Author Topic: STS-133: Troubleshooting and Pad Flow Latest/Updates  (Read 264585 times)

Offline stockman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Southern Ontario - Canada
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: STS-133: Troubleshooting and Pad Flow Latest/Updates
« Reply #60 on: 11/10/2010 01:21 pm »
current shot from this morning
« Last Edit: 11/10/2010 01:25 pm by stockman »
One Percent for Space!!!

Online Chris Bergin

Thanks GClark and Shuttlefan :) Seal coming out today.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline joseamatos

• Liked: 0
« Reply #62 on: 11/10/2010 02:04 pm »
Does anyone know when the technicians will determine how to fix the foam crack as well as making a decision to shoot for the November 30th launch window?

Offline stockman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Southern Ontario - Canada
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #63 on: 11/10/2010 02:15 pm »
wow.. talk about a pressure job - working on a critical piece of h/w.... webcams following your every move...Fellow engineers and management watching you up close and personal.. and now another camera man getting closeups...
« Last Edit: 11/10/2010 02:16 pm by stockman »
One Percent for Space!!!

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 3665
  • Likes Given: 1984
« Reply #64 on: 11/10/2010 02:54 pm »
...and now another camera man getting closeups...
Anticipating some NASA TV Video File footage later on, perhaps this week.  (Which would mirror similar footage obtained and eventually shown during the previous two cases.)
« Last Edit: 11/10/2010 02:55 pm by psloss »

Online rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1130
  • Likes Given: 134
« Reply #65 on: 11/10/2010 03:02 pm »
Does anyone know when the technicians will determine how to fix the foam crack as well as making a decision to shoot for the November 30th launch window?

Did you read the story?

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2010/11/sts-133-plan-to-repair-et-137-foam-cracks-at-pad/

Online DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 1081
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #66 on: 11/10/2010 04:30 pm »
The 7" QD has now been removed from the GUCP!
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Online Chris Bergin

Bad news on the tank. How bad is TBD, but I'll write it up and publish hopefully within the hour. Too many leechers on twitter etc to post more at the moment and might start a frenzy without context.
« Last Edit: 11/11/2010 02:29 am by Carl G »
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Chris Bergin

Developing story, so short article to start with:

STS-133: Structural defect/crack found under foam damage:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2010/11/sts-133-structural-defectcrack-found-on-et-137/

Offline sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 1396
  • Likes Given: 1315
« Reply #69 on: 11/10/2010 05:55 pm »
Clarification requests:  is the photo a view into the valley between a "hat section" stringer (on the right) and some as-yet unremoved foam (on the left)?  Is the apparent crack thus in the part of the stringer that is nominally flat up against the skin underneath?
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline TheGame0135

• NASA GRC Rotorcraft Drives Research Intern
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #70 on: 11/10/2010 05:56 pm »
I may be the narrow minded with this, but thank whatever god/person/unhuman thing you want to thank that they found this. I hope it's easily fixable and able to be in a timely fashion or, they're able to safe it to fly. Safety in my opinion, should always be #1 in any space program. Great work by the engineers and team at KSC. and great article (as always Chris, thought i'd help boost your ego some more ;-) ) Let the news flow in and no speculation about it. again great job to the NSF.com team for keeping us all up-to-date. very appreciated as always.

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2010/11/sts-133-structural-defectcrack-found-on-et-137/
"Human Spaceflight: While our path may not always be clear, our destiny is!"

Offline csmjr91090

« Reply #71 on: 11/10/2010 06:07 pm »
Great article Chris...I agree, safety should be #1 concern and we'll have to wait and see what pans out. Sure they have more than a few options to work with.

Offline Wayne Hale

• Liked: 398
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #72 on: 11/10/2010 06:33 pm »
This is troubling.  I don't recall ever having a problem with the metal.  A crack in the foam is relatively easy to understand and repair - relatively - but a crack in the metal structure of a stringer is going to take a significantly more difficult analysis.  Not only does this most likely have to be repaired - and that could be difficult - but understanding the root cause of the problem and developing flight rationale are going to be very difficult.  I am thinking that a launch this calendar year is in jeopardy.  Good luck to the team, if anybody can solve it the folks at MAF, MSFC, and the other centers can do it.  I hope I am being overly pessimistic and this turns out to be simple; but right now it doesn't look like it.

Offline shuttlefanatic

• Launches: 61-C, 91, 100, 119, 133, 134, 135. Landings: 26, 28, 32, 36, 41, 40, 44, 42, 58, 64, 66, 67, 76, 92, 100, 124, 126, 128.
  • SSP MET 11056d 21h 57m Flight time 1330d 16h 18m
  • San Diego, CA
    • Final thoughts...
« Reply #73 on: 11/10/2010 06:34 pm »

Good notes in the article, covering the issue without inciting panic. 

I'll also point out that other space news outlets have not yet broken the story at all.  :)

Online Chris Bergin

This is troubling.  I don't recall ever having a problem with the metal.  A crack in the foam is relatively easy to understand and repair - relatively - but a crack in the metal structure of a stringer is going to take a significantly more difficult analysis.  Not only does this most likely have to be repaired - and that could be difficult - but understanding the root cause of the problem and developing flight rationale are going to be very difficult.  I am thinking that a launch this calendar year is in jeopardy.  Good luck to the team, if anybody can solve it the folks at MAF, MSFC, and the other centers can do it.  I hope I am being overly pessimistic and this turns out to be simple; but right now it doesn't look like it.

Thanks for commenting! And concur with the teams who'll be tasked with the get-well.

Online Chris Bergin

Good notes in the article, covering the issue without inciting panic. 

Thanks, that was important. We never sensationalize.

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 3665
  • Likes Given: 1984
« Reply #76 on: 11/10/2010 07:18 pm »
Update posted on NASA.gov a few minutes ago:
http://www.nasa.gov/shuttle

(or http://www.nasa.gov/rss/133_update.xml)

External Tank Cracks Identified, Repair Plans Being Evaluated
Wednesday, November 10, 2010 3:13 PM

This morning during removal of external fuel tank foam insulation, which cracked during draining operations following the shuttle Discovery’s launch scrub on Nov. 5., technicians identified two cracks on a section of the tank’s metal exterior. They were found on the stringer, which is the composite aluminum ring located on the top of the tank’s intertank area. The cracks are approximately 9 inches long. Engineers are reviewing images of the cracks to determine the best possible repair method, which would be done at Launch Pad 39A.

Crews have repaired similar cracks during external tank production by removing the cracked aluminum and replacing it with a “doubler,” which is a twice-as-thick stringer section before replacing the foam insulation. 

Exact schedules and repair options still are being evaluated.
« Last Edit: 11/10/2010 07:22 pm by psloss »

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 648
  • Likes Given: 7354
« Reply #77 on: 11/10/2010 07:39 pm »

This morning during removal of external fuel tank foam insulation, which cracked during draining operations following the shuttle Discovery’s launch scrub on Nov. 5., technicians identified two cracks on a section of the tank’s metal exterior. They were found on the stringer, which is the composite aluminum ring located on the top of the tank’s intertank area. The cracks are approximately 9 inches long. Engineers are reviewing images of the cracks to determine the best possible repair method, which would be done at Launch Pad 39A.

Crews have repaired similar cracks during external tank production by removing the cracked aluminum and replacing it with a “doubler,” which is a twice-as-thick stringer section before replacing the foam insulation. 

Thanks. Sounds a bit more promising

(hoping for STS-134 to launch in the pre-planned timeframe) ;)

Offline AndrewSTS

• New York
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #78 on: 11/10/2010 07:53 pm »

Thanks for posting Mr Hale!

Offline Sarah

• Shuttle Hugger
  • 5 out of 4 people have problems with fractions
  • Iowa
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #79 on: 11/10/2010 08:14 pm »

So they are saying they will fix it at the pad. Wouldn't that support a launch at the end of the month or would they actually leave Discovery out on the pad for 3 months and work on it.
Photo Album
Launches: 51L, 133, 134, 135
Scrubs: 70
Landings: 135

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography