Author Topic: Astronauts Inc.: The Private Sector Muscles Out NASA  (Read 2648 times)

Offline nooneofconsequence

• no one is playing fair ...
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something" - Plato

Offline tigerade

• Low Earth Orbit
  • Liked: 50
  • Likes Given: 36
Re: Astronauts Inc.: The Private Sector Muscles Out NASA
« Reply #1 on: 12/19/2010 09:50 PM »
Good article, thanks for sharing.  I am interested in the part where astronauts talk about so-called "black zones", where an ascending rocket cannot abort for a period of time.  Does anyone know how long the "black zone' for a crewed Dragon to be?  According to the animation I saw, it looks like the escape tower separates during the second stage, which is pretty late.  I remember Musk saying that the escape system could abort the flight all the way up to orbit almost (I think).  Anyone know about this?

EDIT: This is the animation I'm talking about, if anyone's curious.

http://www.spacex.com/multimedia/videos.php?id=37&cat=recent
« Last Edit: 12/19/2010 09:51 PM by tigerade »

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 8585
  • Likes Given: 5600
« Reply #2 on: 12/19/2010 10:44 PM »
Let's all remember that this is an article written by the institution which named Ares I the Best Invention of the Year for 2009. Just saying.
« Last Edit: 12/19/2010 10:54 PM by Robotbeat »
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline SpacexULA

• Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 73
« Reply #3 on: 12/19/2010 11:07 PM »
Let's all remember that this is an article written by the institution which named Ares I the Best Invention of the Year for 2009. Just saying.

Broken clock is right twice a day.
No Bucks no Buck Rogers, but at least Flexible path gets you Twiki.

Offline LegendCJS

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: 12/19/2010 11:14 PM »
Good article, thanks for sharing.  I am interested in the part where astronauts talk about so-called "black zones", where an ascending rocket cannot abort for a period of time.  Does anyone know how long the "black zone' for a crewed Dragon to be?  According to the animation I saw, it looks like the escape tower separates during the second stage, which is pretty late.  I remember Musk saying that the escape system could abort the flight all the way up to orbit almost (I think).  Anyone know about this?

EDIT: This is the animation I'm talking about, if anyone's curious.

http://www.spacex.com/multimedia/videos.php?id=37&cat=recent

That animation is out of date and inconsistent with what has been known about the launch escape/abort system for years now.

Edit- "out of date" is a bad term- I don't believe that there were ever plans to have a tower type escape system in the first place.  Its been pusher type since day one iirc.
« Last Edit: 12/19/2010 11:16 PM by LegendCJS »
Remember: if we want this whole space thing to work out we have to optimize for cost!

Offline vt_hokie

• Hazlet, NJ
  • Liked: 92
  • Likes Given: 244
« Reply #5 on: 12/19/2010 11:19 PM »
It's the logical progression for the private sector to take over the operation of proven technology systems.  NASA should not be a launch vehicle operator or a taxi service for transporting humans and cargo to/from LEO.  But there is still a need for government supported long term R&D, and true scientific exploration.  That is where federal agencies like NASA still have a critical role.

It's also worth noting that in the past, it has always been a public-private partnership, with NASA being a customer of the various aerospace manufacturers. Of course NASA is still funding and providing oversight to companies like SpaceX, so I guess the real change is the end of the cost-plus contract era and the fact that private companies will eventually operate their own manned systems much as they operate their unmanned systems today.
« Last Edit: 12/20/2010 12:08 AM by vt_hokie »

Offline iamlucky13

• Liked: 102
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #6 on: 12/20/2010 11:37 PM »
You know, that article actually was half-way decent for a piece directed at Time's target audience...

...except for the absurd headline. A private company providing a demonstration launch under a NASA contract is not them "muscling out NASA." It's the two of them working together to test a new type of relationship.

Offline kkattula

• Melbourne, Australia
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: 12/21/2010 01:42 AM »
That article has a fair number of technical errors, and opinions disguised as facts.

My favourite bit was where it praised Orbital Sciences for "no talk at present of trying to fly crew". Three days after Orbital Sciences announced their CCDEV2 bid.  LOL

http://www.orbital.com/NewsInfo/release.asp?prid=756

« Last Edit: 12/21/2010 01:56 AM by kkattula »

Offline iamlucky13

• Liked: 102
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #8 on: 12/21/2010 05:43 AM »
That article has a fair number of technical errors, and opinions disguised as facts.

http://www.orbital.com/NewsInfo/release.asp?prid=756

True. The headline set my expectations so low I was pretty generous in my assessment. Compared to that, everything else amounts to nitpicks.

Offline kkattula

• Melbourne, Australia
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #9 on: 12/21/2010 05:54 AM »
The article actually seems to be in opposition to its headline.

Tags: