Author Topic: Bolden, Garver nominated for NASA Administration  (Read 62070 times)

Online robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 463
  • Likes Given: 4367
Re: Bolden, Garver nominated for NASA Administration
« Reply #40 on: 05/24/2009 12:16 AM »
I found this quite interesting...

http://www.spacepolitics.com/2009/05/23/nelsons-video-statement-about-bolden-nomination/

From Senator Nelson on Bolden:

“He needs, and he has to, restore that wonder that space exploration provides, and he needs to carry out the president’s mission, and that is to have us on the Moon by 2020.”

Obviously referring to former President Bush's mission, not Obama's.
Remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our rights & freedoms, and for those injured, visible or otherwise, in that fight.

Offline chickenpants

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: 05/24/2009 02:18 AM »
Not good. There will be some hideous political battles as a result of the deal cut.

Not about the people - but the manner of the political decision made in caving to Nelson while getting back-office control via Garver.

I think you overestimate the interest outside of the aerospace community.  All eyes will be on the Supreme Court nomination.

Offline nooneofconsequence

• no one is playing fair ...
« Reply #42 on: 05/24/2009 02:33 AM »
Not good. There will be some hideous political battles as a result of the deal cut.

Not about the people - but the manner of the political decision made in caving to Nelson while getting back-office control via Garver.

I think you overestimate the interest outside of the aerospace community.  All eyes will be on the Supreme Court nomination.
Huh? Am only talking about aerospace - the knives have been sharpened, and blood may flow. Awaiting the trigger ...
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something" - Plato

« Reply #43 on: 05/24/2009 02:35 AM »

I'm very excited about Bolden.  Even when he makes a decision differently than I would, which I'm sure will happen shortly; he has my vote of confidence. 

Were you excited when Richard Truly was named a NASA administrator?
No. Nor surprised at his ... err ... performance.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something" - Plato

Offline mmeijeri

• Martijn Meijering
  • NL
  • Liked: 76
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #44 on: 05/24/2009 02:46 AM »
Huh? Am only talking about aerospace - the knives have been sharpened, and blood may flow. Awaiting the trigger ...

Can you say more? In particular, how might Boeing/LM react to Bolden?
We will be vic-toooooo-ri-ous!!!

Offline kfsorensen

• aerospace and nuclear engineer
  • Huntsville, AL
    • Flibe Energy
  • Liked: 117
« Reply #45 on: 05/24/2009 02:48 AM »
Not at all encouraged. Suggest that Obama attempted to out wait Nelson, got caught on it, shrugged, and caved to Nelson because he didn't care - wasn't worth the trouble to fight Nelson.

Pretty much my read on the situation too.  Obama didn't want Bolden because he wanted to cut HSF, Nelson dug in his heels, after a while Obama said "why do I care this much?" and gave Nelson what he wanted.

That said, General Bolden is an exceptionally skilled and qualified choice for the post who seems to have excellent personal integrity.  But then again, I thought the same things about Griffin.

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 1405
  • Likes Given: 877
« Reply #46 on: 05/24/2009 02:50 AM »
Finally, a nominee. No more rumours.

I always thought that Garver made more sense as NASA Deputy Administrator than Administrator given her strong political ties with the Democrats which made her in my opinion less than obvious as a nominee for NASA Administrator. Bolden, on the other hand, is apolitical as far as I know. The fact that Mike Griffin likes him is also a plus. ;)

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n0905/23bolden/
« Last Edit: 05/24/2009 02:54 AM by yg1968 »

« Reply #47 on: 05/24/2009 03:07 AM »
Not at all encouraged. Suggest that Obama attempted to out wait Nelson, got caught on it, shrugged, and caved to Nelson because he didn't care - wasn't worth the trouble to fight Nelson.

Pretty much my read on the situation too.  Obama didn't want Bolden because he wanted to cut HSF, Nelson dug in his heels, after a while Obama said "why do I care this much?" and gave Nelson what he wanted.

That said, General Bolden is an exceptionally skilled and qualified choice for the post who seems to have excellent personal integrity.  But then again, I thought the same things about Griffin.
That's why I said "not about the people themselves".

When you run things people have certain expectations. If you're not used to managing such expectations, things begin to close in on you, and you may react differently as a result.

My explanation of what happened to Griffin. He took the wrong cues.

So that's why I don't like this. Bolden/Garver haven't done anything close to this, and its worse when you've been surgically attached at the hip like this - you don't have the flexibility to move dexterously as you need.

So Obama has to do if for them. There's only so much time he can do this before he tires - and he might not put in *any* more time period.

One time I watched this before, and it became a enormous time sink on the top guy - he hated it, because it was another full time job on top of his other ones. Very draining, because you have to do it by *remote control*, without letting the wires show. The resentments built up, and ... bloowie! Second time around picked a saner choice.

Was hoping that Scolese would run things longer myself.

Offline brahmanknight

• I don't have all the right answers, but I do have all the right questions
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 100
« Reply #48 on: 05/24/2009 05:00 AM »
Congrats to Charlie Bolden!

I love that the nominated administrator is the only person to have ever actually taken the slide wire baskets ride down from the FSS to the bunker ( I believe that is still true ). 

Offline Analyst

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #49 on: 05/24/2009 06:59 AM »
Folks should keep the following in mind (with respect to HSF):

Griffin did try an expensive architecture to reach expensive goals while at the very same time his budget was severely (right so) limited (quasi fixed). He canibalized other NASA departments and could not even come close to narrowing the gap between available funding and needed funding (nor could he close the other gap).

Bolden faces the same problem: The goals are still much more expensive than the budget. You can change the architecture (and save a few bucks), but the budget is still not there (right so), to the contrary: The canibalized departments want funding back (right so).

So before cheering gets through the roof: Bolden has limited room to move. He can't fix the "goals (ambitions) vs. budget" gap. So the moon is not any closer than yesterday.

Analyst

Offline kraisee

• Expert
  • Liked: 415
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #50 on: 05/24/2009 09:05 AM »
I'm willing to give Charlie Bolden a chance.   By all accounts he's a smart guy and a good operator.   And while there is a lot of press, I haven't actually seen any real evidence that he's tied to Mike Griffin's plans.

Only time will tell, of course, but I hope he is his own man and isn't beholden to anyone.   I will be watching his actions closely to see who Bolden really is.

I don't think there is any doubt, however, that Bolden and Garver are going to have a really tough job ahead of them sorting out the agency's current troubles.   I wish them both luck in the task ahead of them.   For the sakes of the agency, I hope they are both up to the difficult challenges before them.

Ross.
« Last Edit: 05/24/2009 11:31 AM by kraisee »
"The meek shall inherit the Earth -- the rest of us will go to the stars"
-Robert A. Heinlein

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #51 on: 05/24/2009 09:39 AM »
Senator Hutchison’s Statement on President’s Intent to Nominate Charles Bolden to Head NASA

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-Texas), Ranking Member of the Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee, today released the following statement on the President’s intent to nominate Charles Bolden to be the next NASA Administrator.

“I am delighted that the President intends to nominate retired Marine General and astronaut Charles Bolden to be the next NASA Administrator.  He brings the enthusiasm for science and exploration that NASA needs at this crucial time in its history. 

“I talked to General Bolden today following the announcement of his intended nomination.  We discussed the importance of finishing the space station so the scientific research can be fully supported.  He and I agree that space exploration is essential for America's future security and we look forward to working together to continue America's preeminence in space.

“I believe the Commerce Committee will move expeditiously to consider this nomination, and that of the nominee for Deputy NASA Administrator, Lori Garver, upon receiving their paperwork.  I look forward to working with them as we move ahead to preserve America's leadership in space.”

Offline Andy USA

• Lead Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Los Angeles, California
  • Liked: 129
  • Likes Given: 128
« Reply #52 on: 05/24/2009 05:21 PM »
Aren't there other threads to go back and forth on about architecture options? I'd like to hear more about folks' thoughts about the nominations of Charlie and Lori, personally.

Apologies, we were all busy with Atlantis' landing, and it appeared the Direct fan group took the opportunity to hijack. Not for long, I've deleted the thread back and any repeat will result in their accounts being suspended from posting for an interim, as I've already requested this thread stays on the title subject, as all threads should.

Offline Danny Dot

• Rocket Scientist, NOT Retired
  • Houston, Texas
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #53 on: 05/24/2009 05:27 PM »

Griffin did try an expensive architecture to reach expensive goals while at the very same time his budget was severely (right so) limited (quasi fixed). He canibalized other NASA departments and could not even come close to narrowing the gap between available funding and needed funding (nor could he close the other gap).

Bolden faces the same problem: The goals are still much more expensive than the budget. You can change the architecture (and save a few bucks), but the budget is still not there (right so), to the contrary: The canibalized departments want funding back (right so).

So before cheering gets through the roof: Bolden has limited room to move. He can't fix the "goals (ambitions) vs. budget" gap. So the moon is not any closer than yesterday.

Analyst

All very true.  Going to the moon on this budget will be next to impossible -- especially if we decide to support station past 2016.  Good luck Gen Bolden.  Even with a lower cost architecture it is going to be very difficult.

Danny Deger
« Last Edit: 05/24/2009 05:29 PM by Danny Dot »
Danny Deger

Offline marsavian

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #54 on: 05/24/2009 06:03 PM »
Good choices in that both are enthusiastic and will be engaged and care. Bolden is actively supported by Congress and Garver by the President so there will be direct communication between the two strands of Government in NASA so at least hopefully issues can be sorted quickly. Congress will just have to add money to HSF that the President wants to take away to give to Science if we want to see the Moon again before 2030. The only thing I will say about architecture was that Bolden as a former Astronaut and paid ATK lobbyist was an active proponent of Ares I so unless the Augustine Commission has greater teeth than I imagine Cx won't change and we should get Ares VII eventually, say in 2025 ;). Time for Nelson now to back his candidate with hard cash.
« Last Edit: 05/24/2009 06:08 PM by marsavian »

Offline kfsorensen

• Huntsville, AL
    • Flibe Energy
« Reply #55 on: 05/24/2009 06:04 PM »
All very true.  Going to the moon on this budget will be next to impossible -- especially if we decide to support station past 2016.  Good luck Gen Bolden.  Even with a lower cost architecture it is going to be very difficult.

No, you could go to the Moon on this budget--probably even far less, but with elevated risk, less crew, less access, etc.

The question I keep wondering is why are we sending people to the Moon?  If we had a clear answer, we'd know where they needed to go, how many there needed to be, how long they needed to be there, and what equipment they needed to have with them.

Until then, it's all just opinion.

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 1405
  • Likes Given: 877
« Reply #56 on: 05/24/2009 06:05 PM »

Analyst

Yep I couldn't agree more. Being a NASA Administrator isn't the easiest job in the world. Though choices will have to be made. Hopefuly, Congress will not reduce the budget in the out years giving him more room to maneuver.

Offline mmeijeri

• Martijn Meijering
  • NL
  • Liked: 76
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #57 on: 05/24/2009 06:10 PM »
The question I keep wondering is why are we sending people to the Moon?  If we had a clear answer, we'd know where they needed to go, how many there needed to be, how long they needed to be there, and what equipment they needed to have with them.

IMHO:

1) ISRU
2) science

Not two things you'd expect an astronaut to be particularly passionate about. Has Bolden publicly said anything about these topics in the past?
We will be vic-toooooo-ri-ous!!!

Offline kfsorensen

• Huntsville, AL
    • Flibe Energy
« Reply #58 on: 05/24/2009 06:17 PM »
IMHO:

1) ISRU
2) science

OK--neither of those requires sending people.

Online robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 463
  • Likes Given: 4367
« Reply #59 on: 05/24/2009 06:24 PM »

Yep I couldn't agree more. Being a NASA Administrator isn't the easiest job in the world. Though choices will have to be made. Hopefuly, Congress will not reduce the budget in the out years giving him more room to maneuver.

Okay, now you have to wonder: would he truly know all the inside issues (or some of them) before even meeting with the President? What would drive a person to take on such a daunting task with all the major decision coming up. Some have already declined the job, probably because they already knew some, if not many of those issues and wanted to steer clear.

Yes, many like challenges; some feed off of them. But to accept this job brings two things to mind:

1) He was already given a set of 'orders', or at least the inside plan of what Obama wants to do.
2) He is oblivious to so many of the issues behind the scenes that he might be over his head.

I'm thinking 100% to the former, in which case he only needs to motivate the troops, clean shop, and provide definitive answers to Congress (ones Obama & his team may already know).
Remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our rights & freedoms, and for those injured, visible or otherwise, in that fight.

Tags: