Author Topic: LIVE: Atlas V - OTV X-37 - April 22  (Read 251027 times)

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 87
Re: LIVE: Atlas V - OTV X-37 - April 22
« Reply #600 on: 12/14/2010 09:34 AM »
I is just an experimental vehicle. There are two flightworthy vehicles (OTV-1 and OTV-2) and as far as the current launch plans are, there will be only one flight for each vehicle. No further flights are scheduled by now.

Surely each vehicle will be reflown multiple times.  What's the point of it having reusable TPS if it won't?  Having wings defeats the logic of employing a one-shot craft.  A capsule would be cheaper and make at least some sense  Unless this is *strictly* proof-of-concept and there are concrete plans to up-scale to a crewed(?) vehicle the whole program *definitely* falls into the 'what's it for?' category that everybody's been hammering on  about.  I would assume a series of craft will be built.  If they blow up one on launch next year you could hardly call a one-vehicle program a 'fleet' - a bit like the shuttle, really: three barely counts, if four or five ever did.

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 641
  • Likes Given: 752
« Reply #601 on: 12/14/2010 10:04 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if OTV-2 is dissimilar in some ways to OTV-1.  USAF will want to correct any obvious problems or issues identified in this flight before the second to see how the fixes work.

I've said before that I suspect that OTV-1 will be stripped down to the space-frame to harvest every little bit of data from the flight.  Depending on the objectives of the program, OTV-2 might fly again, if only to test total vehicle life-span from multiple flights.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • SpaceShip Earth
  • Liked: 3336
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #602 on: 12/14/2010 10:47 AM »
How to Tow a Top Secret Military Space Plane with a Pickup Truck

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/12/how-to-tow-a-top-secret-military-space-plane.html

Offline JosephB

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #603 on: 12/14/2010 04:20 PM »
Photos of X-37 being towed to the hangar.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n1012/12x37gallery/

Now it is clearly visible, that there is only one engine. And it appears to be slightly right of the center line.

What a great series of pictures.
Does anyone know what the two big blocks are for under the X-37?

Maybe they are high density foam blocks as insurance in case there was landing gear damage? At least untill they could make an initial gear assessment? Just a WAG.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 3661
  • Likes Given: 732
« Reply #604 on: 12/14/2010 05:05 PM »
Photos of X-37 being towed to the hangar.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n1012/12x37gallery/

Now it is clearly visible, that there is only one engine. And it appears to be slightly right of the center line.

What a great series of pictures.
Does anyone know what the two big blocks are for under the X-37?

Maybe they are high density foam blocks as insurance in case there was landing gear damage? At least untill they could make an initial gear assessment? Just a WAG.

The left gear wheel blew, so perhaps these were related to that event.

- Ed Kyle

Offline yinzer

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #605 on: 12/14/2010 08:20 PM »
I don't actually know, but they look like they could hold the vehicle up while mechanics either compressed the landing gear struts or partially retracted the gear to replace the blown tires and/or do other servicing work.  Pretty clever if so.
California 2008 - taking rights from people and giving rights to chickens.

Online yg1968

• Liked: 1372
  • Likes Given: 869
« Reply #606 on: 01/31/2011 09:41 PM »
Here is an update on the second X-37b flight on March 4, 2011:
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n1101/31otv2/

The article discusses the possibility of a third flight using the same spacecraft as the one that was used for OTV-1.
Giese said he anticipates a third X-37 flight some time in the future, but the Air Force has not decided when it would launch. The X-37 craft that just returned to Earth in December would be assigned to fly a third OTV mission, according to Giese.

"The refurbishment of that vehicle will play a major part of that decision," Giese said.
« Last Edit: 01/31/2011 09:46 PM by yg1968 »

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 462
  • Likes Given: 4147
« Reply #607 on: 01/31/2011 10:34 PM »
Here is an update on the second X-37b flight on March 4, 2011:
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n1101/31otv2/

The article discusses the possibility of a third flight using the same spacecraft as the one that was used for OTV-1.
Giese said he anticipates a third X-37 flight some time in the future, but the Air Force has not decided when it would launch. The X-37 craft that just returned to Earth in December would be assigned to fly a third OTV mission, according to Giese.

"The refurbishment of that vehicle will play a major part of that decision," Giese said.

Hmmm...maybe I should look to extend my stay at KSC now until March 6?? ;)
Remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our rights & freedoms, and for those injured, visible or otherwise, in that fight.

Tags: