Author Topic: Boeing: SLS Rocket Work Needed To Avert Layoffs  (Read 68504 times)

Offline RocketEconomist327

• Rocket Economist
  • Infecting the beltway with fiscal responsibility, limited government, and free markets.
  • Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 62
Re: Boeing: SLS Rocket Work Needed To Avert Layoffs
« Reply #180 on: 04/06/2011 01:35 AM »
<snip>

b) SDHLV was supposed to cost less (per year) than we have been spending on Shuttle. What happened?

-Alex

The reality of government bureaucracy.

VR
RE327
You can talk about all the great things you can do, or want to do, in space; but unless the rocket scientists get a sound understanding of economics (and quickly), the US space program will never achieve the greatness it should.

Putting my money where my mouth is.

Offline gospacex

• Liked: 536
  • Likes Given: 604
« Reply #181 on: 04/06/2011 01:45 AM »
This is the real reason we need SLS -  jobs!!
With all due respect Danny and I am sure you deserve it, but what about preservation of leadership in capability and American exceptionalism.

You want American exceptionalism? Stop emulating Soviet space program then (big government space projects).

For goodness sake.  Get a clue.  Because we have nothing, we are now sending our money to Russia, with hat in hand, for a ride to our station.

That's exactly what I meant: "big government space project" = FAIL (sooner or later)

Ok, let's let commercial do everything.  Oops.  Forgot that was all government funded as well.  And he who controls the funding.....

*Only* funding by government wouldn't be too bad. But here we also have *design* by government...

Offline padrat

• Payload Packer and Dragon tamer...
  • Where Dragons roam....
  • Liked: 757
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #182 on: 04/06/2011 02:01 AM »
Mr Chris! Mr Chris! Gospacex isn't listening!

Lol, sry, had to :)

Now Chris knows what my 4yr old's teacher deals with on a daily basis!

If the neighbors think you're the rebel of the neighborhood, embrace it and be the rebel. It keeps them wondering what you'll do next...

Offline Lurker Steve

• Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #183 on: 04/06/2011 03:13 AM »
"The United States is by far the largest investor.  The United States also did by far the majority of the on-orbit assembly via the capabilities of the shuttle." does not equate to  "So it is our station. "

Actually there was a time when the Russian space program was severely strapped for cash. They needed funds to keep the Progress and Soyuz flights going. I think we helped with some funding back then (might have even bought a Soyuz or two, memory is fuzzy), as well as allowing them to fly the tourists for a method if generate additional funding.

I wish they would give us a similar break right now and provide a free crew seat or two.

Offline OpsAnalyst

• Mary Lynne Dittmar
  • Washington, DC
    • MaryLynneDittmar.com
  • Liked: 272
  • Likes Given: 120
« Reply #184 on: 04/06/2011 06:19 PM »
"The United States is by far the largest investor.  The United States also did by far the majority of the on-orbit assembly via the capabilities of the shuttle." does not equate to  "So it is our station. "

Actually there was a time when the Russian space program was severely strapped for cash. They needed funds to keep the Progress and Soyuz flights going. I think we helped with some funding back then (might have even bought a Soyuz or two, memory is fuzzy), as well as allowing them to fly the tourists for a method if generate additional funding.

I wish they would give us a similar break right now and provide a free crew seat or two.

We didn't "allow" them to fly tourists.  They _told_ us they were gonna fly tourists.  It created one hell of an uproar.  NASA's initial response was not just no but hell no (especially the astronaut office, which was understandably concerned about untrained newbies floating around in ISS volume.)  It took quite a number of intense negotiations before all of that got worked out.  But we didn't "allow" anything.  Their Soyuz.  Their module.  Their "partnership" in ISS with us.  Period.

The other thing to remember is that they kept ISS alive during the Shuttle stand down during the 2 1/2 years of Return to Flight, during which they did _not_ abrogate contracts and rake us over the coals for more dollars.  They could have.

Offline OpsAnalyst

• Mary Lynne Dittmar
  • Washington, DC
    • MaryLynneDittmar.com
  • Liked: 272
  • Likes Given: 120
« Reply #185 on: 04/06/2011 06:21 PM »

We didn't "allow" them to fly tourists.  They _told_ us they were gonna fly tourists.  It created one hell of an uproar.  NASA's initial response was not just no but hell no (especially the astronaut office, which was understandably concerned about untrained newbies floating around in ISS volume.)  It took quite a number of intense negotiations before all of that got worked out.  But we didn't "allow" anything.  Their Soyuz.  Their module.  Their "partnership" in ISS with us.  Period.

The other thing to remember is that they kept ISS alive during the Shuttle stand down during the 2 1/2 years of Return to Flight, during which they did _not_ abrogate contracts and rake us over the coals for more dollars.  They could have.

And all this (including me) is off topic...

Tags: