Author Topic: Bolden to meet Obama on Wednesday  (Read 76149 times)

Offline TheFallen

• Liked: 72
  • Likes Given: 158
Re: Bolden to meet Obama on Wednesday
« Reply #40 on: 12/16/2009 08:27 PM »
I think it is going to be an interesting month. :)

Only if it concludes with our moon rocket program being preserved. ;D

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 272
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #41 on: 12/16/2009 08:58 PM »
Initial, post-meeting report from Florida Today:
http://www.floridatoday.com/content/blogs/space/2009/12/obama-confirms-commitment-to-space.shtml

"The President confirmed his commitment to human space exploration, and the goal of ensuring that the nation is on a sustainable path to achieving our aspirations in space," said White House spokesman Nicholas Shapiro...

It is noted at the bottom of the entry that "Gannett's Bill Theobald was the White House print pool reporter today and will be filing a story for Florida Today, USA Today and other Gannett newspapers around the country."

Offline infocat13

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #42 on: 12/16/2009 09:01 PM »
What is the point of making this silly dialouge again and again? 

well...................
in political science classes the manner and style of a current and past presidents is discussed.SDSDS is taking an extreme possiblity no doubt these folks ( Bolden, Bolden + staff, and White house staff) conduct a lot of there exchange of views in writing and through intermediary's.
I would like to believe that this president would ask his NASA chief, what is your take on the commission report? I ( or my staff) have seen your written comments on this topic.we concur.........or concur in part.............
I am going to approve the following budget as has already been communicated to you........
I understand you believe can follow this budget with a................

a flexible path mission
side mount
commercial COTS C to ISS
Orion on the side mount
or Orion on the existing EELV stable

Bolden............Mr President with this budget there is not money or time to pay for COTS D
side mount is cheap and my center chiefs endorse it.we are not sure about humans on side mount.center chiefs would rather have Orion on Aries lite but there would be a delay.............
and money
president..............Lori tells me that we should keep the centers open with side mount but EELV+ Orion can be done with EELV in 4 years and you tell me center chiefs would not fly astronauts on COTS D for at least a decade so...................
you figure the engineering on that but...............
I cant sell in congress this budget and an all EELV plan and there is this issue about future gaps like this one with Altair...........my budget for now cant handle it and the rest......................
in fact my budget has problems with EELV/Orion and COTS C...........
perhaps general I can make a brief mention in januarys state of the union addressee the flexible path and how it makes great synergy with planetary probes community and that the moon lander can be pay as we go after flexible path.I will make mention in that addressee that we have saved the centers with a big rocket and we will save money with EELV for humans and cargo with the new guys.
general having said that I am not sure how far I will go fighting for this plan with the hill, the budget yes ,the plan will have to survive committee  and the hill with your leadership, lots of luck to you!

I am a member of the side mount fanboy universe however I can get excited over the EELV exploration architecture fanboy universe.Anything else is budgetary hog wash
flexible path/HERRO

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #43 on: 12/16/2009 09:04 PM »
I think it is going to be an interesting month. :)

Only if it concludes with our moon rocket program being preserved. ;D

I'd like to see a "moon rocket program" come out of this, too. As I said in my public comments to the A-C back in June (!), 'I'm a child of Apollo - I want the moon back!'.

So we wait patiently for the plan and its details - with hope, but tempered with realism.

Space launches attended:
Antares/Cygnus ORB-D1 Wallops Island, VA Sept 2013 | STS-123 KSC, FL March 2008 | SpaceShipOne Mojave, CA June 2004

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 463
  • Likes Given: 4377
« Reply #44 on: 12/16/2009 09:44 PM »
Initial, post-meeting report from Florida Today:
http://www.floridatoday.com/content/blogs/space/2009/12/obama-confirms-commitment-to-space.shtml

"The President confirmed his commitment to human space exploration, and the goal of ensuring that the nation is on a sustainable path to achieving our aspirations in space," said White House spokesman Nicholas Shapiro...

It is noted at the bottom of the entry that "Gannett's Bill Theobald was the White House print pool reporter today and will be filing a story for Florida Today, USA Today and other Gannett newspapers around the country."

It also says..."Check the print editions of Florida Today on Thursday for more details."

Geez, we have to wait even longer? Oh well, it's not like we haven't waited long enough already, including the late CCDev announcement. Then we'll have to wait until the new year for the way forward.
Remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our rights & freedoms, and for those injured, visible or otherwise, in that fight.

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 1405
  • Likes Given: 877
« Reply #45 on: 12/16/2009 11:09 PM »
A little bit of information here:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_space_thewritestuff/2009/12/pelosi-not-a-big-fan-of-manned-space-bolden-and-obama-meet.html

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs briefly addressed the meeting at today’s press briefing. Here’s the transcript:

Q: Robert, the President met with the NASA Administrator today to talk about the Constellation program.  Are the two in agreement now about what to do with that program going forward?

MR. GIBBS: I have not gotten a readout from the meeting, but we’ll try to see what has come of their discussions. I don’t know that we’ll have a ton on this today.  Obviously the budget here is being put together for next year.  I know the most previous budget that was passed represented an increase in spending for NASA, and the President believes that NASA plays a vital role going forward.

« Last Edit: 12/16/2009 11:16 PM by yg1968 »

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
« Reply #46 on: 12/16/2009 11:27 PM »
A little bit of information here:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_space_thewritestuff/2009/12/pelosi-not-a-big-fan-of-manned-space-bolden-and-obama-meet.html

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs briefly addressed the meeting at today’s press briefing. Here’s the transcript:

Q: Robert, the President met with the NASA Administrator today to talk about the Constellation program.  Are the two in agreement now about what to do with that program going forward?

MR. GIBBS: I have not gotten a readout from the meeting, but we’ll try to see what has come of their discussions. I don’t know that we’ll have a ton on this today.  Obviously the budget here is being put together for next year.  I know the most previous budget that was passed represented an increase in spending for NASA, and the President believes that NASA plays a vital role going forward.

Or this...from Nancy Pelosi:

“If you are asking me personally, I have not been a big fan of manned expeditions to outer space in terms of safety and cost. But people could make the case – technology is always changing … and that could change depending on the technology,” she said today in a press conference with regional reporters.

She's open minded, which is obviously good.

And Sen. Nelson pressing for $1B in leftover stimulus money...that would go a long way for a 1-year shuttle extension  :)
Remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our rights & freedoms, and for those injured, visible or otherwise, in that fight.

Offline simonbp

« Reply #47 on: 12/17/2009 01:59 AM »
She's open minded, which is obviously good.

That's not being open minded, that's politician-speak for "There's not a NASA manned space center in my state/district, so I want that funding for other things, but I'll include it, if it buys me votes for my pet projects."

Offline TheMightyM

• Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #48 on: 12/17/2009 02:08 AM »
"Sustainable" is politician speak for "affordable." If the Obama Administration thought a significant increase in NASA funding were a necessity or even a priority, they would have made that quite clear by now.

Offline Nascent Ascent

• Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #49 on: 12/17/2009 02:12 AM »
Pelosi open minded?   ??? ::) ;D :D ;) :)

Thanks for the laugh.
“Why should we send people into space when we have kids in the U.S. that can’t read”. - Barack Obama

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is the salient metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 620
  • Likes Given: 329
« Reply #50 on: 12/17/2009 01:12 PM »
My take on Pelosi's comments is first, she's merely politicizing.  But when she sez: "...that could change depending on the technology...", she's paying homage at the altar of technology, one of the newer religions, in my mind.  To explain further, I would have to go on an OT rant.  To summarize my position however:  People are the problem, and technology is not a solution.  People must chose to be a part of the solution.  As if.

On one level, I like the idea of stimulus money going to NASA.  The downside is that it is deficit spending.
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #51 on: 12/17/2009 01:34 PM »
Wish I were in Titusville to buy a print copy of Florida Today this morning.  Does anyone 'round here have the gist of what it said?
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 1405
  • Likes Given: 877
« Reply #52 on: 12/17/2009 05:06 PM »

Offline jongoff

• Recovering Rocket Plumber/Space Entrepreneur
  • Lafayette/Broomfield, CO
  • Liked: 2309
  • Likes Given: 782
« Reply #53 on: 12/18/2009 12:57 AM »
Here's some rumors that I'd like to get some independent confirmation on before I'd take them too seriously:

http://blogs.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2009/12/exclusiveobama.html

Offline Bill White

• Chicago area
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #54 on: 12/18/2009 01:01 AM »
Here's some rumors that I'd like to get some independent confirmation on before I'd take them too seriously:

http://blogs.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2009/12/exclusiveobama.html

Sounds like Jupiter combined with Tumlinson's Near Frontier/Far Frontier division of labor:

According to knowledgeable sources, the White House is convinced that scarce NASA funds would be better spent on a simpler heavy-lift vehicle that could be ready to fly as early as 2018. Meanwhile, European countries, Japan, and Canada would be asked to work on a lunar lander and modules for a moon base, saving the U.S. several billion dollars. And commercial companies would take over the job of getting supplies to the international space station.

What else could a "simpler" heavy lift vehicle be, except Jupiter?

Betcha they keep the Ares name, however.
« Last Edit: 12/18/2009 02:00 AM by Bill White »
EML architectures should be seen as ratchet opportunities

Offline madscientist197

• Regular
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #55 on: 12/18/2009 01:12 AM »
It would be quite a coup for Obama if he can get real international committment to a joint moon mission.
John

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
« Reply #56 on: 12/18/2009 01:18 AM »
It would be quite a coup for Obama if he can get real international committment to a joint moon mission.

He has my vote!  :)

I'll gladly work on a lander or base.

Offline rkoenn

• Extreme Veteran
  • They Who Sacrifice Liberty For Safety Deserve Neit
  • Kennedy Space Center, FL
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #57 on: 12/18/2009 01:20 AM »
President Barack Obama will ask Congress next year to fund a new heavy-lift launcher to take humans to the Moon, asteroids, and the moons of Mars, ScienceInsider has learned. The president chose the new direction for the U.S. human space flight program Wednesday at a White House meeting with NASA Administrator Charles Bolden, according to officials familiar with the discussion. NASA would receive an additional $1 billion in 2011 both to get the new launcher on track and to bolster the agency's fleet of robotic Earth-monitoring spacecraft.
« Last Edit: 12/18/2009 01:20 AM by rkoenn »

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
« Reply #58 on: 12/18/2009 01:21 AM »
Drapper23 also posted this on the Direct thread about the Orlando Sentinel

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_space_thewritestuff/2009/12/obama-meeting-with-nasa-chief-yeilds-few-details-so-far.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+news%2Fspace%2Fspace_blog+(Space+Blog+The+Write+Stuff

"Bolden also said NASA had prepared four white papers for Obama after the Augustine report,  comprising a general report on NASA and its mission, one on technology development, one on the challenges of sending humans to  Mars, and a final paper on the risks of developing commercial rockets and a new heavy launcher to explore beyond low Earth orbit."

There's that Mars option again...

Offline vt_hokie

• Hazlet, NJ
  • Liked: 92
  • Likes Given: 232
« Reply #59 on: 12/18/2009 01:30 AM »
That would be exciting news, if they're serious about beyond-LEO human spaceflight.  But why can't we get a shuttle-derived heavy lift launcher sooner than 2018?  The Saturn V didn't take so long, and that was a clean sheet design!

Tags: