Author Topic: Princeton Aerospace Program  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Jason1701

• Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 39
Princeton Aerospace Program
« on: 04/03/2011 10:18 PM »
Hello,

I was wondering if you NSFers could help me with a difficult decision. I have a choice between two great undergraduate programs: Mechanical at Princeton, or just Aerospace elsewhere.

Thanks for any advice.
« Last Edit: 06/21/2013 10:06 AM by Jason1701 »

Offline RocketEconomist327

• Rocket Economist
  • Infecting the beltway with fiscal responsibility, limited government, and free markets.
  • Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 62
Re: Princeton / USC Aerospace Programs
« Reply #1 on: 04/04/2011 05:54 PM »
1) Get a degree Mechanical > Aero but the main thing is you get a degree.

2) The skrool you graduate from has some pull, but your interview where you can show your interpersonal skills as well as your aptitude will be huge.

3) Volunteer for as many projects as you can get your hands in. 

If you do this your "work opportunities" will be good.

VR
RE327
You can talk about all the great things you can do, or want to do, in space; but unless the rocket scientists get a sound understanding of economics (and quickly), the US space program will never achieve the greatness it should.

Putting my money where my mouth is.

Offline neilh

• Pasadena, CA
  • Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 148
« Reply #2 on: 04/04/2011 11:03 PM »
Hello,

I was wondering if you NSFers could help me with a difficult decision. I have a choice between two great undergraduate programs: Mechanical and Aerospace at Princeton (would cost me $35k/year) or Astronautical at the University of Southern California ($10k/year for me). Has anyone heard about or experienced either of these programs? How do they differ as to class intensity, research, and work opportunities?

Thanks for any advice.

First off, congrats: Those are both great schools. I have several friends who've been quite happy with their experience at both schools, although unfortunately none who've specifically done aero/astro.

Judging from your blurb, I'm guessing you're a newspace fan. One thing to keep in mind is that USC is about 7 miles away from SpaceX's headquarters, and SpaceX recruits at the USC career fair (I don't know about Princeton's). Being in SoCal also makes it easier to attend launches in Mojave and potentially do internships with the various companies there. I imagine it'd also be inspirational to see the rockets from Vandenberg launching overhead.
Someone is wrong on the Internet.
http://xkcd.com/386/

Offline vt_hokie

• Hazlet, NJ
  • Liked: 92
  • Likes Given: 219
« Reply #3 on: 04/05/2011 01:43 AM »
Princeton's a great town, and the university has a beautiful campus.  If you end up there, Triumph Brewing Company is a cool place to grab some food and craft beer!  ;)

As you mentioned, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering are part of the same department at Princeton (as they are at many schools) but I tend to say if aerospace is where your interest lies, tailor your degree program accordingly!  But don't expect a ton of aerospace jobs in the NYC metro region.  (After I was laid off at Skynet, I did interview for a position with SES World Skies in Princeton....failed to get that one, though!  And there are a few other companies that come to mind - Lockheed Martin builds A2100 satellites in Newtown, PA and there's Boeing and a couple of other helicopter manufacturers down in the Philly area, just to name a few examples.) 
« Last Edit: 04/05/2011 04:18 AM by vt_hokie »

Tags: