Author Topic: LIVE: Atlas V - Intelsat 14 - November 23, 2009  (Read 75786 times)

Offline satlaunch

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
LIVE: Atlas V - Intelsat 14 - November 23, 2009
« on: 09/30/2009 05:41 pm »
SPACE SYSTEMS/LORAL DELIVERS THE INTELSAT 14 SATELLITE TO FLORIDA LAUNCH BASE

Hosted Payload Expands on SS/L Experience With Multiple Missions on Commercial Spacecraft

Palo Alto, Calif. – September 30, 2009 — Space Systems/Loral (SS/L), a subsidiary of Loral Space & Communications (NASDAQ: LORL) and the leader in high-power commercial satellites, today announced that it delivered a satellite built for Intelsat, the world’s leading provider of fixed satellite services, to the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida, where it is scheduled to launch later this year aboard an Atlas V rocket. The Intelsat 14 satellite (IS-14), which includes the first Internet Router In Space (IRIS), expands on SS/L’s experience integrating hosted payloads on commercial spacecraft.

“This is the 44th satellite that we have built for Intelsat, and it is unique because it hosts the Internet Router In Space,” said John Celli, president at Space Systems/Loral. “Space Systems/Loral has significant experience putting government payloads on commercial satellites. Our platform, the 1300, is particularly well-suited to carry multiple payloads because of the extensive mounting space on its Earth-facing surface, high- power capability, and standard interfaces.”

IS-14 is a fixed satellite services (FSS) spacecraft, which will replace the Intelsat 1R satellite at 315 degrees East longitude, where it will ensure continued service for enterprises, governments, service and media providers to deliver information and entertainment around the world.  The IRIS payload, which was provided by Cisco Systems, will enable converged, space-ground network services including more efficient bandwidth usage, anytime-anywhere on-demand broadband services, last-mile connectivity solutions, efficient one-hop communications, and next generation voice, video and data applications. 

“We know we can depend on the quality and reliability of the SS/L 1300 platform,” said Ken Lee, Intelsat’s Senior Vice President, Space Systems.  “About half of the satellites in our current active fleet are satellites that were built by Space Systems/Loral, and we have three more currently under construction at the company’s Palo Alto manufacturing facility. The delivery of IS-14, with its IRIS payload, is one more demonstration of the great working relationship that we have with SS/L.”

The IS-14’s hybrid C- and Ku-band payload will provide data, voice, and video services for the Americas, Europe, and Africa. It is based on the Space Systems/Loral 1300 space-proven platform, which provides the flexibility to support a broad range of applications. With a nine square meter Earth-facing deck, extensive heat dissipation capacity, and a modular design, the 1300 spacecraft bus is ideal for hosted payloads and multi-mission satellites. 

http://www.ssloral.com/html/pressreleases/pr20090930.html
« Last Edit: 11/20/2009 11:26 am by Chris Bergin »

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7716
Re: Intelsat 14 launch with Atlas V - November 14, 2009
« Reply #1 on: 09/30/2009 07:48 pm »
FYI: Atlas V 431, in case anybody is wondering.

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 943
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #2 on: 10/02/2009 03:49 pm »
Has anyone info on the launch mass of IS-14?

Offline tonthomas

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: 10/02/2009 05:00 pm »
Launch mass (kg): 5663
Dry mass (kg): 2517

Online Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline steveb23

Re: Atlas V - Intelsat 14 - November 14, 2009
« Reply #5 on: 10/25/2009 01:50 pm »
Hi,

If this is the wrong forum please feel to delete / move.

Since the postponement of STS-129 until Nov 16th, I am hoping I can watch this sneaky Atlas v launch instead.

I was wondering whether anybody in the know could help me....Where can I watch it from? - I hear Port Canaveral is an option and is (just) slightly closer than Titusville. Is there anywhere specific in Port Canaveral to watch from and is car parking easy there?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Offline WHAP

• Liked: 105
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #6 on: 10/25/2009 04:11 pm »
What's this with the "sneaky" description?  The launch date has been shown on GW's launch schedule as 11/14 since mid-September.  At that time, Atlantis was showing as 11/12.  Neither of these were official Range dates at the time.  Launch providers typically request Range dates when they are reasonably confident of being ready to go on that particular date.  Atlas was ready and made their request before Shuttle.  Nothing sneaky about it.

Jetty Park is one of the closest places you can get, but I don't think you can see the vehicle until it clears the trees.  You can also try the north side of the causeway (shown as 401 or Phillips Parkway on Google maps) before entering CCAFS property.  This location can give you a direct view of the pad (it's closer than Jetty Park, but you're still 10 miles away).  I don't know how much clear space there is (i.e., vegetation) or if the local police have been cracking down on parking on the side of the road.  They never used to, and this launch is pretty late at night.
« Last Edit: 10/25/2009 04:13 pm by WHAP »
ULA employee.  My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8667
  • Likes Given: 1369
« Reply #7 on: 10/25/2009 06:43 pm »
Are there any publicly accessible areas on the east side of Merritt Island, along Audobon Road? 

The KSC Visitors Center would be the closest spot, if only it were open for launches like this. 

- Ed Kyle

Offline mike robel

• Extreme Veteran
  • Merritt Island, FL
  • Liked: 369
  • Likes Given: 262
« Reply #8 on: 10/25/2009 07:11 pm »
I recommend the circled areas on the map on SR 528 Causeway on Merritt Island.

Alternatively, you can go to US 1 in Titusville around the Sears Town Mall, but it is actually a littel farther away, although you do get a good view of the pad.

Jetty is okay, but is best for the remaining Delta II launches as you can see the pad from the Jetty or the beach areas about 1 mile to the south.

Are there any publicly accessible areas on the east side of Merritt Island, along Audobon Road? 

The KSC Visitors Center would be the closest spot, if only it were open for launches like this. 

- Ed Kyle

Offline WHAP

• Liked: 105
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #9 on: 10/26/2009 12:40 am »

- Ed Kyle

The KSC visitor's center is further away closer than the 528 causeway, plus but there's a lot of vegetation between you and the pad.  The causeway has a much less obstructed view.
Another much closer location would be on the north side, on the Max Brewer Parkway/State Highway 402 (see Google maps).  I know they close that road before you get to the beach, but I don't think the closure is west of the intersection with Kennedy Pkwy.  Jim might know better than I.
« Last Edit: 10/26/2009 01:15 pm by WHAP »
ULA employee.  My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

Offline Rocket Guy

• Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: 10/26/2009 01:00 am »
The KSC visitors center is closer (7.2 miles versus 11.7) but it will be closed and you cannot see the pad from there. Port Canaveral is the best and closest for night launches of Atlas 5. Any potential private land on the east side of Merrit Island would be no more than maybe a mile closer than just being by the Port.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #11 on: 10/28/2009 11:28 pm »

Sounds like they got Shaft'd ;)
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8667
  • Likes Given: 1369
« Reply #12 on: 11/11/2009 01:29 am »
Very disappointing mission overview from ULA.  No mention of orbital parameters or spacecraft mass for example.  Only passing mention of a secondary DoD payload.

http://www.ulalaunch.com/index_launch_info.html

Interesting that the second Centaur burn is not near the equator.

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 11/11/2009 01:31 am by edkyle99 »

Offline sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 2072
  • Likes Given: 1980
« Reply #13 on: 11/11/2009 03:28 am »
Very disappointing mission overview from ULA.  No mention of orbital parameters or spacecraft mass for example.  Only passing mention of a secondary DoD payload.

http://www.ulalaunch.com/index_launch_info.html

Interesting that the second Centaur burn is not near the equator.

- Ed Kyle

Could this be what they call an Extended Coast Transfer Orbit Mission Trajectory Profile?  About that the planner's guide says,

Another long coast technique substantially reduces the DV to GSO, but the transfer burn does not occur across a node. Instead, the Centaur extends the first burn duration to achieve an elliptical park orbit. After a coast of up to 2 hours, the Centaur re-ignites its engine to extensively raise perigee and achieve an argument of perigee of 180 degrees. The extended coast allows Centaur to perform the second burn at a very high altitude thus raising perigee very efficiently.

Is that description consistent with what's in the mission booklet?
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline yinzer

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #14 on: 11/11/2009 06:15 am »
The sample "long coast" trajectory in the Atlas Mission Planner's Guide has the first Centaur burn going from T+269 to T+1041 and the second going from T+8241 to T+8273.  The mission booklet has the first Centaur burn going from T+4:43 (283) to T+18:24 (1104) and the second from T+1:53:24 (6804) to T+1:54:56 (6906).

The first burn is a little longer and the second a little shorter and sooner, but it looks pretty similar.
California 2008 - taking rights from people and giving rights to chickens.

Offline jaythehokie

• Roanoke, VA
« Reply #15 on: 11/12/2009 04:31 pm »
I wonder why the Atlas V 431 has the 3 boosters attached in the fashion that they do.  (i.e. 2 on one side and 1 on the other).  Seems that arranging them in a triangular pattern would be more sensible allowing all 3 boosters to thrust evenly until burnout.  I'm sure there's a klogical reason for this since I'm no rocket scientist :P  but when i saw the rollout pics, I found it odd they were aligned that way.

I await the 'well duh's'... :)
4-16-07: We will never forget...

Offline kch

• Liked: 496
  • Likes Given: 8807
« Reply #16 on: 11/12/2009 04:34 pm »
I wonder why the Atlas V 431 has the 3 boosters attached in the fashion that they do.  (i.e. 2 on one side and 1 on the other).  Seems that arranging them in a triangular pattern would be more sensible allowing all 3 boosters to thrust evenly until burnout.  I'm sure there's a klogical reason for this since I'm no rocket scientist :P  but when i saw the rollout pics, I found it odd they were aligned that way.

I await the 'well duh's'... :)

Doesn't look too bad after you've seen a 411 ... ;)

Offline LOXRP1

• Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #17 on: 11/12/2009 04:40 pm »
When LM originally designed the CCB, they scarfed it for use on a potential HLV vehicle.  The solids had to accommodate the HLV attach points, thus the odd spacing.  The booster engine has to gimbal off-null to react the non-symmetric loading.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #18 on: 11/12/2009 04:52 pm »
ULA PAO:

A United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket with the commercial Intelsat-14 satellite sits poised for launch on its Space Launch Complex-41 launch pad after rolling out at 8 a.m. EST today.  The launch is scheduled for Nov. 14, with a 12:48 – 2:18 a.m. EST launch window.  The Atlas V launch will be performed on behalf of Lockheed Martin Commercial Launch Services.  The Intelsat-14 satellite will provide high-powered video and data services through its 40 C-band and 22 Ku-band payload to customers throughout the Americas, Europe and Africa. (Photo by Pat Corkery, United Launch Alliance)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline steveb23

« Reply #19 on: 11/12/2009 05:34 pm »
Hi all.

Now in Florida and looking forward to watching this launch tomorrow night. Is there any radio station I can recieve from port caneveral where I can hear what's going on?

Cheers guys

steve

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography