SLS / Orion / Beyond-LEO HSF - Constellation > Heavy Lift Launch Vehicle (HLV/SLS)

DIRECT v3.0 - Thread 5 - Transition from STS to the new Space Launch System

(1/402) > >>

kraisee:
Continuing discussions from Here

Ross.

kirghizstan:
is there that much confidence that some form of Direct has been selected for SLS to warrent the thread title?

aquanaut99:

--- Quote from: kirghizstan on 07/29/2010 12:44 PM ---is there that much confidence that some form of Direct has been selected for SLS to warrent the thread title?

--- End quote ---

As I understand it, the new launcher architecture proposed by the Senate bill will be called SLS. Be it DIRECT, DIRECT-derived, a "cousin of DIRECT" or something different entirely.

My guess is it will be a "cousin of DIRECT"; something that looks like DIRECT but will be different enough to satisfy the "anything but DIRECT" crowd by clearly being NOT-DIRECT, while being sufficiently close to Ares to keep the "Ares is the greatest, safest and bestest!" crowd happy.

Probably this means:

- 5 seg SRBs (to keep ATK and Ares fanboys happy)
- J2x (to keep Ares fanboys happy)
- modified ET in such a way that the modification does not correspond to the DIRECT SH variant. Just out of spite, never mind if it's practical :P
- new SSME-derived "expendable" engine supposedly "cheaper and more efficient" (although it probably won't be either). Again, just out of spite, because DIRECT proposed SSME. Will be justified by "SSME is no longer produced, workers and contractors laid off, and we have this study that says restarting is more expensive than building a new engine". And this new Engine will have a new name (RS-xx) but will a close copy of the SSME (so what, nobody will notice...)

Do I want this? Ofc not. But that's politics, and that's why I guess even a DIRECT-like SLS will not fly before 2020 and will be a heck of a lot more expensive than what DIRECT would be...

kirghizstan:

--- Quote from: aquanaut99 on 07/29/2010 12:55 PM ---
--- Quote from: kirghizstan on 07/29/2010 12:44 PM ---is there that much confidence that some form of Direct has been selected for SLS to warrent the thread title?

--- End quote ---

As I understand it, the new launcher architecture proposed by the Senate bill will be called SLS. Be it DIRECT, DIRECT-derived or something different entirely.

--- End quote ---

but the title seems to imply that direct was officially selected.  I would be happy with that, just saying the title is miss leading

robertross:

--- Quote from: kirghizstan on 07/29/2010 01:00 PM ---
--- Quote from: aquanaut99 on 07/29/2010 12:55 PM ---

--- End quote ---

As I understand it, the new launcher architecture proposed by the Senate bill will be called SLS. Be it DIRECT, DIRECT-derived or something different entirely.

--- End quote ---

but the title seems to imply that direct was officially selected.  I would be happy with that, just saying the title is miss leading

--- End quote ---

Until we have a clear winner (sidemunt or inline), we need to continue to have a thread dedicated to Direct. And since the former thread has exceeded the 250 page mark, we can now continue the progression away from CxP onto something much more sensible. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version