Author Topic: In your personal Opinion, which was the most important Shuttle assembly mission.  (Read 2437 times)

Online Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 482
  • Likes Given: 933
Which was in your Opinion the most important post-RTF assembly mission? They are all very Important, but which one sticks out to you as were the Station grew Larger, Power capability, Living Size, Ect, any of those. My Personal Opinion would be STS-120, They moved the P6 and installed Harmony, the Station look a lot different before STS-120 than it did after.
Attended space missions: STS-114, STS-124, STS-128, STS-135, Atlas V "Curiosity", Delta IV Heavy NROL-15, Atlas V MUOS-2, Delta IV Heavy NROL-37, Falcon 9 CRS-9, Falcon 9 JCSAT-16, Atlas V GOES-R, Falcon 9 SES-11, Falcon Heavy Demo, Falcon 9 Es'hail-2.

Offline faustod

• Italy
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
I agree about STS-120.

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 252
  • Likes Given: 31
"The Last One" -- because if the last one was unsuccessful, the next one wouldn't be able to continue...
« Last Edit: 07/29/2008 01:40 PM by rdale »

Offline HIPAR

• NE Pa (USA)
What was the most important shuttle mission?  The one that fixed the Hubble Space telescope.

---  CHAS

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 252
  • Likes Given: 31
The one that fixed the Hubble Space telescope.

HST is not part of the ISS assembly though...

Offline HIPAR

• NE Pa (USA)
The one that fixed the Hubble Space telescope.

HST is not part of the ISS assembly though...

Sorry, but I had to say that anyway. 

---  CHAS

Online Bubbinski

Yeah, I think STS-120 was the "turning point" - if they hadn't repaired the solar panel and gotten P6 deployed all right that would have been a huge blow, would the Columbus or Kibo missions even have been possible with just two solar panel trusses instead of three?  (And one of them with a crippled SARJ to boot).

I'm thinking STS-126 (SARJ repair) is another critical one to watch.
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Online Orbiter

• Florida
Ya, STS-120 was pretty big of a mission, a lot got done with a Great crew (all of them have the best crews.)
Attended space missions: STS-114, STS-124, STS-128, STS-135, Atlas V "Curiosity", Delta IV Heavy NROL-15, Atlas V MUOS-2, Delta IV Heavy NROL-37, Falcon 9 CRS-9, Falcon 9 JCSAT-16, Atlas V GOES-R, Falcon 9 SES-11, Falcon Heavy Demo, Falcon 9 Es'hail-2.

Offline jscott227

STS-98. The installation of the US lab destiny. Which featured the tricky robtics to mate the lab by Marsha Ivins. Then rookie eva'er Robert Curbeam wrestling an ammonia valve closed after the flow wouldn't stop from an open connection. If the leak continued the lab would have been lost.

John

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 35
STS-98. The installation of the US lab destiny. Which featured the tricky robtics to mate the lab by Marsha Ivins. Then rookie eva'er Robert Curbeam wrestling an ammonia valve closed after the flow wouldn't stop from an open connection. If the leak continued the lab would have been lost.

John

Might have been my answer as well, except the original post specified "post-RTF" (should probably have done so in the subject line as well).
JRF

Online Orbiter

• Florida

John

Might have been my answer as well, except the original post specified "post-RTF" (should probably have done so in the subject line as well).

Not enough Room.

Offline khallow

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 4
I agree that the "last one" is going to be the most important Shuttle mission. The ISS will be more or less complete and we can move beyond  the Shuttle.
Karl Hallowell

Offline jscott227

"Might have been my answer as well, except the original post specified "post-RTF" (should probably have done so in the subject line as well)."

Oops! Sorry, didn't read the first post, just the title.
 STS-115 was a big boost for the psyche. We were back in business. Sts-116 set the stage for the next missions to proceed. But i'll go with 120 for the amount of major tasks and  having to invent a new mission on orbit!

Offline charlieb

• Veteran
  • King of Prussia, PA, USA
  • Likes Given: 6
IF they can fix the SARJ issue - that will become the most important mission because... well it's evident why.
Former Shuttle Mission Ops Eng  (In them days DF24 - INCO GROUP/COMMS, Now DS231-AVIONICS BRANCH).

Tags: