Author Topic: A DIRECT handover – Movement leaders feel their work is complete  (Read 38818 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Could we add a question mark to the title of this thread?  Re: A DIRECT handover – Movement leaders feel their work is complete?

The Direct Team may have thought their work was complete, but it is far more likely that it has just begun...

The thread title is the article's headline - which I wrote ;)

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 2519
  • Likes Given: 907
Could we add a question mark to the title of this thread?  Re: A DIRECT handover – Movement leaders feel their work is complete?

The Direct Team may have thought their work was complete, but it is far more likely that it has just begun...

The thread title is the article's headline - which I wrote ;)

Chris, I have to tell you that was an exceptionally well written article. I really like how you wove our quotes together to form a coherent whole. It actually gave a very good summary of how we started, what we went thru and how it all came out in the end, all in a very readable and informative format. Well done!
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Online Chris Bergin

Thanks :) But it's always the quotes that make an article (the same way good NTD content will make a decent IPR-47 update article, which I'm writing now).

They were very good quotes :)

Offline HappyMartian

• Tap the Moon's water!
  • Asia
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 2
Thanks :) But it's always the quotes that make an article (the same way good NTD content will make a decent IPR-47 update article, which I'm writing now).

They were very good quotes :)

Yep. Great writing and some very good quotes and a wonderful subject to write about...

See: A DIRECT handover – Movement leaders feel their work is complete
October 14th, 2010 by Chris Bergin 
At: http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2010/10/direct-handover-movement-leaders-work-complete/

Note, this phrase about Direct from the article's first sentence, "a group of professionals and non-professional engineers that created an architecture alternative to Constellation’s Ares vehicles".

Constellation, or CxP, was a plan. Direct is also a plan of which the Jupiter launcher is only one piece of the architecture. Even with the Jupiter/SLS, NASA and America still needs the Direct Team, one way or another. I know they won't just walk away from what they have helped to conceive.

Congratulations Team Direct! You are the parents of quadruplets. The first one is named SLS and you certainly had to help a lot on the birth of that one. Maybe the next three space babies will come into the world a little easier and maybe not. Please stand by and we'll see how much more help is needed...

Towards the end of the article there is this critical sentence, "The result of the Bill’s passing left the DIRECT movement with a decision to make; whether to continue pushing forward their own architecture and proposals, or to claim NASA is now on the correct trajectory, and to leave them to their own devices – without what could be deemed as outside interference."

Another quote that seems germane is, "'We met with Bill Gerstenmaier a matter of days before the President rolled-out his FY2011 plans in February and de-railed everything,' Tierney recalled." Methinks that Direct interfering with NASA wasn't and isn't the real question. The real issue was getting the White House folks on the right "trajectory" and then making sure they don't deviate from a 'proper flight path'... And to send astronauts or robots on accurate trajectories across large parts of the Solar System you usually need long-term help from a variety of conscientious and persistent people.

So, all things considered, including all their excellent public, private, and commercial work, in the same way that Superman and Batman never get to retire, the Direct Team will always be out there in the world and quietly ready to lend a guiding hand with the rest of the space babies and their delivery trajectories. Maybe the Direct Team members can also help to answer any space exploration architectural questions that the White House folks may get confused about... One way for that to happen would be if the White House crowd simply listened when NASA explained something technical. Because to tell you the truth, lots of those Direct folks work at NASA. If the White House folks could get a little bit better at listening to NASA, we might have a little less confusion in our nation's favorite house.

Maybe confusion is OK. We all have a bit of confusion sometimes, and that is why it is nice to have some informative websites like this one. Thank you Chris!

Cheers! ;)

Edited.
« Last Edit: 10/23/2010 01:17 PM by HappyMartian »
"The Moon is the most accessible destination for realizing commercial, exploration and scientific objectives beyond low Earth orbit." - LEAG

Offline HappyMartian

• Tap the Moon's water!
  • Asia
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 2

Sorry, but the DIRECT Team has already closed that project.   We have re-formed the team into a brand-new commercial company, and we are now focussing on pursuing something fresh, new and quite unrelated.

This is NASA's new program.   We fully support this direction as long as it doesn't stray too far off-course, and we wish NASA the very best with it.

Ross.

Great! Superman and Batman never really retire...  Proper trajectories and staying on-course is important...

My Best Wishes on all your commercial endeavors. And thanks for the four years of education in space exploration!

Cheers! ;)

Edited.
« Last Edit: 10/23/2010 01:55 PM by HappyMartian »
"The Moon is the most accessible destination for realizing commercial, exploration and scientific objectives beyond low Earth orbit." - LEAG

Tags: