Author Topic: SpaceX Sets LAS Integrated Test Fire  (Read 4955 times)

Offline RocketEconomist327

• Rocket Economist
  • Infecting the beltway with fiscal responsibility, limited government, and free markets.
  • Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 62
SpaceX Sets LAS Integrated Test Fire
« on: 04/25/2011 11:16 pm »
SpaceX Media information:
The Dragon's side-mount launch abort system will be designed and built to the point of a full-duration engine firing on the ground by next May.

Today is April 25th, 2011 @ 6:13 CST

The Question:

Is 13 months and five days enough time to design, go through PDR, evaluate, fix, go through CDR, build and test by 31 May 2012 at 11:59PM?

Tony Stark madness.  Love him or hate him, Musk has "gravitas".

Wanted this in a separate thread so we can see who is the closest to being right.

Waiting to see who has "gravitas".

VR
TEA
RE327
« Last Edit: 04/26/2011 03:25 am by Carl G »
You can talk about all the great things you can do, or want to do, in space; but unless the rocket scientists get a sound understanding of economics (and quickly), the US space program will never achieve the greatness it should.

Putting my money where my mouth is.

Offline jabe

• Regular
  • Liked: 83
  • Likes Given: 5
"ballsy"
can i say that?
going to be fun to watch the pace..of everything that Spacex is doing...they are biting a lot off in one go...is it too much for the people resources/expertize they have??
jb
« Last Edit: 04/25/2011 11:20 pm by jabe »

Offline mrmandias

• US
  • Liked: 29
  • Likes Given: 34
Is that May 2011 in the SpaceX calendar or the Gregorian calendar?   ;)

Offline joek

• Liked: 853
  • Likes Given: 427
They're being a bit loose with the word "system" and what is expected.  A more accurate statement would be:
Key components of the Dragon's side-mount launch abort components will be designed, test articles constructed, and a static-fire test of the engine by next May.

From the SAA, Milestone 9, May 2012:
1) Initial static-fire testing of the engine.
2) Initial testing of the tank.
3) Initial testing of key components.

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 503
  • Likes Given: 5086
My bets are on Mid September.  ;)
Remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our rights & freedoms, and for those injured, visible or otherwise, in that fight.

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 368
  • Likes Given: 226
Side bets taken on who Musk blames it on when they don't make it.  It's never his fault.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
Side bets taken on who Musk blames it on when they don't make it.  It's never his fault.

NASA's HR standard.
Remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our rights & freedoms, and for those injured, visible or otherwise, in that fight.

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • South coast of England
  • Liked: 383
  • Likes Given: 172

Environmentalists (or other locals) banning testing in Texas.

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • South coast of England
  • Liked: 383
  • Likes Given: 172
{snip}
The Question:

Is 13 months and five days enough time to design, go through PDR, evaluate, fix, go through CDR, build and test by 31 May 2012 at 11:59PM?

13 * 2.4 = 31.2 months
5 * 2.4 = 12 days

giving 31.5 months (2 years 7.5 months)

Which is December 2013.

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 2756
  • Likes Given: 1
"ballsy"
can i say that?

Big, round, brass ones at that.
« Last Edit: 04/26/2011 01:03 am by docmordrid »
DM

Offline neilh

• Pasadena, CA
  • Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 148
Does anyone have a sense for the long pole(s) in the SpaceX LAS engine test? From my completely naive perspective, it seems like it should just be a straightforward modification of their Draco engines. What takes such a long time?
Someone is wrong on the Internet.
http://xkcd.com/386/

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 2756
  • Likes Given: 1
Draco is only ~90 lbf of thrust. The LES/landing thrusters are going to need many times that.
« Last Edit: 04/26/2011 01:35 am by docmordrid »
DM

Offline R.Simko

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 23
It wouldn't surprize me if the abort system isn't already mostly designed.  My bet is that the full-duration engine firing will be December of 2012.  Although I rather that he's right and can pull it off in May 2012.

Offline rjholling

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0

Heh.  My parents live in Waco.  SpaceX's facility is actually not far at all from downtown.  Everyone knows when they are testing testing. ;)

That said, most think its cool  8)

Offline Norm Hartnett

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 56
  • Likes Given: 2
It wouldn't surprize me if the abort system isn't already mostly designed.

Oh yeah, no doubt.

My bet is that the full-duration engine firing will be December of 2012.  Although I rather that he's right and can pull it off in May 2012.

I'll put my money on an early completion of almost all of the early milestones. They may not make the full up test by May 2012 but not for a lack of trying.
“You can’t take a traditional approach and expect anything but the traditional results, which has been broken budgets and not fielding any flight hardware.” Mike Gold - Apollo, STS, CxP; those that don't learn from history are condemned to repeat it: SLS.

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia

Heh.  My parents live in Waco.  SpaceX's facility is actually not far at all from downtown.  Everyone knows when they are testing testing. ;)

That said, most think its cool  8)

It's cool because it's money and jobs - something that can always move as we have seen in many other areas. Just a fact.

I'm sure it would be annoying to those living closest to the stands, but those are the realities of life.

Offline Mark S

• Dallas, TX
  • Liked: 165
  • Likes Given: 36

LOL! That's a good one. Never been to Texas have you? We're 15 years into a plan to meet EPA clean the air standards in Dallas, with no visible progress, and with our "beloved" Gov. Perry and the other incorrects in Austin fighting the EPA all the way.

If any SpaceX dollars would flow into Texas as a result of this test, you can bet that the Texas Council on Environmental Quality will be Elon's best friend, and the locals can choke on his exhaust for all they care.
« Last Edit: 04/26/2011 03:22 am by Mark S »

Tags: