Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 : Formosat-5 : SLC-4E Vandenberg : Aug 24, 2017 : DISCUSSION  (Read 216637 times)

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 5677
  • Likes Given: 1627
Iridium NEXT-2 article says:

The next launch from Vandenberg is currently targeting 22 July with the Republic of China’s FORMOSAT-5 spacecraft

But is that just a previously announced NET for which we're awaiting confirmation?

Online Chris Bergin

Updated it via the L2 schedules. August 24 NET. Former Iridium NEXT-3 slot - which is now in September.
« Last Edit: 06/27/2017 01:15 PM by Chris Bergin »

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 2724
  • Likes Given: 1641
FCC permit application for mission 1344, which I'm guessing is Formosat-5.
This STA is necessary to authorize launch vehicle communications for SpaceX Mission 1344, a commercial launch from SLC-4E, Vandenberg Air Force Base.

First Stage Recovery permit application:
This STA covers the experimental first-stage recovery operation, following a Falcon 9 launch from Vandenberg Air Force Base. This request is limited to the brief command uplink from an autonomous droneship to the launch vehicle after landing.
Ship Coordinates: North 31 39 58   West 121 39 43

Offline baltrum

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Why would they go for ASDS with such a light satellite (Formosat-5 is around half a ton)?
Are they going to include some other sats?

Online ZachS09

Why would they go for ASDS with such a light satellite (Formosat-5 is around half a ton)?
Are they going to include some other sats?

Because I don't think Falcon 9 is certified to do RTLS flights in Vandenberg yet.
« Last Edit: 06/28/2017 06:37 PM by ZachS09 »
"Liftoff of Falcon 9: the world's first reflight of an orbital-class rocket."

Online IanThePineapple

Is it possible that they can get certification by August/September?

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 1852
  • Likes Given: 1
IIRC, it has to do with a possible failing RTLS aborting into the offshore Vandenberg State Marine Reserve .
DM

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 6957
  • Likes Given: 4750
IIRC, it has to do with a possible failing RTLS aborting into the offshore Vandenberg State Marine Reserve .
Does that mean no RTLS ever? The marine reserve presumably isn't going anywhere.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
Several Taiwanese news sites recently posted similar articles about Formosat-5.  They list the launch date as August 25, but I don't know if that is just the UTC time for a late launch on August 24 local time.  I won't make a change on the manifest until I get clarity on that issue.

[Taipei Times] First Taiwanese satellite to be launched Aug. 25
The 450kg Formosat-5 is the first project in which the NSPO was fully responsible for all engineering, including payload, imaging sensors and ground control systems.

The Formosat-5 is to carry the first locally made optical remote sensing instrument equipped with the world’s first space-grade metal oxide semiconductor image sensor, which the organization developed in cooperation with the nation’s electronics and semiconductor industries.

The satellite cost about NT$5.65 billion (US$186 million) to make and is to embark on a five-year observation mission around the globe
SpaceX is contractually required to pay 1.25 percent of the contract amount — about NT$700 million — for every month’s delay, Chang said, adding that the company is expected to pay 10 percent in compensation.

So 10% of US$23M contract would be about $2.3M penalty.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 6957
  • Likes Given: 4750
I was trying to figure out the contract value... if 1.25% is 700M (or .7B) NT$ then isn't the contract about 56B NT$ ???

Google tells me that 1 New Taiwan Dollar equals 0.033 US Dollar ...  I get crazy numbers. but not 23M

Is it possible they have to pay 1.25% of the cost of satellite, not of the launch contract?
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
I was trying to figure out the contract value... if 1.25% is 700M (or .7B) NT$ then isn't the contract about 56B NT$ ???

Google tells me that 1 New Taiwan Dollar equals 0.033 US Dollar ...  I get crazy numbers. but not 23M

Is it possible they have to pay 1.25% of the cost of satellite, not of the launch contract?

The way I interpreted it to get sensible numbers is 700M NT$ was the total contract value. Wasn't this a Falcon 1 contract?

Also for the date issue, it's probably August 25th in Taiwan when it launches.

Offline SmallKing

• Zhejiang, China, the Earth
  • Liked: 180
  • Likes Given: 212
Launch time: 02:50(GMT +8?) Aug 25
http://paper.wenweipo.com/2017/06/30/TW1706300002.htm

EDIT: And Formosat-5 will ship to Vandenberg on July 19
« Last Edit: 06/30/2017 04:54 AM by SmallKing »
Some are bound for happiness, some are bound to glory, some are bound to live with less, who can tell your story?

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

Launch time: 02:50(GMT +8) Aug 25
http://paper.wenweipo.com/2017/06/30/TW1706300002.htm

EDIT: And Formosat-5 will ship to Vandenberg on July 19

That's 18:50 UTC/11:50 am Pacific August 24.  ;)
Chinese spaceflight is a cosmic riddle wrapped in a galactic mystery inside an orbital enigma... - (not) Winston Churchill

Offline titusou

• Taiwan
  • Liked: 67
  • Likes Given: 0
First post, and yes I'm from Taiwan :)

This is Taiwan NSPO official PR annoucement:
https://www.nspo.narl.org.tw/tw2015/info/news.shtml?id=000592&hid=KBW3xMJZ8r

Launch timing as Aug25 02:50 UTC+8 (Taiwan Time).
Therefore, Aug24 18:50 UTC.

Launch profile:

Source: https://www.nspo.narl.org.tw/tw2015/projects/FORMOSAT-5/launch-vehicle.html

Let me know if you need to know more :)
Titus

Online IanThePineapple

My space OCD is going nuts, they show F9 1.0 pics, then pics of LC-40, even though they're launching on a F9 FT/B4 from Vandy

It's like "Space X"  ;)

Offline dmc6960

• Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 2
My space OCD is going nuts, they show F9 1.0 pics, then pics of LC-40, even though they're launching on a F9 FT/B4 from Vandy

It's like "Space X"  ;)

Its worse than that, other than the two "liftoff" photos which are Falcon 9 1.0, the other images are from the Falcon 1 days, and originally represented as such.
-Jim

Online IanThePineapple

It's like "Space X"  ;)

Its worse than that, other than the two "liftoff" photos which are Falcon 9 1.0, the other images are from the Falcon 1 days, and originally represented as such.

Oh, I thought those were just poorly-made pics of a Falcon 9.

Online zubenelgenubi

• Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Commonwealth of Virginia
  • Liked: 384
  • Likes Given: 1122
The National Space Organization PR staff needs to study up on NSF, then apply the knowledge gained to their press releases! :)
Support your local planetarium!

Online ZachS09

If titusou's "launch profile" is correct, then the ASDS would have to be further south. That's because the MECO time is listed as T+2:32.

Previous Falcon 9 v1.2 launches from Vandenberg, that ended up on the drone ship, shut down the booster at T+2:24.
« Last Edit: 07/03/2017 06:09 PM by ZachS09 »
"Liftoff of Falcon 9: the world's first reflight of an orbital-class rocket."

Online zubenelgenubi

• Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Commonwealth of Virginia
  • Liked: 384
  • Likes Given: 1122
If titusou's "launch profile" is correct, then the ASDS would have to be further south. That's because the MECO time is listed as T+2:32.

Previous Falcon 9 v1.2 launches from Vandenberg, that ended up on the drone ship, shut down the booster at T+2:24.

FORMOSAT 5 is listed as only massing 525 kg, less than 1/10th of the 10x Iridium Next satellites + payload dispenser.  I suspect (don't know--NSF experts, correct me if I'm wrong) that could change the launch timeline and trajectory of the first stage, both for boost to MECO and barge recovery.

I suppose we'll learn more on these matters when the Notices to Airmen and Mariners are released.
Support your local planetarium!

Tags: