Author Topic: Senate and House pass NASA bill for extra funding - shuttle extension goals  (Read 70305 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/content/?cid=5525
(It's a long one! Very interesting content in the Bill - hope I represented its status correctly)

Click attachment for the full Bill:
« Last Edit: 09/27/2008 06:44 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline quickshot89

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
very nice read there, from what ive read, it looks like the AMS is gettings its flight? althought im no good at reading things like that.

Offline Chris Bergin

very nice read there, from what ive read, it looks like the AMS is gettings its flight? althought im no good at reading things like that.

Thanks!

This is the proposal....51D Mascot is going to be able to put this all in context better than I...and it has to be appropiated, signed off by the President etc. So nothing's changed as per FY09 yet, but it's taken a very good step forward.

If this all gets signed off on, then NASA is "directed to take all necessary steps" to add AMS to the manifest - with NASA holding a condition they can say no based on safety, at which point it goes back to the politicans to see if they can bump up it's "need" to be added etc.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Paul Howard

• Veteran
  • Perth, Western Australia
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 25
Wow, amazing read. That's shows how active NASA can get with a bit of extra funding. Hope they get it!

Offline faustod

• Italy
Good to know!
A very nice article.
« Last Edit: 09/26/2008 10:10 am by faustod »

Offline SimonShuttle

• Elite Veteran
  • Manchester, England
  • Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 89
If I was a US Taxpayer, I'd be saying "why can't my money be going on this, and not bailing out some rich banker 10s of times over." You get a lot of money's worth out of this 20 billion!

Offline William Barton

• Liked: 6
If I was a US Taxpayer, I'd be saying "why can't my money be going on this, and not bailing out some rich banker 10s of times over." You get a lot of money's worth out of this 20 billion!

$700bln invested in things like the space program might bail out the economy better than the proposed bailout. Use it to buy things and pay paychecks. I guess that's "naive."

Offline Martin FL

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 274
The Orlando Sentinel and Florida Today only gave this a few lines of attention this morning. Here's a huge article and the actual act.  Totally awesome read.

Love the idea of a Neil Armstrong Lunar Base. Tracking device on the Apophis asteroid! Shuttle extension looks even more serious here too.

Haven't been this encouraged by the powers that be at the political level for NASA and Space for some serious length of time.
« Last Edit: 09/26/2008 12:07 pm by Martin FL »

Offline Andy USA

• Lead Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Los Angeles, California
  • Liked: 206
  • Likes Given: 255
Wooow. Had no idea all this was going on behind the scenes. Thought it was mainly about saving CxP's technical mis-spendings. Had no idea it was this exciting! Politics normally bores me to tears. Now if only it becomes a done deal!

Offline Davie OPF

• Kennedy Space Center
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 6
Interesting they have the two extension options in a Bill. Very encouraged (for the first time in years) there's some leadership in getting this right at the Senate level.

Offline KEdward5

• Dallas, TX
  • Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 116
There's something for everyone in that Bill. Is that usual?

Offline Davinator

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 74
Wooow. Had no idea all this was going on behind the scenes. Thought it was mainly about saving CxP's technical mis-spendings. Had no idea it was this exciting!

Same here. And I doubt that'll change, as there's always going to be a majority who won't give a crap about things like this, but will fall over themselves to read what Lisa Nowak's up to now.

Offline Gary

There's something for everyone in that Bill. Is that usual?

No, It's politics. If there is something for everyone then senators can cherry pick the bits they like as the reason for approving it.

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
  • Liked: 16
Excellent read.  This is very encouraging!  Definitely a big surprise from the guys in Washington...
www.astro95media.com - Lead Video & Graphics

Offline Peter NASA

• Extreme Veteran
  • SOMD
  • Liked: 5737
  • Likes Given: 98
Very good work with the article. This Bill places the focus on Obama and McCain. Both are making the right noises, but this is their opportunity to put their money where the mouths are. It's all set up for them now.

Online Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3081
  • Likes Given: 293
Why is everyone excited about an authorization bill?  These things are near-meaningless, non-binding bills that don't appropriate any actual money, nor set any policy.  NASA is under the same continuing resolution as everyone else as far as I know, and it will be *at least* next spring when an appropriation is finally taken up.  By then there will be a new Congress and a new President, neither of which have any reason to pay any attention whatsoever to this bill.  There's a better-than-average chance that no appropriation bill will be passed at all during FY09 and we'll be operating under a CR for the entire year.

Offline Martin FL

• Elite Veteran
Why is everyone excited about an authorization bill?  These things are near-meaningless, non-binding bills that don't appropriate any actual money, nor set any policy.  NASA is under the same continuing resolution as everyone else as far as I know, and it will be *at least* next spring when an appropriation is finally taken up.  By then there will be a new Congress and a new President, neither of which have any reason to pay any attention whatsoever to this bill.  There's a better-than-average chance that no appropriation bill will be passed at all during FY09 and we'll be operating under a CR for the entire year.

The presidential candidates, especially Obama, have made it clear they wish to support a framework of allowing for additional funds for NASA, to support the requirements laid out in this Bill.

To say it's meaningless is nonsense. Without this, where's the framework? The steps have to be taken, and this one one of them.

Online Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3081
  • Likes Given: 293
It's meaningless because it's non-binding.  One year, the authorization for my program was for $52.5 million and the appropriation later was for $28.5 million, and that was within the same Congress!  This is even less meaningful than that because the appropriation will be by a new Congress signed (or not) by a new President, and possibly even during a new fiscal year (FY10).

Offline ShuttleDiscovery

• NASA's first teenage astronaut
  • UK
    • Shuttle Discovery's Space Page
This is getting rather exciting! I hope they get it and extend the shuttle etc...

Offline Martin FL

• Elite Veteran
It's meaningless because it's non-binding.  One year, the authorization for my program was for $52.5 million and the appropriation later was for $28.5 million, and that was within the same Congress!  This is even less meaningful than that because the appropriation will be by a new Congress signed (or not) by a new President, and possibly even during a new fiscal year (FY10).

So why waste the Senate and the Senators time even creating this if it's "meaningless". Why now waste the time of the House, and potentially having the President waste his time even reading it (not that he'll likely physically read it himself, but you see what I mean).

Of course it's non-binding, otherwise we'd all be jumping up and down and planning out where the money goes today, it's a step towards. But to say it's already pointless is beyond negative.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography