Author Topic: USA Layoffs - again - Covey E-mail  (Read 5000 times)

Online Chris Bergin

USA Layoffs - again - Covey E-mail
« on: 07/14/2009 07:51 PM »
To: ALL-EMPLOYEE; ALL-EMPLOYEE-USASO
Subject: CEO Letter Regarding Leadership Team Offsite

Dear Colleagues,

Last week, your senior leadership team wrapped up a two-day strategic planning session with a clear focus and process for moving our company into the future.  Our objectives for the meetings were to review the environment, discuss strategies for success and to refine our plans for flying out the Shuttle and transforming our company for the future beyond Shuttle.  We focused most of our efforts on organization structure, key processes, and workforce transition and support.  I feel good about our direction.

We confirmed that our future organization structure will be realigned to our future customers and contracts.  We identified requirements for streamlining our financial and business processes to support the organization of the future.  Working groups have been chartered to develop detailed implementation plans for these objectives.

We established a workforce profile for 2010 based on the current budget and NASA’s plan to fly six times in 2010 before retiring the Space Shuttle.  It is clear that we will need to make a workforce reduction in October to maintain alignment with budgets and flight schedules.  We will be working with the management team over the next couple of weeks to determine the exact numbers of people affected and the process and schedule we will follow.  We expect to have those details to communicate to you by the end of July.

Assuming the current plan does not change, we expect to minimize any further reductions during the coming fiscal year, as we will need to retain the great majority of our workforce to fly out Shuttle manifest.

There does remain some uncertainty with regard to exactly how/when the Shuttle will be retired, pending the outcome of the Augustine review.  Even though the outcome could possibly alter our plans, we will continue to support the current manifest and customer direction.  We are actively engaged with the Augustine committee to convey the impacts of the options they are reviewing on our workforce.

Over the next week or so, we will be briefing the management team on our plans, so that they can serve as knowledgeable sources of information as our transformation moves forward.  We will also be seeking your individual feedback using the Mission Update blog, the Employee Forum and more Crosstalks.

We will work to keep your management informed and equipped to address your needs.  And we will keep the dialogue open and flowing.

In the meantime, the key to opportunity for the future is your continued outstanding performance.  We should all take pride in ensuring that the remaining chapter of the Space Shuttle program is a success story that serves as a standard for what is to follow.  We still have a challenging flight manifest, each one vitally important to completing the International Space Station and setting the stage for the future of space exploration.  Every mission matters.

Best regards,

Richard O. Covey

President & CEO

United Space Alliance

Offline Davie OPF

• Kennedy Space Center
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: USA Layoffs - again - Covey E-mail
« Reply #1 on: 07/14/2009 08:50 PM »
How about waiting a month for the forward plan Covey!

Offline Spacetech1031

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: 07/14/2009 09:07 PM »
     Chris, here is a little more info on the layoff situation. There will be a voluntary reduction in force for USA Florida personnel only. Personnel may self-nominate by letter to be submitted in August to be approved or disapproved based on the needs and requirements to meet the manifest. The approvals will be made prior to the targeted date for reduction of 9 October, 2009. Supposedly, we will maintain the remaining workforce without further reductions for USA Florida. These plans are subject to change with the outcome of the Augustine Commision and the final results of NASA's budget as authorized by Congress.
     At the beginning of fiscal year 2010, there will be forced reductions for USA Houston in areas such as Flight Software as the need for such activities cease.
     More information will become available at the end of this month.

And so it begins! 

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #3 on: 07/14/2009 09:59 PM »
     Supposedly, we will maintain the remaining workforce without further reductions for USA Florida. These plans are subject to change with the outcome of the Augustine Commision and the final results of NASA's budget as authorized by Congress.

Much appreciated.

Not sure how they can retain the remainder during a six year gap (though that gap is a moot point as Ares is in death throws right now). Extension is possible, and Mr Covey seems to tip his hat to that - and other changes - in his e-mail.

However, someone tell me, why, why, why choose to announce this now? There's a launch tomorrow (all being well). I know there's never a good time to announce such things, but at least hold back until after Endeavour is back home.

Maybe it's just me that was bothered by the timing, and it's not complusary job losses at least.
« Last Edit: 07/14/2009 10:00 PM by Chris Bergin »

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 463
  • Likes Given: 4379
« Reply #4 on: 07/14/2009 10:02 PM »
You're not the only one bothered by the timing Chris...

Same goes with shuttle retirement in general. Very hard to keep focus. AT least Richard Covey drives this home a bit, but we are only on the outside, not the ones facing these prospects.
Remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our rights & freedoms, and for those injured, visible or otherwise, in that fight.

Offline Spacetech1031

« Reply #5 on: 07/14/2009 10:07 PM »
Chris, when I started working at KSC twenty two years ago, my Lead who was a veteran of the Gemini and Apollo programs told me that right after Apollo 17 cleared the tower, there was a speech over the loudspeakers and in that speech were the words "and as we go our seperate ways" - the layoffs commenced almost immediately.

Offline Spacetech1031

« Reply #6 on: 07/14/2009 10:12 PM »
Chris, I left out a part of the message. Supposedly, after the voluntary layoff, there will be no involuntary layoffs at KSC during fiscal year 2010. After 2010 - KATIE BAR THE DOOR!

Offline Flightstar

• Lurking around OPF High Bay 2
  • KSC, Florida
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #7 on: 07/14/2009 10:19 PM »
I retire next year, but we feel it too looking at the younger guys with mortages and so on.

Offline Spacetech1031

« Reply #8 on: 07/14/2009 10:24 PM »
I retire next year, but we feel it too looking at the younger guys with mortages and so on.
I know what you mean. I got the call during lunch today to expect an email about it and to tell my crew that it was coming. Even though it is voluntary right now, my younger guys had that "look" that you can't mistake, that their lives are about to change - possibly for the worse.

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 1834
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #9 on: 07/14/2009 10:26 PM »
However, someone tell me, why, why, why choose to announce this now? There's a launch tomorrow (all being well). I know there's never a good time to announce such things, but at least hold back until after Endeavour is back home.
Well, according to the post, they got back from the offsite and this was discussed there.  Holding this back probably doesn't prevent info from finding its way onto the proverbial grapevine.

Offline js117

« Reply #10 on: 07/14/2009 11:04 PM »
Maybe some of these people can go to work for spacex.
They might hire some if falcon 9 goes will.

Offline zapkitty

« Reply #11 on: 07/14/2009 11:24 PM »
Maybe some of these people can go to work for spacex.
They might hire some if falcon 9 goes well.

Very few. Too damn few.

If the results of Griffin's arrogance are allowed to run their course then there's no possible way for commercial space to soak up even a fraction of the ensuing flood of ex-NASA employees.

Offline Zachstar

• Expert
  • Washington State
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #12 on: 07/15/2009 12:59 AM »
Commercial space? Hows that going when you got auto workers that will likely not get their jobs back for over a decade if at all? When youve got an economy that will not return to pre recession levels without fusion? Etc...

SpaceX will hire but not a bunch. Also unless I am not mistaken SpaceX is nonunion meaning they lose a great deal of protection for hard work that they had before. (Note folks I am very pro-union now despite my comments in the past) So its not going to be better for them.

Offline Paul Adams

• Veteran
  • United Kingdom and USA
  • Liked: 36
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #13 on: 07/15/2009 01:05 AM »

(Note folks I am very pro-union now despite my comments in the past)

Did they get to you while you slept?
« Last Edit: 07/15/2009 01:05 AM by Paul Adams »
It's all in the data.

Offline zapkitty

« Reply #14 on: 07/15/2009 01:58 AM »
Quote from: Zachstar

That's just a myth.

Unions usually get to you when you're half-dead with the flu on hour 12 of your 10 hour shift...

Offline Paul Adams

• Veteran
  • United Kingdom and USA
« Reply #15 on: 07/15/2009 02:11 AM »
Quote from: Zachstar

That's just a myth.

Unions usually get to you when you're half-dead with the flu on hour 12 of your 10 hour shift...

That sounds much more plausable, but I thought you went supposed to say such things in public.
It's all in the data.

Offline Paul Adams

• Veteran
  • United Kingdom and USA
« Reply #16 on: 07/15/2009 02:14 AM »

The whole thing is a tragedy, on a personal level as highlighted by Flightstar, and a national level losing the skill set of these hard working folks  - and essentially handing thier jobs to the Russians. It's just not right.

Someone high up at this site, mentioned that a 'D Day' was comming with regard to STS extention. I only hope he is right.

Paul
« Last Edit: 07/15/2009 02:19 AM by Paul Adams »
It's all in the data.

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 368
  • Likes Given: 226
« Reply #17 on: 07/15/2009 05:32 AM »
Maybe it's just me that was bothered by the timing, and it's not complusary job losses at least.

Everything is a trade, right?  The choice here is wait until after the flight, but then right before the next one; or give folks 2 more weeks to plan their futures.  I'd rather have the time, especially when it's no surprise anyway.  Above all, I'm only entitled to 3 things and a job isn't one of them.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline Gene DiGennaro

• Armchair Astronaut
  • Baltimore, Md
    • Glenn L. Martin Maryland Aviation Museum
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #18 on: 07/15/2009 08:41 PM »
Interesting, President Clinton bent over backwards to keep Russian spaceworkers employed by bringing them into the space station project. Fast forward 15 years and what are we doing for AMERICAN spaceworkers?

Offline Nate_Trost

• Liked: 38
« Reply #19 on: 07/15/2009 08:51 PM »
Clearly the american spaceworkers should threaten to proliferate ICBM technology to undesirable regimes.

Tags: