Author Topic: President Obama to Host Space Conference in Florida on April 15th  (Read 168282 times)

Offline marsavian

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 3
http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/president-obama-host-space-conference-florida-april

The White House

Office of the Press Secretary
For Immediate Release
March 07, 2010

President Obama to Host Space Conference in Florida in April

WASHINGTON – On April 15, President Barack Obama will visit Florida to host a White House Conference on the Administration’s new vision for America’s future in space, the White House today announced.

The President, along with top officials and other space leaders, will discuss the new course the Administration is charting for NASA and the future of U.S. leadership in human space flight.  Specifically, the conference will focus on the goals and strategies in this new vision, the next steps, and the new technologies, new jobs, and new industries it will create.   Conference topics will include the implications of the new strategy for Florida, the nation, and our ultimate activities in space.

Further logistical details will be announced as they become available.

After an independent review panel found that the previous program to return astronauts to the Moon was fundamentally un-executable, the President included an additional $6 billion for NASA in his FY2011 budget over the next five years. This funding will help us achieve our boldest aspirations in space.   The President’s ambitious new strategy pushes the frontiers of innovation to set NASA on a more dynamic, flexible, and sustainable trajectory that can propel us on a new journey of innovation and discovery.

The President and the NASA Administrator both believe that we have to be forward thinking and aggressive in our pursuit of new technologies to take us beyond low-Earth orbit.  The President’s plan does this.

A foundational element of this new strategy is to invest in the development of a targeted set of inter-related technologies and capabilities that can help us travel from the Earth’s cradle to our nearby Solar System neighborhood in a more effective and affordable way, thus laying the foundation to support journeys to the Moon, asteroids, and eventually to Mars.     

After years of underinvestment in new technology and unrealistic budgeting, the President’s plan will unveil an ambitious plan for NASA that sets the agency on a reinvigorated path of space exploration.

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089
This is the month-old press release...though the details still aren't public...

Offline marsavian

• Elite Veteran
includes video

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/nasa/040610rep-kosmas-on-future-of-nasa

“I'm certainly hoping he will come and bring some good news and that there will be some movement on his part. As you know, he introduced in his budget a sort of outline or plan that frankly, we have found unacceptable,” said Rep. Kosmas. “We have made some propositions and proposals that we are hoping that the President will use to fill in the blanks that we thought were missing from his budget proposal. So I'm hoping, um, that it won't be a sales pitch and that it will actually be an opportunity for us to come together and find some common ground that will help us to mitigate job loss on the space coast.”
« Last Edit: 04/07/2010 01:11 pm by marsavian »

Offline Scotty

• Merritt Island, Florida
  • Liked: 1955
  • Likes Given: 0
Anyone else find it strange that here we are at T-7 days, and we still do not know:

1) what time the event is to be held on the 15th
2) where the event is to be held
3) who the participants will be
4) what the message will be

By the way, it is no longer being call a "summit", it is now being called a "policy statement".

But, we do know about the two fund raisers being held down in Miami the evening of April 15th.

The White House has some very interesting priorities!
But, what else can you expect?

Offline marsavian

• Elite Veteran
This fantasy by Obama, Bolden and Garver that they can make up policy without serious agreement with Congress will continue right up to the point they get a radically alternative budget presented to them for signature written wholly by Congress. Obama will then sign it and move on leaving the game changers to do some serious crying.

Offline Namechange User

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 0
But, we do know about the two fund raisers being held down in Miami the evening of April 15th.

And that is exactly the problem.  This White House promised to be different and acted as if it cares for real people and real issues.  Yet, I can tell you how much people are being charged for dinner at Gloria Estefan's house and some face time but can't tell what the status will be of the aerospace industry 7 months from now
Enjoying viewing the forum a little better now by filtering certain users.

Offline SpacexULA

• Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 73
This fantasy by Obama, Bolden and Garver that they can make up policy without serious agreement with Congress will continue right up to the point they get a radically alternative budget presented to them for signature written wholly by Congress. Obama will then sign it and move on leaving the game changers to do some serious crying.

Say what you want, Obama is not a fool, you don't beat Hilary Clinton, and then HIRE her being one.

When he presented his budget, Congress was towing the Constellation line 95%.  He smacks Congress by proposing NASA use the same launcher for their manned payloads as they do their unmanned payloads and Congress drops Ares 1 like a sack of potatoes.

Congress is not going to give Obama his 1st bid.  They proposed 10 (constellation on a flat budget), Obama proposed 1 (NASA loses it's propitiatory launcher), and its looking more like 5 every day (NASA keeps it's propitiatory launcher today, but good luck keeping it when we have a backup).

If Obama had let Congress write the budget Shuttle and ISS would have died a quite death, and Ares 1 would have continued.
No Bucks no Buck Rogers, but at least Flexible path gets you Twiki.

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
By the way, it is no longer being call a "summit", it is now being called a "policy statement".

That means that the final decision has been made and the President is confident that it is broadly acceptable enough to get through Congress.  I'm pretty sure that Obama will just be doing the full public 'roll-out' of whatever scheme Bolden will be announcing to the guys and gals at JSC today.

It's sort of a pity that they didn't think to do something like this back in February.  It might have prevented some problems.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline franklinD

It's sort of a pity that they didn't think to do something like this back in February.  It might have prevented some problems.

What problems?

The best strategy is always to start with your plan without incorporating things the other side wants. Then, to calm opposition, you throw in some bones for the other side. They declare "victory", while you yourself get a lot more than if you had started with a plan that incorporates ideas from both sides in the first place.

I personally very much doubt the next week will show that there has been any fundamental shift in the FY2011 budget. HLV development prioritised - yes, maybe. But that's about it.

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK

What problems?

There is so much I could say, but I'll satisfy myself with just: "You're kiddin' me, right?"

~*~*~*~

Offline tex2

It's interesting that many details are still forthcoming.  But any plan which President Obama puts forth, while canceling the logical, more "do-able" goal of first getting to the moon is a sham.
America, lets finish the business we started July '69-1972. The Return to the moon, with lab mod/landers, will be a WORLD STOPPING, WORLD CHANGING event, revolutionizing space growth. Tell Congress members to restore moon2020 NOW.     www.wechoosethemoon.info

Offline Rabidpanda

• Liked: 123
  • Likes Given: 572
It's interesting that many details are still forthcoming.  But any plan which President Obama puts forth, while canceling the logical, more "do-able" goal of first getting to the moon is a sham.

Why are you so obsessed with going to the moon first?  What's wrong with going to a NEO, or for that matter, Mars?

Despite what you might think, it would not nescessarily be easier to get to the moon just because we've done it before.  Our next BEO mission should be chosen with many things in mind such as:

-Cost
-Scientific return
-Public Support

Personally I believe a NEO mission would be the best option as it could be done with less cost (no lander development) would have fairly high scientific return (we don't know a lot about asteroids) and finally, it would be new and exiting to the public.

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
It's interesting that many details are still forthcoming.

That's because today is not the 15th. Releasing details of the plan before you talk about the plan doesn't make political (or common) sense.

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
  • Virginia is for (space) lovers
  • Liked: 43
I find it intriguing that the date happens to be the last full day of the Colorado Springs National Space Symposium, the most important gathering of government and industry space executives of the year (well, the Washington DC Satellite Expo has more attendees, but it's a one-topic event with lots of mid-level and off-industry attendees).

So... a lot of NASA and Industry executives are leaving mid-day Wednesday to be in Florida Thursday morning, having been summoned for the event.  Was it the only possible date for POTUS or his advisers really don't have a clue?
ARS LONGA, VITA BREVIS...

Offline Jeff Bingham

• Extreme Veteran
  • aka "51-D Mascot"
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 56
[quote author=SpacexULA

"If Obama had let Congress write the budget Shuttle and ISS would have died a quite death, and Ares 1 would have continued."

Would love to know what that statement is based on, because I believe it is absolutely wrong...and I say that based on something of an "inside view" of what "the Congress" would have to say about it.
« Last Edit: 04/09/2010 05:25 am by 51D Mascot »
Offering only my own views and experience as a long-time "Space Cadet."

Offline marsavian

• Elite Veteran
I find it intriguing that the date happens to be the last full day of the Colorado Springs National Space Symposium, the most important gathering of government and industry space executives of the year (well, the Washington DC Satellite Expo has more attendees, but it's a one-topic event with lots of mid-level and off-industry attendees).

So... a lot of NASA and Industry executives are leaving mid-day Wednesday to be in Florida Thursday morning, having been summoned for the event.  Was it the only possible date for POTUS or his advisers really don't have a clue?

Their performance so far would suggest the latter  :(

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK

Their performance so far would suggest the latter  :(

I am more cynical when it comes to politicians.  Forcing through an unpopular, risky on nonsensical policy is a lot easier when no one with actual knowledge and/or authority on the subject is there to tell you that you are wrong.  That way, when it crashes and burns, you can whine that "no one told me" with a straight face.
« Last Edit: 04/09/2010 09:12 am by Ben the Space Brit »

~*~*~*~

Offline gladiator1332

• Fort Myers, FL
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 6
I just hope a clear plan comes out of this event. So far we have seen several of these meetings with Bolden where we get our hopes up, thinking this is the day where we finally get an idea of what is going on at NASA, only to get the same statements of "new technology, game changing, innovative, global warming".

This time I am not getting my hopes up. Chances are Obama will just echo the statements we have heard from Bolden in the past, tell everyone it's going to be ok. And then try to rally the troops up about the game changing things NASA is going to be doing over the next few years.

Offline Namechange User

• Elite Veteran
The president is going to at KSC for 2 hours.  I understand he is the President of the United States and all and very busy.  Yet he'll probably spend more time at Gloria's house.  He'll make a speech at 3:00 and be gone by 3:45.

Yes, very inspiring.  Shows his true feelings about the FY2011 budget and proposal as well as all of us in the crossfire.
Enjoying viewing the forum a little better now by filtering certain users.

Offline CessnaDriver

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 2
Stunningly disturbing, even surprised me and I already had low expectations.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography