaron Kalair
  • Coventry, England
  • Likes Given: 0
I have a question for Philip, how do you always get to ask the first question ?   :D

Offline Chris Bergin

Thanks Aaron. Will set up the FD7 thread.

Offline psloss

I have a question for Philip, how do you always get to ask the first question ?   :D
That should probably be an easier question to answer. :)  They've tried some different audio setups here during the mission; the current one is a microphone stand.  I'm sitting closest to it.

They used to have people who would walk around with a microphone -- as you see at KSC; however, they don't have anyone available right now.

Offline psloss

Heh, it's sort of a tile.
Mr. Cain was nice enough to hang around to let us take stills and video; I got the latter, but I can't tell yet if I did even as well as the live shots.  With the TV lights, it was hard to capture the shadow to provide some sense of depth.  We did get some extra explanation, though.

(They also tried to include different sized Post-It notes on the board. :) )

Offline Chris Bergin

I'm sure I speak on behalf of everyone on site that you're doing fine work for us all in Houston :)

Offline brueyh1976

• Armchair Astronaut
  • Southampton, UK
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 3
I'm sure I speak on behalf of everyone on site that you're doing fine work for us all in Houston :)

Chris I'm sure you do :)

Philip, thank you for taking the time to do this on our collective behalf :)
"Disovery, Houston - Roll Program"  "Roger Roll Discovery"

Offline psloss

Thanks, Chris -- it's been more than worth it.  Extended the stay for Monday night; then have to regroup to get ready for California next week.

Tags: