Author Topic: Quick Summary of the Future of NASA  (Read 1958 times)

Offline spaceshuttle

• Extreme Veteran
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Quick Summary of the Future of NASA
« on: 09/24/2010 11:05 AM »
It's been months since I've last posted and I've lost track on a lot. Viewing pictures of the final ET a little while ago have been very sentimental, so in short, can someone give me a brief summary on the future of NASA?

-What are the odds (if any) the another Shuttle mission being added?
-What is the current intended lifespan for the ISS?
-Are there still any plans to begin the Orion/Constellation program despite the President's "private sector" proposal?
-What is the future of the Michoud center?
T-10...9...8...7...we're go for main engine start...4...3...2...1...0 and liftoff of Shuttle Daedalus as the National Aerospace System celebrates its 25th mission.

Offline madscientist197

• Regular
  • Liked: 2
Re: Quick Summary of the Future of NASA
« Reply #1 on: 09/24/2010 11:26 AM »
None of those issues have yet been resolved. I wouldn't necessarily expect them to be resolved any time soon, either.
John

Offline SpacexULA

• Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 73
« Reply #2 on: 09/24/2010 01:13 PM »
It's been months since I've last posted and I've lost track on a lot. Viewing pictures of the final ET a little while ago have been very sentimental, so in short, can someone give me a brief summary on the future of NASA?

-What are the odds (if any) the another Shuttle mission being added?
-What is the current intended lifespan for the ISS?
-Are there still any plans to begin the Orion/Constellation program despite the President's "private sector" proposal?
-What is the future of the Michoud center?

Like no time before, there is really no telling what NASA could look like in 2 years.
No Bucks no Buck Rogers, but at least Flexible path gets you Twiki.

Offline spaceshuttle

• Extreme Veteran
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: 09/24/2010 03:32 PM »
Wow, thanks for the responses. It's really upsetting to see that things are in such disarray.
T-10...9...8...7...we're go for main engine start...4...3...2...1...0 and liftoff of Shuttle Daedalus as the National Aerospace System celebrates its 25th mission.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #4 on: 09/24/2010 04:14 PM »

1) What are the odds (if any) the another Shuttle mission being added?
2) What is the current intended lifespan for the ISS?
3) Are there still any plans to begin the Orion/Constellation program despite the President's "private sector" proposal?
4) What is the future of the Michoud center?

I'll go a bit further past the correct answers above, with some opinion to help. Also use the news site, as we've got articles on all of this.

1) High odds given it's all green lights at NASA. *Just* needs the funding, which isn't there yet.

2) 2016, but pretty much a surefire thing it's 2020 (in fact, I think it "is" now 2020). Potential to go further.

3) Constellation has been running for years. Orion should survive. Ares won't. Missions TBD.

4) Dire. Only SD HLV will save that facility (and others) as we know it, I'd claim. Brilliant workforce there, have a huge amount of respect for their dedication.

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is the salient metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 623
  • Likes Given: 333
« Reply #5 on: 09/25/2010 12:36 PM »
Why are we in this handbasket?  And what committee decided to go to Tartarus?  Can we turn this thing around, please?
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline khallow

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #6 on: 09/28/2010 01:01 AM »

2) 2016, but pretty much a surefire thing it's 2020 (in fact, I think it "is" now 2020). Potential to go further.

My take now is that the ISS will survive till an accident takes it out or someone in the US wants the money/attention for a similar project.
Karl Hallowell

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 985
  • Likes Given: 343
« Reply #7 on: 09/28/2010 03:59 AM »
Wow, thanks for the responses. It's really upsetting to see that things are in such disarray.
Why upsetting ? Arent you looking forward for something better to come of this ? Are you happy with the progress that we have (not) made in space since  4 October 1957 ?
I know i'm not.
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Tags: