Author Topic: NASA sells PC with restricted Space Shuttle data  (Read 1561 times)

Online The-Hammer

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 1
NASA sells PC with restricted Space Shuttle data
« on: 12/08/2010 08:26 AM »
NASA officials failed to wipe sensitive agency data from computers before releasing them to the public, a violation of procedures that are part of the plan to securely end the Space Shuttle program, an audit released on Tuesday said.

Full Story.

Just my opinion, but given the low costs of hard drives these days, there's no real reason to sell off the hard drives. Selling the rest of the computer is fine, but the hard drive goes in a shredder, followed by industrial electromagnet.
Grant Imahara: Oxygen deficiency alarm? Is that something I should be worried about?
NASA worker: Only if it goes off.

Online butters

• Liked: 398
  • Likes Given: 150
Re: NASA sells PC with restricted Space Shuttle data
« Reply #1 on: 12/08/2010 09:29 AM »
NASA officials failed to wipe sensitive agency data from computers before releasing them to the public, a violation of procedures that are part of the plan to securely end the Space Shuttle program, an audit released on Tuesday said.

Full Story.

Just my opinion, but given the low costs of hard drives these days, there's no real reason to sell off the hard drives. Selling the rest of the computer is fine, but the hard drive goes in a shredder, followed by industrial electromagnet.

The ridiculously low cost of hard drives aside, there's no reason to fill up landfills with yet more e-waste that isn't at the end of its useful life. Just follow the appropriate procedure of writing zeroes over the entire disk before selling it off. If they really want to be paranoid, they can then write ones over all of those zeroes to thwart even the most sophisticated forensic analysis tools.

Offline MCC Tech

• Houston, Texas
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NASA sells PC with restricted Space Shuttle data
« Reply #2 on: 12/08/2010 03:09 PM »
And in my department, that's exactly what we do.   ALL hard drives in machines slated for excess are removed and connected to a separate workstation for (multiple pass) wiping to US DoD standards.    Failed hard drives that can't be recognized by the workstation are put on the degausser to be wiped that way.

Tags: