Author Topic: Copenhagen Suborbital  (Read 35387 times)

Offline Diagoras

• Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 45
Copenhagen Suborbital
« on: 08/22/2010 06:44 PM »
Not sure if this is the place to put this as these guys don't quite seem "commercial" - more like overgrown hobbyists. I heard about the through some friends on Reddit - apparently the Net has been all over these guys.

http://www.copenhagensuborbitals.com/

Apparently they have a floating launch platform which they plan to tow out to sea in a homemade submarine (not making this up) in order to send a human into a suborbital flight. First launch is scheduled in seven days time.

Anyone heard of them before? Willing to give them chances? Apparently the Danish government has been quite cooperative which surprises me.
"It’s the typical binary world of 'NASA is great' or 'cancel the space program,' with no nuance or understanding of the underlying issues and pathologies of the space industrial complex."

Offline Silmfeanor

• Utrecht, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 235
  • Likes Given: 503
Re: Copenhagen Suborbital
« Reply #1 on: 08/22/2010 08:02 PM »
They are indeed a bunch of hobbyists, working on al kinds of cool projects. They have a homemade submarine as you said, which is fully functioning. Their rockets are a serious notch over 99% of hobbyists though - As you can see on their front page, they plan to launch a serious rocket on a suborbital launch in 7 days.

This hobby group is seriously underrated - this launch is only a few days away, and I would not be suprised at all if they make it without a flaw.

Imagine the milestone - group of hobbyists making a succesfull suborbital rocket with a human passenger, topping 100 km height.

I have only my best wishes for these guys, been following them for a while.
« Last Edit: 08/22/2010 08:06 PM by Silmfeanor »

Online rklaehn

• telemetry plumber
  • germany
    • www.heavens-above.com
  • Liked: 92
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #2 on: 08/22/2010 08:14 PM »
They are indeed a bunch of hobbyists, working on al kinds of cool projects. They have a homemade submarine as you said, which is fully functioning. Their rockets are a serious notch over 99% of hobbyists though - As you can see on their front page, they plan to launch a serious rocket on a suborbital launch in 7 days.

The way I read it, they are planning to launch a vehicle that is capable of launching a human in principle. But they will first do several unmanned test flights before actually putting somebody in it.

They seem to have a similar approach to armadillo aerospace: first get something working, then think about performance.

They had a test of their hybrid propulsion system which showed truly horrible combustion efficiency. But it seems that they are OK with that since they want to get something off the ground first and optimize it later.
Try the ISS 3D visualization at http://www.heavens-above.com/ISS_3D.aspx

Offline Silmfeanor

« Reply #3 on: 08/22/2010 08:24 PM »
The way I read it, they are planning to launch a vehicle that is capable of launching a human in principle. But they will first do several unmanned test flights before actually putting somebody in it.

They seem to have a similar approach to armadillo aerospace: first get something working, then think about performance.

They had a test of their hybrid propulsion system which showed truly horrible combustion efficiency. But it seems that they are OK with that since they want to get something off the ground first and optimize it later.

You are correct, but I think that, since this is a hobbyist orginazation, is the correct way to approach the problem. They rely on donations, and a launch is a very strong incentive to attract more donations and attention. The people like to tinker more then they like to sit in meeting rooms, and that certainly is a better option with a group like this.

But remember, they made a submarine, a working one. This is a group with serious plans - if they added a second stage on this rocket of theirs (after it is optimized ) I can imagine perhaps getting a small cubesat into orbit?

edit: here is their submarine. Videos of test firings of their rockets are on the site itself.
« Last Edit: 08/22/2010 08:30 PM by Silmfeanor »

Offline Silmfeanor

« Reply #4 on: 08/23/2010 10:55 AM »
I found some new information about them through a slashdot link -
http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=10/08/23/0325225
and a SA forum with posts from the people themselves
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3271649
( user frumpykvetchbot )

some qoutes:

The flight configuration being loaded now is a "short stack" with the crash test dummy strapped in to the Tycho Brahe spacecraft in its current form with the completed heat shield, glass dome and aerospike. The spacecraft is attached to its own parachute module beneath it, which is mated loosely (for in-flight retro-rocket assisted separation) to the nearly identical parachute module of the booster stack which consists of a half-length oxidizer and pressurization tank assembly (newly built - thanks gypsy scrap thieves you're really helping you know)  on top of the modified booster which has 4 fins with rollerons. We'll have two downlink video streams and two-way data to both booster and spaceship.

With the launch we're about to perform, we expect a quite low peak altitude for the spacecraft, with only about 15 seconds of active thrust. The goal is to test and validate engine performance, telemetry and radio systems, pyros, chutes, recovery and as many aspects of the whole thing as possible.

If all goes well, the plan and hope is that by next summer we should be able to fly the long stack with a full-length and fully loaded oxidizer tank (with hydrogen peroxide instead of LOX) and some Scud- or V2-like graphite or carbon-carbon steerable baffles in the exhaust stream for active guidance, and a gas-powered RCS system in the Tycho Brahe parachute module.

Tycho Brahe has been found to be too small to probably ever fly with real people. For one thing, the head of our poor crash test dummy can't fit in there with his helmet on. On top of the Heat-E1 which is the first plausibly man-rated booster in our schedule, we'll need to put a ø800mm spacecraft instead of the current ø640mm design. It'll still only support a nearly vertical crew posture but hopefully slightly less so. Everything we learn from flying Tycho Brahe will go into building the real man-rated spacecraft.

and mods please move this if this is the inappropriate forum for it. Suborbital thread perhaps?

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 362
  • Likes Given: 464
« Reply #5 on: 08/23/2010 04:16 PM »
OK, I'll bite, why do they need a submarine to tow the rocket and platform out to sea?

Offline Silmfeanor

« Reply #6 on: 08/23/2010 04:31 PM »
OK, I'll bite, why do they need a submarine to tow the rocket and platform out to sea?

Well, they own it and so they only have to pay for its fuel - Remember, this is a group of 15 or so volunteers, perhaps 3-4 fulltime members relying entirely on donations. I can imagine that chartering a ship just for this purpose is a bit too much for them.

Also, it just looks so cool. A homemade sub pulling a homemade rocket that will be fitted to be manrated. woah.  ;D

Offline brtbrt

• Princeton Junction, NJ
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: 08/23/2010 07:11 PM »

Well, they own it and so they only have to pay for its fuel - Remember, this is a group of 15 or so volunteers, perhaps 3-4 fulltime members relying entirely on donations. I can imagine that chartering a ship just for this purpose is a bit too much for them.

Also, it just looks so cool. A homemade sub pulling a homemade rocket that will be fitted to be manrated. woah.  ;D

And also, if they launch while submerged below the catamaran launch platform, water would provide a lot of protection in case of a CATO.

Offline dantdbv

• Frederikssund Denmark
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: 08/23/2010 09:31 PM »
The tittle says it all. Oh i'm so exited, i have only just discovered this.

The Copenhagen Suborbitals group, a Danish nonprofit group will attempt the launch of the first of 3 testflights of the Heat X booster and Tycho Brahe micro spaceship on 30 August in the hope that it will be possible to launch the 4 into space with a man on board. There is more information available on the following link.

http://www.copenhagensuborbitals.com/index.php

Greetings
DanTDBV
« Last Edit: 08/23/2010 09:41 PM by dantdbv »
DanTDBV (The Droid Building Viking)
Dan Nielsen
Frederikssund
Denmark

Offline kch

• Liked: 492
  • Likes Given: 8815

Offline dantdbv

• Frederikssund Denmark
« Reply #10 on: 08/23/2010 09:49 PM »
Thank you kch

I did a search on Copenhagen Suborbital and it turned up nothing.

Have a nice day
DanTDBV
Dan Nielsen
Frederikssund
Denmark

Offline dninness

• Concord, NH
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #11 on: 08/24/2010 02:11 PM »
Very interesting that they're using an aerospike. The 3D models look like a Trident missile (coupled with their use of the sub, well.. cue the jokes about not worrying about Iran anymore...).

Nifty.  The Trident's use of the aerospike was supposed to increase the range by 550km. Could be very handy even in a smaller scale situation like this.

Offline mr. mark

• Liked: 170
« Reply #12 on: 08/24/2010 03:00 PM »
Ok, no one has every flown in a spacecraft shaped like a human torpedo. I'm not even sure if studies have been done on how the body can withstand the forces in such a configuration. I find the whole project reckless, similar to attaching a person to the outside of a 747 with a pressure suit on. Yes, it could be done but in God's name WHY? This reminds me of that Snake River Canyon jump back in the 70's. We know how that went. At least, Evel came out alive. I'm not sure the passenger of this would though. 
« Last Edit: 08/24/2010 03:01 PM by mr. mark »

Offline Silmfeanor

« Reply #13 on: 08/24/2010 03:43 PM »
Ok, no one has every flown in a spacecraft shaped like a human torpedo. I'm not even sure if studies have been done on how the body can withstand the forces in such a configuration. I find the whole project reckless, similar to attaching a person to the outside of a 747 with a pressure suit on. Yes, it could be done but in God's name WHY? This reminds me of that Snake River Canyon jump back in the 70's. We know how that went. At least, Evel came out alive. I'm not sure the passenger of this would though. 

No reason not to try the new torpedo shape. Dont forget that it'll be dummys for the first 3 flights. They already posted that they will increase diameter from 640mm to 800mm or somewhere in that ballpark - that'll make the seating wider.
The project IS reckless, and that is exactly what it should be. How cool is it to launch a human suborbital for way less then a million bucks? Why not try it? I mean, you could ask them the same about their submarine - why would you be so reckless to build a submarine? I suspect it is because people actually like to be involved and help with these sorts of projects. If I lived there I certainly would help them in my free time!

Also, I donated a small sum. a worthy cause, imho.
« Last Edit: 08/24/2010 03:44 PM by Silmfeanor »

Offline bad_astra

• Liked: 245
  • Likes Given: 296
« Reply #14 on: 08/24/2010 04:14 PM »
This reminds me of that Snake River Canyon jump back in the 70's. We know how that went.

Evil Knievel had the world record on altitude and distance for a private rocket vehicle for a couple of decades until SpaceShipOne.
"Contact Light" -Buzz Aldrin

Offline Alpha_Centauri

• England
  • Liked: 213
  • Likes Given: 126
« Reply #15 on: 08/24/2010 04:31 PM »
Ok, no one has every flown in a spacecraft shaped like a human torpedo. I'm not even sure if studies have been done on how the body can withstand the forces in such a configuration.

Yes I was thinking that when I saw it, there is a very good reason why pretty much every manned capsule I can think of uses the "back to the ground" orientation.

That being said I wish them luck, and frankly launching stuff and not caring so much about the risks is how hobby-groups survive.  No one's going to support you if it just remains a paper rocket, you can always improve it later.

This one slipped under the radar, hadn't heard about it til a few days ago.
« Last Edit: 08/24/2010 04:31 PM by Alpha_Centauri »

Offline mr. mark

« Reply #16 on: 08/24/2010 04:37 PM »
I beleve every person's life has value. What can be gained by this? Certainly nothing of scientific value. I'm not even sure this has commercial value. This reminds me of the guy in the circus being blow out of a cannon but, at least he had a net. When NASA launches people into space, there is a clear objective and all risks have been weighed. Certain safety precautions have to be maintained. The same will eventually go for Virgin Galactic when they take passengers to suborbital space and Spacex when they take clients to orbit. I'm sorry but this reminds me of the crazy experiments that the Germans did at the end of world war two. Kind of like the Bachem Ba349 rocket glider that launched vertically. It crashed in trials killing the test pilot.

Offline Alpha_Centauri

• England
« Reply #17 on: 08/24/2010 04:51 PM »
I beleve every person's life has value.

And every person has the right to do what they want with that life........

But lets not get melodramatic here, the first tests are going to be unmanned anyway, and it sounds like they plan to improve/modify the vehicle upon completion of the tests anyway.

There wasn't a lot of scientific value to the Mercury programme either.  Why should they have bothered, the Soviets already did it right?  ::)  In fact why should any alt-space group bother?
« Last Edit: 08/24/2010 04:51 PM by Alpha_Centauri »

Online rklaehn

• telemetry plumber
  • germany
    • www.heavens-above.com
« Reply #18 on: 08/24/2010 04:52 PM »
I beleve every person's life has value. What can be gained by this? Certainly nothing of scientific value. I'm not even sure this has commercial value. This reminds me of the guy in the circus being blow out of a cannon but, at least he had a net. When NASA launches people into space, there is a clear objective and all risks have been weighed. Certain safety precautions have to be maintained. The same will eventually go for Virgin Galactic when they take passengers to suborbital space and Spacex when they take clients to orbit. I'm sorry but this reminds me of the crazy experiments that the Germans did at the end of world war two. Kind of like the Bachem Ba349 rocket glider that launched vertically. It crashed in trials killing the test pilot.

It's an amateur effort. It does not have to have scientific or commercial value. What scientific value has building a homebuilt submarine? Or climbing mt. everest? As long as nobody is forced to fly on that thing, I don't see a problem.

Fighter pilots routinely have to survive several gees in a sitting position without blacking out and have to make live and death decisions seconds after. So while the seating position is certainly uncomfortable and unconventional, I don't see why it should kill or harm the passenger as long as he wears a g-suit.

Offline Alpha_Centauri

• England
« Reply #19 on: 08/24/2010 05:01 PM »
Fighter pilots routinely have to survive several gees in a sitting position without blacking out and have to make live and death decisions seconds after. So while the seating position is certainly uncomfortable and unconventional, I don't see why it should kill or harm the passenger as long as he wears a g-suit.

It isn't so much the g-force at lift off, though I'd still be surprised if that engine can have the performance to get to 100km but stay below 3-g, but more so re-entry.  It looks as of they plan to have a side re-entry i.e "back-facing-ground" but the parachute is mounted at the top.

Sounds like scrambled eggs to me......   
« Last Edit: 08/24/2010 05:27 PM by Alpha_Centauri »

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 665
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #20 on: 08/24/2010 05:13 PM »
I beleve every person's life has value. What can be gained by this? Certainly nothing of scientific value. I'm not even sure this has commercial value. This reminds me of the guy in the circus being blow out of a cannon but, at least he had a net. ...

Why does it matter to you? Are they forcing you to go on the rocket? Life matters, but so does free choice.

Stop with the overly safe nanny society. There will always be risks associate with spaceflight. Some accept that. Some do not. But for heaven's sake, stop trying to impose your acceptable level of risk on others!

Offline mr. mark

« Reply #21 on: 08/24/2010 05:32 PM »
I'm not saying that there needs to be over regulation but, just like the FAA here there needs to be regulation for the public's safety. I can't tow some guy on a rug behind my car but, I have seen it done and people got hurt. You can tie a guy to a plane but, I would not advice it. This project is along that line of thinking. As, you can see there alot of people with NASA backgrounds who have shown some level of concern especially, for the person in the so called capsule. I can shove a bottle rocket up my you know where and light it but that does not make me an astronaut, just a stupid fool.   
« Last Edit: 08/24/2010 05:37 PM by mr. mark »

Offline Zapp

• Regular
« Reply #22 on: 08/24/2010 05:47 PM »
It's just a unmanned test flight, it's not like the are launching humans in it on its first flight like say STS-1 :)

Offline Silmfeanor

« Reply #23 on: 08/24/2010 05:55 PM »
I'm not saying that there needs to be over regulation but, just like the FAA here there needs to be regulation for the public's safety. I can't tow some guy on a rug behind my car but, I have seen it done and people got hurt. You can tie a guy to a plane but, I would not advice it. This project is along that line of thinking. As, you can see there alot of people with NASA backgrounds who have shown some level of concern especially, for the person in the so called capsule.

There is regulation for the public's safety. They got an assigned launch area ( a military missile range ). For the volunteers themselves, I regard this venture to climbing mount everest. Its not forbidden. People die when doing it. They think its worth it. Here they do unmanned test flights first. Static fire testing. They have nasa engineers on their teams. They do wish to survive. They are not stupid. And the biggest answer to your objections ( next to the unmanned test flights ) is the fact that they are all volunteers aware of the risks. They can do whatever the hell they want.

I can shove a bottle rocket up my you know where and light it but that does not make me an astronaut, just a stupid fool.   

You can however launch a volunteer made-donation funded single stage hybrid rocket engine from a sea platform in your designated firing range and make it to above 100 km in a suborbital flight with a voluntary human passenger after several (static and flight )test firings which removed the flaws in the system and call yourself an astronaut. A privately funded astronaut even. And that that'll be what you are. That does not make you a stupid fool at all.
« Last Edit: 08/24/2010 05:56 PM by Silmfeanor »

Offline mlorrey

• International Spaceflight Museum
  • Grantham, NH
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #24 on: 08/24/2010 09:51 PM »
I'm not saying that there needs to be over regulation but, just like the FAA here there needs to be regulation for the public's safety. I can't tow some guy on a rug behind my car but, I have seen it done and people got hurt. You can tie a guy to a plane but, I would not advice it. This project is along that line of thinking. As, you can see there alot of people with NASA backgrounds who have shown some level of concern especially, for the person in the so called capsule. I can shove a bottle rocket up my you know where and light it but that does not make me an astronaut, just a stupid fool.   

Oh please, drop the pollyannish hand wringing, would you? If you'd actually inspected their site, you'd find the map of the launch zone, which is a restricted military zone in the Baltic Sea, so there is no risk of this rocket landing on anybody's patio. They have the Danish ministry of transportation overseeing things (nice picture of the minister visiting their shop).

Their lives are not yours to dictate upon. If they want to risk them, it is their right to do so. It is clear from their launch record, and their history developing this submarine (actually that is the second submarine they have built, btw, both of which operate very safely), that they are very careful people who are following a responsible test program.

The astronaut doesn't fully stand in the capsule, btw, he is strapped into a five point harness, so he's in a squat/stand that spreads loads between the feet and the buttocks. This allows for twice the g-tolerance than simple standing permits. If the astronaut can squat lift 150% of his body mass at a gym, then he should be able to tolerate peak sustained accelerations of 4 g's without problem.
VP of International Spaceflight Museum - http://ismuseum.org
Founder, Lorrey Aerospace, B&T Holdings, ACE Exchange, and Hypersonic Systems. Currently I am a venture recruiter for Family Office Venture Capital.

Offline XP67_Moonbat

• Likes Given: 1
« Reply #25 on: 08/25/2010 04:11 AM »
Copenhagen's effort sorta reminds me of Bob Truax's private space program from the late 70's, Project Private Enterprise.

Here's a link:
http://epizodsspace.testpilot.ru/bibl/spaceflight/21/trux.html

Offline Space Possum

• United States
« Reply #26 on: 08/25/2010 01:09 PM »
As stated in an above post, they are planning a wider diameter version. That would probably allow a seated "Feet forward" position. They could even add a canopy for the head of the crewman, depending on how they plan to re-enter and decelerate. It's not as crazy as some things I've seen and certainly well thought out. I wish them success and it looks like a fun ride! I'd be up for it!!! ;D

Offline pippin

• Regular
  • Liked: 290
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #27 on: 08/25/2010 11:14 PM »
If anybody wants to understand what "Thrust Oscillation" means, this is a nice example.

Offline simonbp

« Reply #28 on: 08/26/2010 02:39 AM »
If anybody wants to understand what "Thrust Oscillation" means, this is a nice example.

Yeah, no kidding. And the test stand effectively damps out some of that, so the in-flight TO is going to be worse...

Online rklaehn

• telemetry plumber
  • germany
    • www.heavens-above.com
« Reply #29 on: 08/26/2010 06:34 PM »
Here is an interview with one of the founders: link.

They intend to fly it unmanned many times before they put somebody in it. And the first passenger will be mr. madsen himself.

Offline go2mars

• Calgary
« Reply #30 on: 08/26/2010 08:03 PM »
Copenhagen's effort sorta reminds me of Bob Truax's private space program from the late 70's, Project Private Enterprise.

Here's a link:
http://epizodsspace.testpilot.ru/bibl/spaceflight/21/trux.html

Thanks for the link.  That was interesting and I had never seen it before.

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #31 on: 08/29/2010 06:05 PM »
Here's a nice interview with Peter Madsen by New Scientist.
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline dantdbv

• Frederikssund Denmark
« Reply #32 on: 08/29/2010 11:18 PM »
Latest update

Launch window: Aug 30 - Sep 17, 2010
Possible date, Launch platform to Bornholm: Tue Aug 31 (75%)
Possible launch date of HEAT-1X-Tycho Brahe: Thu Sep 02 (40%)

Delays have mostly been because of very windy weather for a couple of days.

A person connected to the project is posting pictures and updates here when he have time for it:

(External link. Caution! The use of language on this site can be offensive to some people. Visit at own risk).

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3271649

Until next time.
DanTDBV
Dan Nielsen
Frederikssund
Denmark

Offline dantdbv

• Frederikssund Denmark
« Reply #33 on: 08/30/2010 09:24 AM »
I realize that somethingawfull is to much to some people, hence the caution, but it has been the place where i have found the newest and most up to date information directly from the project.
Personally i would have hoped that the updates would come here, but that is the choise of the people connected to the project.

I do not hope that i have ruffled the feathers of to many people, because that was and is not my intent. I have so very little possibilities to offer anything back to this wonderfull place. That is why now that something new and exiting happens in little Denmark i have jumped on the chance to give something back.

Respectfully yours
DanTDBV, who is very exited about the Danish spaceprogram.
« Last Edit: 08/30/2010 09:25 AM by dantdbv »
Dan Nielsen
Frederikssund
Denmark

Offline mr. mark

« Reply #34 on: 08/31/2010 12:33 AM »
Launch is getting close. Looks like they are ready!

Offline Silmfeanor

« Reply #35 on: 08/31/2010 11:16 AM »
from their own website the rocket, launch platform and submarine are now on their way to the firing range, with a first launch date of 2 sept ( 40% chance according to themselves )

and I like that picture  :D

Online kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1123
  • Likes Given: 243
« Reply #36 on: 08/31/2010 02:36 PM »
and I like that picture  :D

Tsk, Tsk, it shows ITAR restricted methods ;)
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Space Pete

« Last Edit: 08/31/2010 10:27 PM by Space Pete »

Offline Silmfeanor

« Reply #38 on: 09/02/2010 12:30 PM »
From their frontpage:

The chance for a september 4th launch (saturday) is now 50%.

video of them going by:

http://nyhedsvideo.dk/100901raket/

a new post at
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3271649&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=23#post381562558
with some truly awesome pictures. It looks straight out of a james bond movie. 

(carefull - as said before, the something awfull forums can be offensive to some, although that single post is safe for work )

This is so exciting!
« Last Edit: 09/02/2010 01:02 PM by Silmfeanor »

Offline mr. mark

« Reply #39 on: 09/02/2010 04:25 PM »
More like Austin Powers... Did you see the cap on the sub commander, now that's crazy. I'm expecting Mini Me to jump out of the submarine at any minute and climb aboard the rocket.

Offline dantdbv

• Frederikssund Denmark
« Reply #40 on: 09/03/2010 12:34 PM »
The schedule for Saturday's launch attempt has been released

In Danish
http://ing.dk/artikel/111635-her-er-planen-for-dansk-raketopsendelse-loerdag

English translation by Google
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=da&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=da&tl=en&u=http://ing.dk/artikel/111635-her-er-planen-for-dansk-raketopsendelse-loerdag

They expect to leave port at 8am, to arrive at the launch site at 1pm, then spend two hours setting up and testing. Launch is scheduled at 3pm.

A reporter from ing.dk will be in the controlroom on launchday and ing.dk's staff will be liveblogging about the evemts of the day.

Godspeed Copenhagen Suborbitals

DanTDBV

Dan Nielsen
Frederikssund
Denmark

Offline corrodedNut

• Likes Given: 130
« Reply #41 on: 09/03/2010 02:09 PM »
Does anyone else think that the launch tower looks way too short for this to work?

Assuming this vehicle has only passive guidance (fins), and low acceleration (to accommodate future human payload), will it be going fast enough for the fins to exert enough control by the time it leaves the end of the tower? This seems to be the same setup as most high-power amateur rocket launches I've seen, and most of those have had towers or guide rails at least 4-5 times the length of the rocket (and much higher acceleration).

I keep expecting to see a new picture with a longer tower segment added, but it 'aint happened yet...

Offline Silmfeanor

« Reply #42 on: 09/04/2010 04:27 PM »
First launch opportunity now sunday the 5th ( tomorrow ) with a 70% chance.

Offline dantdbv

• Frederikssund Denmark
« Reply #43 on: 09/04/2010 06:00 PM »
The latest information.

Launch on Sunday if the weather behaves. Plan is for 15.00 but can end up being as early as 09:00

The live blog
http://ing.dk/artikel/111515-livedaekning-foelg-dansk-raketopsendelse

Dantdbv
Dan Nielsen
Frederikssund
Denmark

Offline mrhuggy

• East Yorkshire, UK
  • Liked: 76
« Reply #44 on: 09/05/2010 09:41 AM »
Planning to Launch at 10UTC

Offline mrhuggy

• East Yorkshire, UK
« Reply #45 on: 09/05/2010 10:07 AM »
Live Feed here  - mms://wms.jay.net/borsenlive

They have began tanking the LOX into the rocket

Offline Space Invaders

• Europe
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #46 on: 09/05/2010 10:28 AM »
After seeing the last preparations on Danish TV, this seems too amateur for comfort.

Offline MikeMi.

• Gd, Poland
« Reply #47 on: 09/05/2010 10:58 AM »
After seeing the last preparations on Danish TV, this seems too amateur for comfort.

Hehe :P

Offline MikeMi.

• Gd, Poland
« Reply #48 on: 09/05/2010 10:59 AM »
Some previous screens:

Offline MikeMi.

• Gd, Poland
« Reply #49 on: 09/05/2010 11:04 AM »
Rocket filled with 2/3 of LOX already.

Launch now planned on 13:00 GMT (14 local CEST).

Offline Chris611

• The Netherlands
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #50 on: 09/05/2010 11:32 AM »

CEST is GMT+2 so which is it?

Offline Silmfeanor

« Reply #51 on: 09/05/2010 11:43 AM »

CEST is GMT+2 so which is it?

summertime and all that...
Various sources point at 14:15 local time ( CEST )

Offline sb

« Reply #52 on: 09/05/2010 11:55 AM »
Now saying 14:20 on the live newsfeed, i.e. 13:20 BST

Offline Simonpro

« Reply #53 on: 09/05/2010 12:06 PM »

I have been peripherally involved in the project, and it's incredibly amateur. Then again, so was their submarine and that's working okay.

Still, if this project ever results in a person being launched anywhere I'll eat my hat. ;D

Offline Tnarg

• Liked: 6

Offline rweede

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #55 on: 09/05/2010 12:15 PM »
In the live chat on "Ingeniøren" they are now talking about a launch in 2-5 minutes ...

Edited to include source:
http://ing.dk/artikel/111515-livedaekning-foelg-dansk-raketopsendelse
(live translation available)
« Last Edit: 09/05/2010 12:17 PM by rweede »

Offline rweede

« Reply #56 on: 09/05/2010 12:22 PM »

Offline jabe

• Regular
  • Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #57 on: 09/05/2010 12:26 PM »
delayed to 14:45

Offline mmeijeri

• Martijn Meijering
  • NL
  • Liked: 73
  • Likes Given: 167
« Reply #58 on: 09/05/2010 12:30 PM »
How does the live translation work? I can only follow 5-10% of what's being said from comparing it to Dutch, English or German. That's about enough to figure out someone's about to launch a rocket...
We will be vic-toooooo-ri-ous!!!

Offline Silmfeanor

« Reply #59 on: 09/05/2010 12:32 PM »
The platform is cleared, ships moving away

I think we'll have the launch very very soon

Offline rweede

« Reply #60 on: 09/05/2010 12:35 PM »
About the translation: at the bottom of the chat windows it's the icon right next to the question mark.

Offline rweede

« Reply #61 on: 09/05/2010 12:39 PM »
Launch three minutes away (again ;-) ) ...

Offline mmeijeri

• Martijn Meijering
  • NL
  • Liked: 73
  • Likes Given: 167
« Reply #62 on: 09/05/2010 12:39 PM »
Thanks! Jeg elsker deg :-) That's about the extent of my knowledge of Danish...
We will be vic-toooooo-ri-ous!!!

Offline rweede

« Reply #63 on: 09/05/2010 12:42 PM »
T-1 min ...

Offline mrhuggy

• East Yorkshire, UK
« Reply #64 on: 09/05/2010 12:43 PM »
t-10

Offline rweede

« Reply #65 on: 09/05/2010 12:44 PM »
Problems with the ignition ...

Offline jabe

• Regular
  • Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #66 on: 09/05/2010 12:46 PM »
pyro seemed to fire but no ignition

Offline rweede

« Reply #67 on: 09/05/2010 12:46 PM »
Apparently, the pyros fired, but no LOX had entered the combustion chamber, so abort.

Offline smndk

• Denmark
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #68 on: 09/05/2010 12:47 PM »
Pyros ignited but no LOX..... The LOX valve might be frozen.
« Last Edit: 09/05/2010 01:00 PM by smndk »

Offline mrhuggy

• East Yorkshire, UK
« Reply #69 on: 09/05/2010 12:47 PM »
There was a small cloud of some thing. May of been the valve not opening.

Offline smndk

• Denmark
« Reply #70 on: 09/05/2010 01:02 PM »
Co-constructor Peter Madsen on the way to the launch platform. But with the pyros probably fired, we probably wont see any launch today.

Offline MikeMi.

• Gd, Poland
« Reply #71 on: 09/05/2010 01:03 PM »
Pretty spectacular :P That is T-0 moment :
« Last Edit: 09/05/2010 01:04 PM by MikeMi. »

Offline Silmfeanor

« Reply #72 on: 09/05/2010 01:04 PM »
getting reports that it was a bad battery with telemetry, and that no pyros fired. We might see another attempt today.

Offline smndk

• Denmark
« Reply #73 on: 09/05/2010 01:07 PM »
getting reports that it was a bad battery with telemetry, and that no pyros fired. We might see another attempt today.

That's good news.

Offline otisbow

• Regular
  • Little Rock, Ar.
« Reply #74 on: 09/05/2010 01:12 PM »
I have been watching the live video for about an hour. All the up and down movment of the rocket has made me sea sick!!!!

Offline Silmfeanor

« Reply #75 on: 09/05/2010 01:15 PM »
cancelled! It seems there was a problem with the LOX valve after all, next to the dead battery. They'll depress and tow it back to port now. Winds dont look good for the next 2 days, so I guess the next launch attempt will come in 3-4 days or so.

Offline smndk

• Denmark
« Reply #76 on: 09/05/2010 01:27 PM »
Pyros did also fire. According to ingeniøren.dk: "Everything worked except the LOX valve"....

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #77 on: 09/05/2010 03:46 PM »
Planning to Launch at 10UTC

10:00 UTC was some time ago.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #78 on: 09/06/2010 03:08 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11178034

Danish rocketeers postpone launch

"A group of Danish rocket enthusiasts trying to launch a dummy 30km into the sky had to abort the mission when a valve on their rocket jammed.  The Copenhagen Suborbitals group is attempting to fly its DIY vehicle from a restricted military test area near Bornholm island in the Baltic Sea.  The man-sized dummy is strapped inside a pressurised, tubular capsule.

When Sunday's countdown reached zero, a puff of smoke was seen from the rocket but nothing happened.  A subsequent inspection found a valve controlling the flow of very cold, liquid oxygen to the motor had frozen up. "
« Last Edit: 09/06/2010 03:08 AM by Danderman »

Online notsorandom

• Ohio
  • Liked: 408
  • Likes Given: 90
« Reply #79 on: 09/06/2010 11:48 AM »
Winds dont look good for the next 2 days, so I guess the next launch attempt will come in 3-4 days or so.
Sadly it doesn't look like they will get another shot for quite some time. According to the updates on their Facebook page the next launch attempt will be in June 2011. The area where they are launching from is not usable in the winter. Shame too, I'm wishing these guys all the best. They even have a submarine, how cool is that?
« Last Edit: 09/06/2010 11:57 AM by notsorandom »

Offline Silmfeanor

« Reply #80 on: 09/07/2010 11:29 AM »
some pictures from the launch day:

http://www.cphevent.com/heat1x-tycho/

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #81 on: 09/07/2010 09:01 PM »
The Copenhagen Post: "Rocket dreams fail to ignite".

Rocket builders Peter Madsen and Kristian von Bengtson confirmed last night at a press conference that it was their by now infamous hairdryer that resulted in the rocket not achieving lift-off.

The hairdryer, one which they bought in Føtex for under 100 kroner, was supposed to have kept a valve for the liquid oxygen hot, so that it did not freeze and become stuck. However, due to some necessary last minute alternations, the power to the hairdryer was cut off, Madsen stated last night.

The project has now been postponed till next June.

Tags: