Author Topic: NASA to send man on one way trip to mars ?  (Read 6904 times)

Offline racshot65

• Aaron Kalair
  • Coventry, England
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
NASA to send man on one way trip to mars ?
« on: 10/28/2010 09:05 PM »
I know this is just sloppy reporting but can someone enlighten me as to what plan there actually referring to ?

On all the UK news programs today they've been saying "NASA is working with Ames to send man on a one way trip to mars by 2030"

Where have they got this from ?
« Last Edit: 10/28/2010 09:37 PM by racshot65 »

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 665
  • Likes Given: 195
Re: NASA to send man on one way trip to mars ?
« Reply #1 on: 10/28/2010 09:19 PM »
I'm not sure, and it seems to be creating headlines around the world.

Shoddy reporting indeed.

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 252
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #2 on: 10/28/2010 09:32 PM »
http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2010-10/%E2%80%98hundred-year-starship%E2%80%99-could-bring-humans-other-worlds-and-leave-them-there-forever

===

NASA and DARPA have joined forces to build something called a Hundred-Year Starship, according to the director of NASA’s Ames Research Center. Simon “Pete” Worden said NASA contributed $100,000 to the project and DARPA kicked in $1 million.

“The human space program is now really aimed at settling other worlds,” Worden said, according to a Singularity University blog that covered the event. “Twenty years ago you had to whisper that in dark bars and get fired.” (Worden added that he was fired by President George W. Bush.)

Beyond that, there are no details.

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 252
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #3 on: 10/28/2010 09:34 PM »
http://www.universetoday.com/76195/nasas-ames-director-announces-100-year-starship/

===

Worden also has expressed his belief that the space agency was now directed toward settling other planets. However, given the fact that the agency has been redirected toward supporting commercial space firms, how this will be achieved has yet to be detailed. Details that have been given have been vague and in some cases contradictory.
« Last Edit: 10/28/2010 09:35 PM by rdale »

Offline iamlucky13

• Liked: 102
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #4 on: 10/28/2010 09:41 PM »
I know of two possibilities:

1.) A recent paper in the Journal of Cosmology arguing that initial mission costs (not including later support) of a one-way mission would be cut by roughly 80% versus mission requiring return to earth.

http://journalofcosmology.com/Mars108.html
(more of an editorial than a practical paper, but still somewhat interesting)

2.) Claims that so far I've been able to follow back to a group called "The Singularity University" that Ames and DoD has provided slightly over $1 million in funding for feasibility studies of the concept called "100 Year Starship."

http://www.kurzweilai.net/nasa-ames-worden-reveals-darpa-funded-hundred-year-starship-program

CBS ties the two together saying that DARPA confirmed the "plans" but the actual quote they give is "it (DARPA) was working on a joint study with NASA Ames to explore the potential of developing 'breakthrough technologies' that would be needed for long-duration space missions." Apparently microwave thermal propulsion is one such technology.

The only thing that is clear to me from trying to dig into this is there is no plan to send a one-way mission to Mars by 2030. At best, there might be a relatively small ($1.1 million would cover 5-10 researchers for less than a year of work) feasibility study into the costs, challenges, and benefits of such a mission.

"Hey, what would be the pros and cons of this idea and how might it work?" is not a plan. It's a question.
« Last Edit: 10/28/2010 09:44 PM by iamlucky13 »

Offline DeanG1967

• Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: 10/29/2010 02:29 AM »
I could easily pick a few people to go on a one way trip if they need help.  Most are inside the beltway.

Offline iamlucky13

« Reply #6 on: 10/29/2010 02:49 AM »
I could easily pick a few people to go on a one way trip if they need help.  Most are inside the beltway.

Come on. Think of the children. How are we going to inspire our young to reach for the stars if we seed them with undesirables?

"Daddy, I don't want to grow up to be an astronaut and explore Mars. There's politicians there."

Offline mduncan36

• Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: 10/29/2010 03:20 AM »
As soon as I saw it reported here I knew it was, of course, nonsense. Near as I can tell the media took the notion that a study suggesting that one way trips would be much cheaper very seriously. I mean, a single academic exercise on colonization can only mean that NASA is going to sell tickets for a one way trip to Mars, right? Never mind that we are soon to be unable to get to orbit much less any farther than that.

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 985
  • Likes Given: 343
« Reply #8 on: 10/29/2010 04:14 AM »
Come on. Think of the children. How are we going to inspire our young to reach for the stars if we seed them with undesirables?
http://www.bash.org/?262417

enough said...
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline MP99

« Reply #9 on: 10/29/2010 12:12 PM »

"Daddy, I don't want to grow up to be an astronaut and explore Mars. There's politicians there."

We could rename it Felicity.

http://www.bash.org/?262417

enough said...

I'm browsing in my lunchtime at work, and got this when i tried to follow that link. This is probably not due to the link, more the site in general (but see also NSFW):-

Your organization's Internet use policy restricts access to this web page at this time.

Reason:
 The category "Tasteless" is filtered.

cheers, Martin

Offline iamlucky13

« Reply #10 on: 10/29/2010 05:14 PM »
It looks like a transcript from a BBS discussion:

<_kr4m3r> so many f***ing criminals, its Incorrect
<foniks`> heh, if we sent all the criminals to some empty continent and just left them there to die
<foniks`> and showed up like 50yrs later like, "sup?"
<foniks`> whatd u think they'd say?
<FoSZoR[bg]> something along the lines of, "G`Day mate"

Edit - realized I left a term spelled out that didn't need to be, since we were talking about filters, after all.
« Last Edit: 10/30/2010 01:31 AM by iamlucky13 »

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 985
  • Likes Given: 343
« Reply #11 on: 10/29/2010 06:34 PM »
It looks like a transcript from a BBS discussion:
IRC actually, bash.org collects IRC quotes.

Your organization's Internet use policy restricts access to this web page at this time.

Reason:
 The category "Tasteless" is filtered.

Your filters are configured correctly in this case.
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline tnphysics

• Regular
« Reply #12 on: 10/30/2010 02:02 PM »
Actually, I like the idea of permanent settlement. However, there would need to be constant exchange of at least some crew, even if some people are planning to stay until death.

Otherwise the psychological problems are probably insurmountable.

Also, any settlement where some will stay until they die requires a full fledged, state-of-the-art hospital with a resident doctor.
« Last Edit: 10/30/2010 02:04 PM by tnphysics »

Offline MySDCUserID

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 10/31/2010 05:18 PM »
My only question is, "where do I sign up?"

Offline ralphmagno

« Reply #14 on: 11/24/2010 01:51 PM »
hello,
 i am new here and living in Naples italy.yes i am American.
one way to Mars. what a dumb idea.
the idea of sending someone going  to mars is a good idea but a one way ticket
who will want to go on this trip.
probably the guy who thought this up.

there is someone who came up with a new plasma engine and the trip is now 39 days each way.i suspect someone will come up with another engine and makes the trip in 2 weeks each way.
ralph ;)

Offline Silmfeanor

• Utrecht, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 248
  • Likes Given: 520
« Reply #15 on: 11/25/2010 09:43 PM »
who will want to go on this trip.
probably the guy who thought this up.

I for one, and according to various (non scientific, but still ) polls quite a lot of people. I'll not go on about the VASIMR engine and the like, but the animo is certainly there, at least for me. And I am 22!

Tags: