Author Topic: Space centre in Leicester (UK), worth visiting?  (Read 976 times)

Offline buel

• Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 0
Space centre in Leicester (UK), worth visiting?
« on: 04/14/2011 08:06 AM »
Hi,
I've long been thinking about visiting the so-called Space Centre in Leicester but i thought that the website made it look a little as if it's target was children/schools. I may be wrong but could i ask for any other people's opinions who may have been there?

Offline simpl simon

• Regular
  • Liked: 21
Re: Space centre in Leicester (UK), worth visiting?
« Reply #1 on: 04/14/2011 09:32 AM »
If you are in the area, it is worth a visit, but I would hesitate before recommending an expensive trip.
As you deduce, the centre is oriented towards space education, and depends on school outings to cover its basic operating costs.
When I went (in 2007, I think), they had a modest exhibition of launch vehicles, including a Blue Streak, and some full sized satellite models. They also had a Spacelab pallet structure standing outside completely unprotected. OK, it wasn't a flight unit, but I still think it deserved more care.
There are a number of interactive "games" demonstratng various aspects of space travel. If you get there early enough you may be able to play for awhile without having to fight off the hordes of school kids.......

Offline starbase1

• Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: 04/14/2011 10:13 AM »
I'd agree with that assessment. It's OK, and worth a look if you are in the area, but more than a bit thin in terms of good exhibits for adults.

Worth seeing, but not worth going to see?

Nick

PS - On the other hand, I was hugely impressed when I finally got to go and see the big radio telescope at Jodrell Bank last year, and I think the new visitor centre should be open very very soon, if not already.

Offline marshallsplace

• UK
    • music website
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: 04/14/2011 10:25 AM »
I have a year membership (at no extra cost) for me and my children (3 and a 5 year old) and we all have a great time.  There are a lot of educational exhibits, but some  hardware too.   To name some: Soyuz,  Blue streak, Thor, Apollo fuel cell,  ISS lab mock-up and model, space suit, seat, some rocket motors, full size satellite models (if you look up!). 

There's  stuff on the space race and Apollo landing, on planets, stars and the universe too.

For me it's a no brainer as I live so close!

Offline Rik HS

• Avid Lurker
  • Warwickshire, England
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: 04/14/2011 03:44 PM »
It's interesting, but not so fantastic that you would travel a long, long way just to visit IMO.

The unflown Soyuz is the most interesting thing there.

Tags: