Author Topic: STS - CEV Docking  (Read 1404 times)

Offline astrobrian

• NSF Photographer
  • Austin Texas
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 43
STS - CEV Docking
« on: 03/31/2006 03:43 AM »
Not sure if this could be a concept or not, but I had the thought that the shuttle could stay in service after 2010 if NASA wanted and could make it to be dockable with a CEV. afterall it will be the same type docking ring as used currently right? So say in the future the shuttle is on a hubble mission or similiar and has problems. They could have an unmanned CEV go up and dock.  I had thoughts like this before regarding Soyuz as a rescue vehicle.  All that would seem to me would be the actually mating adapter would need to be pushed back a few feet so the SM would clear the crew cabin.   This idea also lends itself to some extended duration flights to resupply a shuttle by using a CEV as a manned Progress style orbiter. I could also just be rambling on n on about something that can't be done. Let me know
Brian

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 11234
  • Likes Given: 333
RE: STS - CEV Docking
« Reply #1 on: 03/31/2006 06:34 AM »
astrobrian - 30/3/2006  9:43 PMNot sure if this could be a concept or not, but I had the thought that the shuttle could stay in service after 2010 if NASA wanted and could make it to be dockable with a CEV. afterall it will be the same type docking ring as used currently right? So say in the future the shuttle is on a hubble mission or similiar and has problems. They could have an unmanned CEV go up and dock.  I had thoughts like this before regarding Soyuz as a rescue vehicle.  All that would seem to me would be the actually mating adapter would need to be pushed back a few feet so the SM would clear the crew cabin.   This idea also lends itself to some extended duration flights to resupply a shuttle by using a CEV as a manned Progress style orbiter. I could also just be rambling on n on about something that can't be done. Let me knowBrian

There is a difference between the active and passive APAS systems.  ISS has the passive and the shuttle and CEV are active. 

Anyways the limiting resource of the shuttle is H2, which would be very hazardous to resupply and costly to modify for

Offline simonbp

« Reply #2 on: 04/01/2006 12:04 AM »
If you could deploy a nice sized photovoltaic array, you could significantly cut down on the H2 usage rate...

Simon ;)

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 11234
  • Likes Given: 333
« Reply #3 on: 04/03/2006 04:14 PM »
simonbp - 31/3/2006  6:04 PMIf you could deploy a nice sized photovoltaic array, you could significantly cut down on the H2 usage rate...Simon ;)

still need to keep some for entry and landing plus contingencies

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 600
  • Likes Given: 237
« Reply #4 on: 04/03/2006 05:14 PM »
Can't an active APAS be used in a passive mode? I've never been able to find much on the fine detail of any of the docking systems. I though the whole point of the APAS was that it was androgynous.

Tags: