Author Topic: Shuttle Questions Q and A (2)  (Read 193308 times)

Online DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 508
  • Likes Given: 21
Re: Shuttle Questions Q and A (2)
« Reply #740 on: 01/11/2007 11:16 PM »
elmarko - 11/1/2007  2:57 AM
I think it was on STS-112, after MECO there was something called up that I didn't quite hear: "We saw ... no action" - What was this?
This is what was said: CAPCOM: We saw a nominal MECO, OMS-1 not required. We saw L4D fail off, no action.
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 1864
  • Likes Given: 1168
« Reply #741 on: 01/11/2007 11:35 PM »
elmarko - 10/1/2007  8:57 PM

Also, what is the "nominal shutdown plan" ? - I've heard it called by CAPCOM and CDR on different flights, but years ago we never heard it (I think). And what is an off-nominal shutdown case in this context?
Mark (mkirk) already answered this in a L2 thread about STS-112 -- use the search function here and search for posts by mkirk with the words "shutdown plan"

Offline shuttlefan

• Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #742 on: 01/12/2007 12:50 AM »
elmarko - 10/1/2007  7:57 PM

Jim - 10/1/2007  11:12 PM

shuttlefan - 10/1/2007  5:36 PM

How come the Commander no longer makes the " Pc less than 50, Houston " call just before SRB sep.?

Because there is nothing anybody can do about it

There are other calls that seem to have disappeared or appeared over the years.

Like, "Performance nominal" - I don't recall hearing that anymore. Heard it on the STS-93 video.

I think it was on STS-112, after MECO there was something called up that I didn't quite hear: "We saw ... no action" - What was this?

Also, what is the "nominal shutdown plan" ? - I've heard it called by CAPCOM and CDR on different flights, but years ago we never heard it (I think). And what is an off-nominal shutdown case in this context?

On the first four test flights of Columbia, do you recall the call " Columbia, negative seats "? That meant that they were too high to use the ejection seats, which were only installed for the first 4 flights.

Offline elmarko

• I am very curious about THIS little conundrum
  • Preston, UK
    • ElMarko.org
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #743 on: 01/12/2007 08:39 AM »
Yep, indeed :) What was the max altitude for them again?

PSloss: Roger, will do.

Offline mkirk

• International Man Of Mystery
  • Florida/Texas
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #744 on: 01/12/2007 07:52 PM »
elmarko - 12/1/2007  3:22 AM

Yep, indeed :) What was the max altitude for them again?

PSloss: Roger, will do.

"Negative Seats" was at 140,000 feet...If I remember correctly.

In response to your question about the shutdown plan, it is NOT related to the APUs.  This is a call made during the final minute of powered flight that ensures both the Mission Control Center and the Crew agree that no "off nominal" SSME shutdown procedures are required.  Helium Leaks, Hydraulic Failures, Data and Command Path Failures, and Abort Mode are some of the things that can affect the way the main engines need to be shutdown.  The call is made about a minute prior to MECO mainly because nobody likes to make last minute changes to the “game plan” going into MECO.  This is primarily do to crew work load concerns.

The performance call (such as "Performance Low", Nominal, or High) is only made when necessary.  The crew assumes performance is nominal unless they are told otherwise.  Again the philosophy is to keep the chatter to a minimum and not garbage up the comm.  If performance is low than you will here this call made to ensure the crew is aware of the implications of additional system failures.  With low performance and other system failures/leaks there is a chance of a low level cutoff...which actually occured right at MECO on STS-93.

Mark Kirkman
Mark Kirkman

Offline Skinny

• NSF Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Liked: 2
RE: Shuttle Questions Q and A (2)
« Reply #745 on: 01/14/2007 12:51 AM »

Tags: