Author Topic: Wayne Hale sets up his own blog site  (Read 234038 times)

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 462
  • Likes Given: 4200
Re: Wayne Hale sets up his own blog site
« Reply #200 on: 02/10/2012 08:42 PM »
Latest from Mr Hale:

http://waynehale.wordpress.com/2012/02/09/a-few-word-about-this-picture/

He really doesn't mince words, does he. Another good read, and hope it gets to a wider audience, including politicians and the general public.

The politicians want to see value for the tax dollars spent, value as it relates to their constituents in their own 'pond' - sell them on the benefits it provides, currently, and it makes it harder for them to accept cuts in those areas.
« Last Edit: 02/10/2012 08:42 PM by robertross »
Remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our rights & freedoms, and for those injured, visible or otherwise, in that fight.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #201 on: 02/10/2012 09:15 PM »
I was just imagining if that photo had some of the people replaced by some of us.

TPS repair overview from Mr Hale: Nothing but wide eyes and big grins! NOAX guns for everyone!! ;D

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 8210
  • Likes Given: 5435
« Reply #202 on: 02/10/2012 09:16 PM »
Latest from Mr Hale:

http://waynehale.wordpress.com/2012/02/09/a-few-word-about-this-picture/

He really doesn't mince words, does he. Another good read, and hope it gets to a wider audience, including politicians and the general public.

The politicians want to see value for the tax dollars spent, value as it relates to their constituents in their own 'pond' - sell them on the benefits it provides, currently, and it makes it harder for them to accept cuts in those areas.
He never disappoints.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline iamlucky13

• Liked: 102
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #203 on: 02/10/2012 10:07 PM »
Quote from: Wayne Hale
If the constituency is interested in jobs, all government work had better look like a jobs program.  Sorry if you donít like it, but that is the fact of political life in America, then, now, and in the future.

I'll be frank. I don't merely dislike it. I hate it.

Admittedly, that's not exactly the representatives faults. It's our fault as voters.

But we're shoot ourselves in the foot when we choose what we do and who we elect based on jobs instead of needs. We invite growth of government, and therefore taxes, even in (or perhaps especially in) departments that don't need to grow to accomplish their tasks. We look for ways to spend money instead of to achieve results.

Unfortunately, I don't have a clue how to fix it. Mr. Hale is sadly very correct.

Offline dcporter

• Liked: 244
  • Likes Given: 398
« Reply #204 on: 02/11/2012 01:39 PM »
I'll be frank. I don't merely dislike it. I hate it.

Admittedly, that's not exactly the representatives faults. It's our fault as voters.

But we're shoot ourselves in the foot when we choose what we do and who we elect based on jobs instead of needs. We invite growth of government, and therefore taxes, even in (or perhaps especially in) departments that don't need to grow to accomplish their tasks. We look for ways to spend money instead of to achieve results.

Unfortunately, I don't have a clue how to fix it. Mr. Hale is sadly very correct.

It takes rare political leadership, and a good dose of circumstance, to pass an (any) intelligent, coherent policy through the stomach of representational, electoral politics and come out with something fully intelligent and coherent. Mr Hale's excellent point is that it's part of the system, and, to paraphrase Mr Churchill, it's the worst system until you look at all the other systems.

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 462
  • Likes Given: 4200
Remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our rights & freedoms, and for those injured, visible or otherwise, in that fight.

Offline Art LeBrun

• Photo freak
  • Orange, California
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #207 on: 02/26/2012 07:42 PM »
US Navy and USAF kept the same designation for several aircraft to get funding for "upgrades" when it really was a new design and they knew they couldn't get funding for a new aircraft.
1958 launch vehicle highlights: Vanguard TV-4 and Atlas 12B

Offline NASAGeek

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 4

Offline mtakala24

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #210 on: 04/18/2012 09:45 PM »
Latest post. Well written.

http://waynehale.wordpress.com/2012/04/18/how-we-nearly-lost-discovery/

That's what he tweeted during the Ferry. Thought it would be about the PAL ramp.

And I think we all remember the MMT presser, where Paul Hill ripped that stupid BBC reporter into shreads! :) Was awesome to see that live, felt like I was at a one sided boxing match and you could only cheer him on.

Not very well written as it was in the very early days of the site, but as a reminder:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2005/07/hitman-hill-lays-down-the-law/

And if Mr Hale sees this post, he'll remember that presser as he walked it just as Mr Hill had finished with that BBC guy, put his hand on Mr Hill's shoulder as if to say "I think he's dead, you can stop now" and took over.

Loved it.

Offline FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
  • Liked: 377
  • Likes Given: 154
« Reply #211 on: 04/18/2012 09:52 PM »
Latest post. Well written.

http://waynehale.wordpress.com/2012/04/18/how-we-nearly-lost-discovery/

That's what he tweeted during the Ferry. Thought it would be about the PAL ramp.

And I think we all remember the MMT presser, where Paul Hill ripped that stupid BBC reporter into shreads! :) Was awesome to see that live, felt like I was at a one sided boxing match and you could only cheer him on.

Not very well written as it was in the very early days of the site, but as a reminder:

And if Mr Hale sees this post, he'll remember that presser as he walked it just as Mr Hill had finished with that BBC guy, put his hand on Mr Hill's shoulder as if to say "I think he's dead, you can stop now" and took over.

Loved it.

Agreed. Extraordinarily interesting and well written post from Mr. Hale as always.

I personally remember that mission and when they had to actually do a spacewalk to inspect the bottom of the vehicle manually (believe it was this same mission) because of the loose gap fillers.

Always wanted to know more about the return to flight mission.
3-30-2017: The start of a great future
"Live Long and Prosper"

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #212 on: 04/18/2012 10:41 PM »
Yep. Steve Robinson on the end of the arm. Pulled out the gap filler and said "this big patient is now cured" - which was apt as the filler had some red glue on it, so it looked like an actual operation!

EDIT: Found an image!

And that reminds me of when Endeavour (I think) had a hyd leak on her NLG and the fluid was a red color. There was an image of a bandage type towel over the leaky strut and people noted it looked like blood.

We're going to miss all this with these capsules.

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #213 on: 04/18/2012 10:55 PM »

Loved it.

I don't remember seeing THAT briefing. I do have some briefings stored on my hard drive, but unless its one of those proprietary real player formated ones, which I couldn't get to play at all, I'm having no luck in finding it.

Which briefing was it?

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 2745
  • Likes Given: 7183
« Reply #214 on: 04/18/2012 11:04 PM »
Yep. Steve Robinson on the end of the arm. Pulled out the gap filler and said "this big patient is now cured" - which was apt as the filler had some red glue on it, so it looked like an actual operation!

And that reminds me of when Endeavour (I think) had a hyd leak on her NLG and the fluid was a red color. There was an image of a bandage type towel over the leaky strut and people noted it looked like blood.

I recall all the discussions on how they were going to remove the protruding gap fillers, special tools (saw) and how much force was going to be needed.  It was a highly delicate operation as to not cause any tile damage or loss. As I watched, I held my breath as he reached for the gap filler and then burst out laughing from the ease of removal and the release of the tension built up in meÖ :)
« Last Edit: 04/18/2012 11:05 PM by Rocket Science »
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Offline northanger

• Regular
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #215 on: 04/18/2012 11:08 PM »

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #216 on: 04/18/2012 11:18 PM »

Loved it.

I don't remember seeing THAT briefing. I do have some briefings stored on my hard drive, but unless its one of those proprietary real player formated ones, which I couldn't get to play at all, I'm having no luck in finding it.

Which briefing was it?

I know it was at JSC, I'm thinking STS-114 FD2 MSB, as opposed to post-MMT. I'd LOVE to see it again.

Awesome man.

Offline zerm

• Hypergolic cartoonist
    • Klyde Morris dot com
  • Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #217 on: 04/18/2012 11:18 PM »

I recall the US news media calling the gap-filler EVA as being "...the most dangerous, daring space walk ever..." I guess most of them forgot about Skylab 2 and Conrad and Kerwin's EVA to repair the SAS Wing- THAT was the most dangerous and daring EVA ever- and it remains so.

Offline Martin FL

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 62
  • Likes Given: 191
« Reply #218 on: 04/18/2012 11:30 PM »
I thought the PAL ramp that came off was far less weight than the Columbia ET piece? And was a good time after on the ascent?

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #219 on: 04/18/2012 11:36 PM »
I know it was at JSC, I'm thinking STS-114 FD2 MSB, as opposed to post-MMT. I'd LOVE to see it again.

Awesome man.

I do have these files seemingly from FD2:
mmt_briefing_072705.wmv with Mr. Parsons and Mr. Hale
status_brief_072705.wmv Mr. Engelauf and Mr. Shannon

You wrote your article on July 27th.
The Launch was on July 26th.

Then there is
status_brief_072805.wmv Mr. Hill and Mr. Shannon, and in this one Mr. Hill has different clothes compared to the image in you article.

Do I miss a briefing with Mr. Hill here..

Tags: