Author Topic: LIVE: WorldView-4 - Atlas V 401 - November 11, 2016 (18:30 UTC)  (Read 115797 times)

Online jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 3118
  • Likes Given: 191
United Launch Alliance Successfully Launches WorldView-4 for DigitalGlobe

Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif. (Nov. 11, 2016) – A United Launch Alliance (ULA) Atlas V rocket carrying the WorldView-4 satellite for DigitalGlobe lifted off from Space Launch Complex-3 Nov. 11 at 10:30 a.m. PST. Lockheed Martin Commercial Launch Services procured the Atlas V for this mission.

“Congratulations to the entire mission team. ULA is honored to celebrate the successful launch of the WorldView-4 satellite for DigitalGlobe and Lockheed Martin,” said Gary Wentz, ULA vice president of Human and Commercial Services. “This morning’s Atlas V launch delivered the WorldView-4 satellite into near sun-synchronous orbit during a flawless flight. ULA is proud to have launched the entire constellation of DigitalGobe’s satellites and served in an essential role to get this revolutionary capability to orbit.”

This mission was launched aboard an Atlas V 401 configuration vehicle, which includes a 4-meter-diameter large payload fairing. The Atlas booster for this mission was powered by the RD AMROSS RD-180 engine and the Centaur upper stage was powered by the Aerojet Rocketdyne RL10C engine.

Today’s launch marks ULA’s ninth launch in 2016 and the 112th successful launch since the company was formed in December 2006,” said Wentz. “Thank you to the men and women at the 30th Space Wing who worked tirelessly to combat and contain the fires that delayed a launch attempt in mid-September.”

On Sept. 15, wildfires spread through Vandenberg Air Force Base’s South Base. The wildfires delayed the Sept. 16 launch attempt. ULA, the Western Range and DigitialGlobe worked together to achieve today’s launch success.

Including today’s seven successful CubeSat deployments, ULA has launched 62 CubeSats. Sponsored by the NRO, today’s CubeSat payloads are unclassified technology demonstrations known collectively as Enterprise. The CubeSats rode in the Aft Bulkhead Carrier, developed by the NRO and ULA, on the Centaur upper stage.

ULA has established a very low-cost approach to both design and launch of CubeSats to enable the ability to accommodate our commitment to education and innovation. This fall ULA announced the winner of its first-ever CubeSat competition this fall. Dubbed CubeCorps, the program encourages hands-on science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) experience to motivate, educate and develop the next generation of rocket scientists and space entrepreneurs.

ULA's next launch is the GOES-R satellite for NASA. The launch is scheduled for Nov. 19 from Space Launch Complex-41 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida.

With more than a century of combined heritage, United Launch Alliance is the nation’s most experienced and reliable launch service provider. ULA has successfully delivered more than 100 satellites to orbit that provide critical capabilities for troops in the field, aid meteorologists in tracking severe weather, enable personal device-based GPS navigation and unlock the mysteries of our solar system.

Online jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 3118
  • Likes Given: 191
ULA photos:

Online Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 1193
  • Likes Given: 3243
Congratulations everyone and thanks for the coverage! Love the information on screen and video feed from the rocket. Also the movement of the fairing shadow (or camera cover shadow or whatever) during pitch control was very nice to see.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1117
  • Likes Given: 243
Centaur blow down spotted in Sweden, apparently put on a very nice show.

http://www.spaceweather.com/archive.php?view=1&day=12&month=11&year=2016

ROCKET PHOTOBOMBS AURORA OUTBURST: Last night in Sweden, aurora tour guide Oliver Wright led a group of 8 under the starry skies of Abisko National Park hoping for a glimpse of the aurora borealis. "Suddenly," says Wright, "one of the guests shouted what's that? "I grabbed my binoculars and saw this amazing crescent-shaped thing moving slowly across the sky."  It was not the aurora borealis:

"I had never seen anything like it," says Wright, "so I called Chad Blakley of Lights over Lapland, and he confirmed that his live webcam saw it too." A four-frame animation shows it moving slowly across the sky for more than 20 minutes.

What was it?  Mystery solved: Earlier in the day, an Atlas V rocket blasted off from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California carrying the Worldview 4 satellite to orbit.  Later, the rocket's Centaur upper stage vented its excess fuel, creating the ghostly cloud over Sweden.
For Wright and his guests, the show was far from over. "A huge aurora started to develop around the Moon and became a magnificent corona above our heads," he says. This is a 1/2 second exposure:

"It was moving super fast--the fastest corona I've seen in 3 years of guiding," says Wright. "In the end we had some super happy guests and a super happy guide!"

Link full resolution image: http://spaceweathergallery.com/full_image.php?image_name=Oliver-Wright-D09A0263_1478906177.jpg
« Last Edit: 11/12/2016 11:58 AM by kevin-rf »
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 948
I also stopped in at SpaceX to view the booster and learned the hard way, just how <multiple expletives> LA traffic is.
You didn't like that?  :)

(Me neither, but I need the reps to get through the learning curve on Vandenberg round-trips.  Three-day weekend getaway traffic on the 405, not so fun.)

First Atlas launch from SLC-3 for me, first visible Vandenberg launch (i.e., without fog)...the sound of ignition was the thing that jumped out at me.  When it reached us, I associated it with the sound of the Antares RD-181s watching OA-5 on TV.

Comparing to the couple of Atlas 5 401s I saw launch from SLC-41 at CCAFS, much louder from Ocean and Renwick.  Not sure all of that was the weather.  I don't remember hearing "that sound" of ignition from the Kennedy Press Site.

Online Gliderflyer

I managed to get some pictures and video from Ocean and Renwick. I didn't focus too much on the video, so the rocket quickly goes out of frame. For the first couple pictures, I had the camera stopped way down in the hopes of getting shock diamonds in the notoriously bright kerosene plumes. It didn't work as well as I hoped, but they still look interesting.

I tried it at home

Offline WheelsStop

Here are some aerial views of the launch today.  These are approximately L-8 min, T=0, T+6s, T+8s.

Do you also have the High Res. versions ??  can you post them also (if you do not want to do it in the public, then perhaps in L2)
Thanks

Full res versions are available in L2: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=41618.0

Online catdlr

• Viewed launches since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 2022
  • Likes Given: 1346
WorldView-4 Launch Highlights

LockheedMartinVideos

Published on Nov 14, 2016
The Lockheed Martin-built WorldView-4 satellite was launched for DigitalGlobe on Nov. 11, 2016. The satellite will take high resolution photos of our world to aid city planners, disaster relief workers and governments in making critical decisions. Video provided by Lockheed Martin and United Launch Alliance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMjwuf9KUxA?t=001

Tony De La Rosa

Online catdlr

• Viewed launches since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 2022
  • Likes Given: 1346
Atlas V WorldView-4 Rocket Cam

United Launch Alliance

Published on Nov 16, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8jvGDeNYb0?t=001

Tony De La Rosa