Author Topic: Uragan  (Read 13099 times)

Offline hoku

• Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: Uragan
« Reply #20 on: 03/11/2011 04:09 PM »
Uragan
Although Spiral itself never made it to the launch pad, it is rumoured that the design was reused and enlarged to build a piloted space interceptor known as "Uragan" (Russian for "Hurricane") in the 1980s. This craft was to have been launched by a Ukrainian-built Zenit expendable booster and was intended to intercept and destroy (if necessary) military Space Shuttle missions launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base. Its armament purportedly consisted of space-to-space missiles.
To this day, Russian officials continue to deny that this craft ever existed, leading some to believe that the purported space interceptor was all part of a successful Soviet disinformation program meant to scare the American military into thinking twice about its plans for the Space Shuttle.

Is there any truth in this? Does anyone has more info? Blackstar??
The CIA report lists "Soviet Proposals To Restrain Shuttle Activities", thus it seems that the Soviets (initially) considered the US shuttle as a military threat.

Offline ASTUTE

• RUS
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: 03/12/2011 05:13 PM »
Hoonte, i guess you'd mail to mr. Afanasiev's office (http://novosti-kosmonavtiki.ru/content/editors.shtml). He knows english well.

Offline archipeppe68

• Italy
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #22 on: 03/14/2011 09:31 AM »
I had the honour to contribute with a bunch of my drawings (especially American X-vehicles) to suhc outstanding book.

Too bad that it is only in Russian language.

BTW it is a GREAT pleasure for myself to know that some drawings of mine are currently onboard the ISS....

Offline ASTUTE

• RUS
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: 03/16/2011 06:44 AM »
You can look some pages from the bookhttp://www.buran.ru/htm/space_wings.htm

Tags: