Author Topic: Space Florida deal on LC-41/Atlas  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Removed Account

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Last Edit: 11/27/2009 12:45 PM by Removed Account »

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 463
  • Likes Given: 4397
Re: Florida deal to save 700 shuttle jobs
« Reply #1 on: 06/23/2009 08:22 PM »
Cool, thanks! Look forward to the contents tomorrow.
Remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our rights & freedoms, and for those injured, visible or otherwise, in that fight.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #2 on: 06/23/2009 08:30 PM »
Ha! I got that aswell and it was under embargo until they send the presser. Some media! :D

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 463
  • Likes Given: 4397
« Reply #3 on: 06/23/2009 08:48 PM »
Ha! I got that aswell and it was under embargo until they send the presser. Some media! :D

That's what you get sometimes for playing the nice guy  ;)
But this site is better for it.
Remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our rights & freedoms, and for those injured, visible or otherwise, in that fight.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #4 on: 06/24/2009 12:44 AM »
For Immediate Release

June 23, 2009                                                             

Space Florida and United Launch Alliance Partner to Secure Launch Complex 41

What: A news briefing discussing the $100 million conduit financing package and partnership between Space Florida

and United Launch Alliance which demonstrates Florida’s ability to rapidly address the needs of the industry.

Who:  Lt. Governor Jeff Kottkamp and Frank DiBello, Interim President, Space Florida.

When:  Press conference at approximately 11:45 a.m. (EDT) immediately following the Space Florida Board Meeting,

8:30 a.m. – 11:45 a.m., Wed., June 24, 2009.

Where: Kurt H. Debus Conference Facility, Vanguard Room, Kennedy Space Center, Florida

Parking available for media in the NASA Guest Operations lot on the southwest side of the Kennedy Space Center Visitor

Complex

Note: Media that cannot attend but are interested in listening to the briefing can dial-in to the public conference line at

877-286-7960, participant code 5000#

About Space Florida: Space Florida was created to strengthen Florida’s position as the global leader in aerospace research,

investment, exploration and commerce. As Florida's aerospace development organization, Space Florida is committed to attracting

and expanding the next generation of space industry businesses. With its highly trained enhance workforce, proven infrastructure

and unparalleled record of achievement, Florida is the ideal location for aerospace businesses to thrive - and Space Florida is the

perfect partner to help them succeed. www.spaceflorida.gov

# # #

Julie Arnold

Griffin Integrated Marketing

(321) 773-3841

(321) 527-1228 (cell)

[email protected]

Tina Lange

Director, Marketing Communications

(321) 474-2654

[email protected]

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 368
  • Likes Given: 226
« Reply #5 on: 06/24/2009 01:43 PM »
http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20090624/NEWS02/906240321/1006/NEWS01/ULA+gets+deal+for+2nd+pad

Might want to change the thread title to be more explicit about LC-41/Atlas

Edit: Deleted my later post about this being a big deal to alleviate clogs for different customers and HSF use.

Sounds like Space Florida still has a long way to go to be a respectable organization.  Their press release was junk.
« Last Edit: 06/24/2009 08:14 PM by Antares »
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Online Chris Bergin

Re: Space Florida deal on LC-41/Atlas
« Reply #6 on: 06/24/2009 02:16 PM »
Changed the title.

Bobby Block got it right last night by noting this was hyped up somewhat by the marketing arm Space Florida use for their PAO activities. The e-mail I recieved yesterday was tagged as a "huge" deal in the subject line. I'm thinking that's what pre-empted CF13 etc to run with just the pre-empt.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_space_thewritestuff/2009/06/space-florida-hypes-ula-launch-pad-refinancing-deal.html

Offline Norm Hartnett

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 56
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: 06/24/2009 03:31 PM »
OK so the $100m deal that saves 700 jobs is a $95m refinance of an existing contract and will only save jobs for current employees on that project.

Does having LC-41 online boost possibilities or reduce costs if the Augustine Commission recommends using EELV for HSF? A major portion of the Delta IVH fixed costs seem to be the development of a separate pad for manned operations. Is LC-41 suitable for modifications for manned operations of the Atlas V without interfering with ongoing unmanned (NASA & USAF) operations?

“You can’t take a traditional approach and expect anything but the traditional results, which has been broken budgets and not fielding any flight hardware.” Mike Gold - Apollo, STS, CxP; those that don't learn from history are condemned to repeat it: SLS.

Offline Norm Hartnett

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 56
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: 06/24/2009 03:49 PM »
Thanks for the answers, so this is a good thing although the Space Florida PAO apparently missed the point.

BTW and totally OT.

North Alabama Space Agency, is their logo an actual meat ball?
“You can’t take a traditional approach and expect anything but the traditional results, which has been broken budgets and not fielding any flight hardware.” Mike Gold - Apollo, STS, CxP; those that don't learn from history are condemned to repeat it: SLS.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #9 on: 06/24/2009 05:05 PM »
Key word for today is "overblown".

This was sent to the workforce:

"Launch Ops Team,
You've probably seen in the news an announcement regarding SLC-41 and an agreement with Space Florida worth $100 million and supposedly "saving 700 aerospace jobs."  I wanted to take a minute to clarify the story from an ULA perspective since the news accounts are a bit over blown.  When Complex 41 was built in the 1990s, a financing arrangement existed between Lockheed Martin and the then Florida Space Authority.  Since ULA's inception, we have been novating, or converting, standing Lockheed Martin and Boeing contracts over to ULA.  This is one of those contracts.  Since we are new and Space Florida is also a new organization since the 1990s, it required both sides to sign a new agreement. While SLC-41 is valued at $100 million and 700 employees do work for ULA at the Cape, this is not a new project as being currently reported in the media.  Our communications team has been working hard with the state and the media to have this reported correctly since the "breaking news" reports hit the streets.  While unfortunate, with today's tough economic times, any sliver of good news is being reported in grand fashion and is sometimes misrepresented in the media.  This is one of those times.  While it is good news for ULA to have our own contracts for our facilities, I don't want to give the impression that ULA has struck a new deal that would result in any new facilities being built or job increases. "

Tags: