Author Topic: STS-126: Viewing (Going to the Launch etc.)  (Read 87263 times)

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 247
  • Likes Given: 28
Re: STS-126: Viewing (Going to the Launch etc.)
« Reply #60 on: 10/23/2008 03:32 PM »
You might try the rental car company websites, they will list out the requirements for non-citizens.

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 5529
  • Likes Given: 701
« Reply #61 on: 10/23/2008 03:44 PM »
Ok... last call for anyone wishing to join a NSF group for dinner the day before launch. I currently know of 7 people interested in meeting up. If you're interested please SEND ME A PM. The restaurant needs to know for reservations by Friday as they're obviously expecting a lot of business around Endeavour's launch.

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Global Moderator
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
« Reply #62 on: 10/23/2008 03:47 PM »
Also, I have looked at my schedule and I will offer the opportunity for those of us attending the launch (but who don't have LTTs) to view the launch together from the riverside. Please SEND ME A PM if you're interested in joining me for the night launch of Endeavour.
« Last Edit: 10/23/2008 03:48 PM by ChrisGebhardt »

Offline Aobrien

• Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #63 on: 10/24/2008 11:13 PM »
Hello everyone I was just wondering if the NASA Up Close Tour is open the day before launch? If not what about the regular bus tour? If these are both closed the day before launch then when do they close to begin with?

Thanks
NSF L2=The Ultimate Space Passport

Offline jeff2space

• P.E.
  • Wisconsin
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #64 on: 10/25/2008 03:44 AM »
Hello everyone I was just wondering if the NASA Up Close Tour is open the day before launch? If not what about the regular bus tour? If these are both closed the day before launch then when do they close to begin with?

Thanks

Both tours should be running the day before launch. The regular tour usually runs the day of night launches but not to the LC-39 Observation Gantry.

Offline Aobrien

• Tampa, Florida
« Reply #65 on: 10/25/2008 03:59 AM »
Thanks

Online DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 463
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #66 on: 10/26/2008 03:58 AM »
Bus tours are terminated shortly before the release of the T-11 hour Built-In-Hold(BIH), which for an Nov. 14 launch would be around 3 am. EST that morning.
« Last Edit: 10/26/2008 04:04 AM by DaveS »
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline trebloc

• Go for launch!
  • Ireland
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #67 on: 10/26/2008 12:16 PM »
Sorry if this has been asked already but what frequencies should I listen in on on my radio/scanner to catch the countdown from titusville?
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
Carl Sagan,

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 247
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #68 on: 10/26/2008 12:22 PM »
Sorry if this has been asked already but what frequencies should I listen in on on my radio/scanner to catch the countdown from titusville?

First result in a search - http://www.google.com/search?q=ksc+frequencies

Offline HIPAR

• NE Pa (USA)
« Reply #69 on: 10/27/2008 03:30 PM »
Just some trivia -- When STS-126 leaves it will be the first blastoff from Florida since GLAST on 11 June.

---  CHAS

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 3187
  • Likes Given: 192
« Reply #70 on: 10/27/2008 05:34 PM »
I recieved my tickets and car pas from KSC today...arival time before 11 am at KSC to watch a launch that is  around 7:45 pm...

« Last Edit: 10/27/2008 05:34 PM by jacqmans »

Offline astrobrian

• NSF Photographer
  • Austin Texas
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #71 on: 10/27/2008 06:43 PM »
Anyone that can help out with camera settings for the night launch would be appreciated.  Night shots are a bit tricky and I wouldn't want to pass up using all our fellow pro's on the site

Offline mceddiemac

• North Carolina
« Reply #72 on: 10/27/2008 07:30 PM »
Anyone that can help out with camera settings for the night launch would be appreciated.  Night shots are a bit tricky and I wouldn't want to pass up using all our fellow pro's on the site

This site helped me out immensely for STS-123.
http://www.phototrek.org/Travel/STS-93/exposure.html

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 269
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #73 on: 10/27/2008 07:49 PM »
Anyone that can help out with camera settings for the night launch would be appreciated. 

I'd suggest contacting Ben Cooper through his site www.LaunchPhotography.com -- when it comes to "pros" in the field of shuttle photography, there are few who can match his expertise. (Of course I try, but in all sincerity, his guidance has made me a better photographer.)

Offline mceddiemac

• North Carolina
« Reply #74 on: 10/27/2008 08:00 PM »
I'd suggest contacting Ben Cooper through his site www.LaunchPhotography.com -- when it comes to "pros" in the field of shuttle photography, there are few who can match his expertise. (Of course I try, but in all sincerity, his guidance has made me a better photographer.)
That's probably a better suggestion. Ben's a regular here and work is impressive and he probably would love to help.  I think if we pressure him he would add something to his website offering such information for the novice photographer.
http://www.launchphotography.com/

Offline astrobrian

• NSF Photographer
  • Austin Texas
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #75 on: 10/27/2008 08:09 PM »
Roger that, will do , thanks, didn't know he had his own site
 8)
« Last Edit: 10/27/2008 08:26 PM by astrobrian »

Offline trebloc

• Go for launch!
  • Ireland
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #76 on: 10/27/2008 08:51 PM »
Some quick / simple questions to any Forida residents. I will be flying into Orlando on the 13th and renting a car to drive to Titusville.

1. How much is the toll on the drive over? I need to get some US currency change.
2. I have not been to the states in nearly 25 years, what is the story with tipping? How much is expected?
3. Shop prices are displayed without Tax! is this true? Or do they show price with tax?
4. Would it be better to drive to the river front to watch Launch in Titusville or get a cab from the hotel?

Thanks in advance.

TC
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
Carl Sagan,

Offline Aobrien

• Tampa, Florida
« Reply #77 on: 10/27/2008 09:02 PM »
Well I'm not quite old enough to know some of this but for question 3 usually they show prices without tax. I live in Tampa for my whole life and have been to KSC about 5 times but have never been to a launch. For STS-126 I was going to do the eat with a astronaut and LTT tickets. Sadly I got on and filled out the form at 9am but thay were sold out by the time I was done. :'( So my plan is to go to Titusville and watch from the river where everyone goes.

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Global Moderator
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
« Reply #78 on: 10/27/2008 09:17 PM »
Some quick / simple questions to any Forida residents. I will be flying into Orlando on the 13th and renting a car to drive to Titusville.

1. How much is the toll on the drive over? I need to get some US currency change.
2. I have not been to the states in nearly 25 years, what is the story with tipping? How much is expected?
3. Shop prices are displayed without Tax! is this true? Or do they show price with tax?
4. Would it be better to drive to the river front to watch Launch in Titusville or get a cab from the hotel?

Thanks in advance.

TC

1. I'd plan on spending about $5 on tolls for the drive from Orlando to Titiusville. It may not be that much, but it's a good amount to plan for.
2. In restaurants, a basic tip is about 15%. Of course, you can raise or lower this percentage depending on service.
3. Shop prices and menu prices are displayed without tax.
4. Are you staying in Titusville? If so, I guess you can take a cab. I'm offering the opportunity for NSF members to watch the launch together, so when I decide on a good meeting place you can just take a cab there and one of us will drive you to the viewing spot if you'd like. Any other questions, PM me.

Offline jeff2space

• P.E.
  • Wisconsin
« Reply #79 on: 10/27/2008 09:58 PM »

1. I'd plan on spending about $5 on tolls for the drive from Orlando to Titiusville. It may not be that much, but it's a good amount to plan for.

You'll pass through one toll on Tollway 528 between Orlando International Airport and Titusville and the cost for a car is $1.25.

Tags: