Author Topic: LRO Images of Soviet Luna's and Lunokhod's  (Read 13162 times)

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: LRO Images of Soviet Luna's and Lunokhod's
« Reply #20 on: 03/22/2010 08:33 PM »

That said, although I'm not a lawyer and don't desire to be one, just because you cannot own the property does not mean you cannot exploit it.  Nobody owns the middle of the ocean, but boats still fish in it.  So if Garriott wants to go up there and drill for oil, I'm all for it.

That's a very good point. Mineral rights are distinct from property ownership. Both the US and USSR established a precedent for mineral rights on the moon when they asserted ownership over the samples returned by Apollo and Luna, and so far there have been no serious challenges to that.
JRF

Offline hop

• Liked: 476
  • Likes Given: 829
« Reply #21 on: 04/09/2010 08:12 PM »
LROC Coordinates of Robotic Spacecraft - Listing of all Soviet and American robotic space hardware that have been identified by the LROC Team.

Includes links to images.

via Emily Lakdawalla.

Offline Art LeBrun

• Photo freak
  • Orange, California
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: 04/09/2010 08:17 PM »
Thanks, hop. Bookmarked.
1958 launch vehicle highlights: Vanguard TV-4 and Atlas 12B

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 373
  • Likes Given: 465
« Reply #23 on: 04/09/2010 10:26 PM »

That said, although I'm not a lawyer and don't desire to be one, just because you cannot own the property does not mean you cannot exploit it.  Nobody owns the middle of the ocean, but boats still fish in it.  So if Garriott wants to go up there and drill for oil, I'm all for it.

That's a very good point. Mineral rights are distinct from property ownership. Both the US and USSR established a precedent for mineral rights on the moon when they asserted ownership over the samples returned by Apollo and Luna, and so far there have been no serious challenges to that.

Most people don't realize that the Moon has been mined and the proceeds have been sold commercially.

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is the salient metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 623
  • Likes Given: 333
« Reply #24 on: 06/08/2011 06:12 PM »
This thread was linked to from the Greason "Strategy" thread:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=25334.msg753982#msg753982

I just reviewed some of the remarks in this thread above, and not all of the opinions expressed above are completely accurate:  Garriott cannot "claim" the land, even if he should rightly own the rover.

There's not much written on property rights in space.  "The Modern International Law of Outer Space", by Carl Q. Christol, is very good.  I have read portions of this, and posted about it here:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=23646.msg678220#msg678220

Of course, there are no treaty limitations on claiming press attention.
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Tags: