Author Topic: Space X: Falcon 9 Five Engine Test Fire Release + Official Video  (Read 22773 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Release and video attached (was only just aquired despite the May 29 date on the release).

Short but very cool video too.

Offline JSC Phil

• Liked: 129
  • Likes Given: 7
Impressive.

Offline Flightstar

• Lurking around OPF High Bay 2
  • KSC, Florida
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 5
That's a big step. Hopefully it will also serve to tone down some of the EELV folk ;)

Offline maxx

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
At the end of the clip there is a sound of something spinning down... Is it a turbopump or something like that?

Online wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 691
  • Likes Given: 1149
That's a big step. Hopefully it will also serve to tone down some of the EELV folk ;)

Cool indeed and it is a big step but until it flies successfully there is lots of room for doubt. 

I do wish them the best of luck.
SpaceX, just a few things planned for 2018: FH, Starlink Prototypes, Block 5, Dragon 2, Increased launch rate.

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 368
  • Likes Given: 226
I think most EELV folk are just "real rocket" folks.  Falcon 9 is a lot more real than Ares.  It's even got a market, and a darned big one if they can meet their cost targets.

I'll be perfectly happy to buy a F9 when it meets its lift, reliability and cost goals; and even just the lift and cost goals if the payload can tolerate the higher risk.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Online edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 3548
  • Likes Given: 714
Release and video attached (was only just aquired despite the May 29 date on the release).

Short but very cool video too.

This was, if I'm remembering things correctly, the largest cluster of liquid engines, in terms of numbers of high-thrust engines, fired in the United States since 1975.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

- Ed Kyle

Offline whitewatcher

• Veteran
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
This was, if I'm remembering things correctly, the largest cluster of liquid engines, in terms of numbers of high-thrust engines, fired in the United States since 1975.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

- Ed Kyle

What about the Shuttle and OMS assist?
"One Percent for Space"

Offline Crispy

• London
  • Liked: 39
  • Likes Given: 6

That's not really 'in' the USA though is it :)

Online wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 691
  • Likes Given: 1149
Good points on the clustered engines. 

When they run all 9 that will be somewhat historic. 

If they fly successfully with 9 then it will be very historic.

I think its great what SpaceX is trying to do, but until they deliver payloads successfully its not proven.  That's all I am arguing.  Their claimed costs and performance numbers won't be proven or disproven until then.

Looking forward to the Falcon 1 launch this month.  I really hope that works out. 
SpaceX, just a few things planned for 2018: FH, Starlink Prototypes, Block 5, Dragon 2, Increased launch rate.

Offline lbiderman

• Going where no Uruguayan has gone before
  • Buenos Aires - Argentina
    • Mars Society Argentina
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 13
Wasn´t that a short duration burn? For how long will the first stage burn in an operational Falcon 9? Anyway, COOL video!
"If I wanted to lead a bunch of robots that could only follow orders, I would have joined the Army!"
Captain Alvarez (Uruguay Marine Corps) in Congo (MONUC Deployment), March 2007

Online edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 3548
  • Likes Given: 714

I suppose it depends on how one defines "high thrust", since each OMS engine only produces about 1.6% as much thrust as a single SSME (and only about 6% as much as one Merlin 1C). 

Refining the statement to say that it was the largest cluster of identical high-thrust engines might be in order.

- Ed Kyle 
« Last Edit: 06/03/2008 01:31 PM by edkyle99 »

Offline braddock

• NSF Private Space Flight Editor
  • Likes Given: 8
I'm surprised they did their first five engine firing at night.  Wouldn't it be important to clearly film what was going on in the event of a failure or anomaly?
It is a fantastic step though.  I love the crickets...

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1113
  • Likes Given: 242
I'm surprised they did their first five engine firing at night.  Wouldn't it be important to clearly film what was going on in the event of a failure or anomaly?
It is a fantastic step though.  I love the crickets...

You get better control when you and not mother nature provides all the light. You are also shooting against a dark background.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline tobi453

• Liked: 80
  • Likes Given: 15
Amazing picture of the five engine configuration:
http://spacex.com/press.php?page=42

Offline Chris-A

• Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 28
Also the camera used has a fisheye lens. I was thinking they're using a smaller engine bay(thrust structure) ;D

Offline jabe

• Regular
  • Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 4
Amazing picture of the five engine configuration:
Agreed..I thought the engine was a little bigger for some reason :)
A question on the post test procedure..
would they leave all 5 engines on the pad and then add 4 more or will they take them down pick, inspect them and then install 9 engines.  I'm assuming they will include the 5 they just fired and then 4 new ones.

Can't wait for the 9 engine test..hope they post an upclose vid of the test as well.
jb

Offline JesseD

• Ohio
  • Likes Given: 3
Nice! and check out their water dump system!

Online zaitcev

• mee.nu:zaitcev:space
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 1
Nice! and check out their water dump system!
Since we're on topic, the lack of any kind of flame trench or deflector on BFTS always surprised me.

Offline JesseD

• Ohio
  • Likes Given: 3
I suspect they do have a deflector of some kind.  watching the video, notice how all the smoke and flame billows out toward the left? none towards the right or towards the camera.

Tags: