Author Topic: Nasa vs NASA  (Read 8121 times)

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 2799
  • Likes Given: 7354
Re: Nasa vs NASA
« Reply #20 on: 08/29/2018 08:46 PM »
Blame it on The Queen as in "The Queen's English"...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Offline WBY1984

• Liked: 141
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #21 on: 08/29/2018 09:00 PM »
Speaking as a Brit, I don't see any reason why anyone should pay attention to anything we have to say, or indeed, how we say it. And I only half mean that jokingly.  :P

Offline MikeAtkinson

• Bracknell, England
  • Liked: 549
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #22 on: 08/29/2018 09:12 PM »
CID is pronounced see-eye-dee not sid.

QWERTY is pronounced as a word, but is a strange abbreviation with each letter abbreviating itself and usually capitalized, it is definitely not Qwerty.

Then there are the companies (like BP) where the letters are not an abbreviation (any longer).

None of these three cases are covered by the BBC guidelines as stated above.

There are also a few abbreviations that I pronounce fully e.g. NG as New Glenn.

I will use NASA.

Offline Fequalsma

• Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #23 on: 08/29/2018 09:31 PM »

A weird one is "ID".  ID is an abbreviation.  It's not an acronym, because it is only one word (Identification).  It's not an initialism because it forms a word.  So it's strange, but its an abbreviation like "ETC."

Etc. is a contraction, et cetera
F=ma
« Last Edit: 08/30/2018 03:27 AM by Lar »

Offline JH

• Liked: 145
  • Likes Given: 60
Re: RE: Nasa vs NASA
« Reply #24 on: 08/29/2018 09:45 PM »
When you reply, spell BBC as "Bbc" (that was nearly painful to type), and see how long it takes for them to correct themselves.

That post is 12 years old...

Offline Arb

• London
  • Liked: 202
  • Likes Given: 201
« Reply #25 on: 08/29/2018 10:08 PM »
And as this thread was started by Jim, might be worth noting that it's SpaceX not Spacex  ;D

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 7513
  • Likes Given: 5288
« Reply #26 on: 08/30/2018 04:09 AM »
That's some amazing necro-threading, made me giggle.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 1253
  • Likes Given: 3415
« Reply #27 on: 08/30/2018 09:43 AM »

I thought exactly the same. Any improvement on the issue in the last 12 years though? Not idea how the Bbc handles that topic at moment.

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 508
  • Likes Given: 226
« Reply #28 on: 08/30/2018 09:53 AM »
Nasa is normal for the UK press I read. I agree with the BBCs and others usage of acronyms and initialisms as a guide to pronunciation  as described above.

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 5026
  • Likes Given: 1596
« Reply #29 on: 08/30/2018 12:25 PM »

I thought exactly the same. Any improvement on the issue in the last 12 years though? Not idea how the Bbc handles that topic at moment.

I see what you did there.

Online ThereIWas3

• Liked: 351
  • Likes Given: 268
« Reply #30 on: 08/30/2018 12:44 PM »
The British are famous, historically, for mispronouncing words they discover around the world.  I remember back in the 1980s the BBC World announcers would pronounce Nicaragua as nih-car-AG-you-ah (with the AG as in agony).   In the 19th centeury as the Brits invented the 'world tour' vacation, they would get the names of cities wrong, just due to not listening closely, then put those names on their maps.  I noticed this particularly in Switzerland.   So we get "Geneva" instead of "Geneve", "Lucerne" instead of "Luzern" (Lucerne is the French pronounciation - they don't speak French in Luzern), "Lake Geneva" instead of "Lac Leman", "Lake Lucerne" instead of "Lake of the four forest cantons" (That is its real name in German, Vierwaldstaetterzee).

"Bombay" instead of "Mumbai", though the Portuguese are partly to blame for that one.
"If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea" - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #31 on: 08/30/2018 01:08 PM »
This is getting off topic but all languages have different names for some cities, especially old important cities.

List of names of European cities in different languages

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 454
  • Likes Given: 335
« Reply #32 on: 08/31/2018 01:11 AM »
The British are famous, historically, for mispronouncing words they discover around the world.  I remember back in the 1980s the BBC World announcers would pronounce Nicaragua as nih-car-AG-you-ah (with the AG as in agony).   In the 19th centeury as the Brits invented the 'world tour' vacation, they would get the names of cities wrong, just due to not listening closely, then put those names on their maps.  I noticed this particularly in Switzerland.   So we get "Geneva" instead of "Geneve", "Lucerne" instead of "Luzern" (Lucerne is the French pronounciation - they don't speak French in Luzern), "Lake Geneva" instead of "Lac Leman", "Lake Lucerne" instead of "Lake of the four forest cantons" (That is its real name in German, Vierwaldstaetterzee).

"Bombay" instead of "Mumbai", though the Portuguese are partly to blame for that one.

There's no need to pick on the British.. Americans regularly stuff up both pronunciation and spelling of places and names outside of their own country, but I put that down to a feature of language in general.  Local accents will always mean some words, sounds and phrases simply don't translate all that well.

Some folks have to live with it: it's common knowledge that many post-war immigrants to this country from places like eastern Europe, Italy and Greece arriving with little but the clothes they wore and certainly no documentation, received new names scribbled down in a hurry by an over-worked English-speaking official, that they are still known by today.

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Online ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
  • Liked: 2356
  • Likes Given: 3040
« Reply #33 on: 08/31/2018 07:34 AM »
This is getting off topic but all languages have different names for some cities, especially old important cities.

List of names of European cities in different languages

Exactly.  Calling a different name for the same thing in a different language "wrong" is silly, and somewhat arrogant.

Words mutate all the time.  It's part of the natural evolution of language.  The fact that the word happens to be the name for a place doesn't make it any worse that the name evolves.

In some cases, the name in English is closer to the original form, so if anything its the locals who are getting the name "wrong".  For example, the ancient name of Florence was "Florentia", which is closer in both pronunciation and spelling to the English "Florence" than the modern Italian "Firenze".

Would Americans say the French are wrong to call the United States "Les Etats Unis"?  Of course not.  Nor would we say the Chinese are wrong to call it a name that sounds not even remotely like "United States" and isn't even etymologically related.

Different words can be used for the same thing in different languages.  Just because that thing happens to be a place doesn't invalidate the word used for it by everyone who doesn't happen to live there.

Offline Stan Black

• Liked: 136
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #34 on: 09/01/2018 08:28 PM »
Who says LASER?

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 4773
  • Likes Given: 891
« Reply #35 on: 09/01/2018 08:46 PM »

"Initialisms" - Hilarity. What the hell the difference between FBI and NASA. None, they are both acronyms. Oh, but others make the
same mistake, so it's ok?

I use "NASA", but the rule I learned is that usually, if you pronounce it as a word, you capitalize it as a word.

That's why "BBC", but "Nasa", to their method.  "Esa", but "ASI".  There's some consistency there, you gotta give them that.

HOWEVER, the rule is overruled when the entity in question has an explicit preference - as in "SpaceX", not "Spacex".

While I don't remember NASA saying so explicitly, I'm pretty sure NASA prefers "NASA" over "Nasa", and that should be the end of that.... "NASA".
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline jbenton

• Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 214
« Reply #36 on: 09/01/2018 09:17 PM »
Who says LASER?

I do! Sometimes... maybe ::)

I also like to write RADAR over Radar and LiDAR over Lidar, but I usually forget for Radar RADAR  ;D

Offline jbenton

« Reply #37 on: 09/01/2018 09:19 PM »

HOWEVER, the rule is overruled when the entity in question has an explicit preference - as in "SpaceX", not "Spacex".

While I don't remember NASA saying so explicitly, I'm pretty sure NASA prefers "NASA" over "Nasa", and that should be the end of that.... "NASA".

I'd say they've been pretty explicit:

« Last Edit: 09/01/2018 09:20 PM by jbenton »

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #38 on: 09/01/2018 09:39 PM »
I'd say they've been pretty explicit...

Maybe, though I think they just like SHOUTING about how AWESOME they are. :)

Offline jbenton

« Reply #39 on: 09/01/2018 09:53 PM »
I'd say they've been pretty explicit...

Maybe, though I think they just like SHOUTING about how AWESOME they are. :)

You're probably right, come to think of it, they put almost everything in all caps:

Tags: