Author Topic: STS-124: Discovery and ISS Sightings Thread  (Read 28822 times)

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
STS-124: Discovery and ISS Sightings Thread
« on: 05/31/2008 09:54 PM »
Looks like at least the northeastern US will have very good nighttime sighting opportunities for this mission...starting tonight!
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Online trebloc

• Go for launch!
  • Ireland
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: STS-124: Discovery and ISS Sightings Thread
« Reply #1 on: 06/01/2008 11:20 AM »
Last night just 17 minutes after the launch of Discovery she was visible moving from the Southwest to the Southeast from my home in southern Ireland. What a sight! Discovery was a very bright white moving point just over an equally bright orange point {the tank} as they moved throiugh the clear twilight sky. UI have seen the shuttle and station many times passing overhead but this was the best. What a sight!!
« Last Edit: 06/01/2008 01:46 PM by Chris Bergin »
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
Carl Sagan,

Offline astrobrian

• NSF Photographer
  • Austin Texas
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #2 on: 06/01/2008 03:16 PM »
If the sky cooperates I should be able to get pics of a few passes this flight :)  the 8th being the best of the lot

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
« Reply #3 on: 06/01/2008 04:38 PM »
I caught one dimmer pass last night around 10 PM (EDT).  First station then shuttle about 5 mins later.  Not too bad as it wasn't even totally dark yet.  I had a bright one scheduled for about 11, but the clouds rolled in.  Still, I think it's the earliest I've ever seen a shuttle pass after launch.
« Last Edit: 06/01/2008 11:50 PM by Andrewwski »
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 485
  • Likes Given: 4671
« Reply #4 on: 06/02/2008 12:15 AM »
22 minutes before I get my first chance to see them...
Typical overcast here usually (and predicted today)...but they were wrong again  :)  Clear blue skies this afternoon and looks clear out there now...21 minutes...
Remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our rights & freedoms, and for those injured, visible or otherwise, in that fight.

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
« Reply #5 on: 06/02/2008 12:45 AM »
uuughhhhhh....I can't believe it!  Within 15 minutes the whole place socked in with fog. Dang nab it...I keep missing the space race.
Is it so much to ask to see one bright shiny dot in the sky trying to get to another bright shiny dot in the sky???

I got one more chance tonight (1 min), but I won't hold my breath...
Remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our rights & freedoms, and for those injured, visible or otherwise, in that fight.

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
« Reply #6 on: 06/02/2008 02:30 AM »
Just caught a nice one here.  Bright, and the first time I've ever seen the ISS flicker as it fades out.  Not unheard of though, from what I've read.

Tried to catch some pictures but they didn't come out too well.
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline Jones36

« Reply #7 on: 06/02/2008 03:53 AM »
Nothing tonight for me nearly missed the sighting time. Oh well maybe tomorrow.

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
« Reply #8 on: 06/03/2008 01:29 AM »
Well it wasn't the viewing I wanted (separate entities), but it was finally beautiful out tonight in Nova Scotia to see it slowly move across the sky. I have to tip my hat those who put together the sightings page...right on the money. Awesome.
Now we can hope to see them separating...:)

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
« Reply #9 on: 06/03/2008 02:45 AM »
Awesome pass just a few minutes ago...nice and long, magnitude -1.1 according to Heavens-Above.  Again, I noticed a flicker at some points during the pass.
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline Prodigychild

« Reply #10 on: 06/03/2008 08:20 PM »
Hi

I'm a curious Dane searching for an answer.

Does anyone know (I have searched and searched since sunday) where to find some tracking history for STS-124's first 3 hours around eath after lift-off.

I was standing on my porch having a cigarette around midnight saturday night the 31th of May in Copenhagen, Denmark, EU looking south. Suddenly a light came from east going west taking about 1-2 minutes, it went a lot faster than an ordinary plane and I think it was too bright to be a satellite.

So I like to find a place where I can confirm either it was STS-124 or not. Can someone help me please???
« Last Edit: 06/03/2008 08:21 PM by Prodigychild »

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 35
« Reply #11 on: 06/03/2008 08:31 PM »
Hi

Does anyone know (I have searched and searched since sunday) where to find some tracking history for STS-124's first 3 hours around eath after lift-off.

I was standing on my porch having a cigarette around midnight saturday night the 31th of May in Copenhagen, Denmark, EU looking south. Suddenly a light came from east going west taking about 1-2 minutes, it went a lot faster than an ordinary plane and I think it was too bright to be a satellite.

So I like to find a place where I can confirm either it was STS-124 or not. Can someone help me please???

Sighting a spacecraft requires nighttime on the ground but sunlight on the spacecraft, which restricts sightings to the hours just before sunrise and after sunset.

If it was around midnight local time, it could not have been STS-124 or any other spacecraft.

JRF

Offline Prodigychild

« Reply #12 on: 06/03/2008 08:38 PM »
Thanks for the answer.... But the sun goes down here i DK around 22.20 at the moment, don't know if it is possible then.

But thanks again

Offline zappafrank

« Reply #13 on: 06/04/2008 03:33 AM »
We got to remember, June, Midnight in Denmark is just a few hours after sunset.

I did June in Iceland once, never got dark, it was fantastic!

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 35
« Reply #14 on: 06/04/2008 03:55 AM »
We got to remember, June, Midnight in Denmark is just a few hours after sunset.

Ah, good point. I didn't think Denmark was *that* far north, but it's far enough north that sunsets are really late in summer.
JRF

Offline astrobrian

• NSF Photographer
  • Austin Texas
« Reply #15 on: 06/04/2008 06:09 AM »
Hi

You can also go to www.heavens-above.com to go back in time on the passes for your area and see what was floating by in that area and heading

Offline Spiff

• Veteran
  • Utrecht - The Netherlands
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #16 on: 06/04/2008 07:43 AM »
I can't say if what Prodigychild saw was or was not STS-124. But I can confirm that it is possible to see satellites at the time he described. I've seen ISS pass on June 2nd at 23:55, and I'm in the Netherlands which is further south, so it gets dark earlier than Copenhagen this time of year.

Yesterday I saw ISS/Discovery pass together at just about the moment of Kibo unberthing from the payload bay. I managed to take a photo too! Ok, it's not nearly the quality as SatcomUK's brilliant pictures, but I KNOW what that white dash across the sky is, and I KNOW Kibo was about to be unberthed. That's enough for me.
:D
I always consider space to be the FIRST frontier.

Offline Ford Mustang

• Live Coverage Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • Virginia
    • Astro95Media
  • Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #17 on: 06/06/2008 02:10 AM »
Wow.

All I can say.  Saw a nice -1.2 magnitude pass tonight..  Stunning.  Watched it raise over the horizon, and then saw it fade to Orbital Sunset and eventually into Orbital Night.  Tomorrow is going to be spectacular, will get a -2.3 magnitude pass..

Just amazing, the station has grown so much brighter than just a year ago.

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #18 on: 06/06/2008 06:50 AM »
I caught the ISS/Discovery complex tonight in the western sky.  And for good measure, I even nailed it in my telescope - I parked the 4.5 inch Skyquest XT Dob next to Regulus and caught ISS zipping through the eyepiece at 46x.  It zipped by pretty fast but I could see hints of structure - perhaps the orbiter delta wing shape. 
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline satcomuk

« Reply #19 on: 06/06/2008 05:44 PM »
I had no chance of seeing the recent evening passes over the UK due to cloudy conditions.....but yesterday decided to have a look at the station in daylight

At a range of just short of 400km , imaging it wasn't easy , especially as it was not visible , even through the viewfinder . So it was a matter of zoning in on a pinpoint in the sky and waiting for the target to pass by !
FOV was about 6 arc minutes.

You can see the result at
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/satcom_transits/daylight.html

John

Offline daj24

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #20 on: 06/06/2008 06:04 PM »
I had partially cloudy conditions last night but had half the sky clear.  The pass was a long and almost directly overhead for a change.  Lately the passes have been short northerly and westerly arcs. It was amazing how much brighter it was with the JPL and orbiter docked/attached.  Seemed to be as bright as Jupiter.  Probably wishfull thinking as Jupiter is now about -2.5 or so.  Orbitron predicted -1.5 but does anyone know if it takes in effect the amount of area that the ISS has now?
"You'll be a witness to that game of chance in the sky. You know we've got to win" D. Fagen

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #21 on: 06/06/2008 06:16 PM »
I had no chance of seeing the recent evening passes over the UK due to cloudy conditions.....but yesterday decided to have a look at the station in daylight

At a range of just short of 400km , imaging it wasn't easy , especially as it was not visible , even through the viewfinder . So it was a matter of zoning in on a pinpoint in the sky and waiting for the target to pass by !
FOV was about 6 arc minutes.

You can see the result at
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/satcom_transits/daylight.html

John

Very nice John. Know of any decent passes coming up for the north? (York).

Offline satcomuk

« Reply #22 on: 06/06/2008 06:21 PM »
Hi Chris

There are good daylight passes due over the next few days , early evening, late afternoon.
Best way to check is by using Calsky.com and selecting the "invisible passes " feature  for the station.
It lists all the daylight passes giving viewing data etc.

John

Offline rocketguy101

• Strib's Rocket Page
  • Liked: 220
  • Likes Given: 710
« Reply #23 on: 06/07/2008 04:14 AM »
I just saw it!! On a lark I checked on NASA's site to find when the next sighting would be, and it was coming up in about 5 minutes.  So I ran outside to get my night vision, sky was clear, and by golly there it came!  I haven't seen it in awhile, boy is it bright now!
David

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1000
  • Likes Given: 140
« Reply #24 on: 06/07/2008 04:45 AM »
When it comes to imaging ISS, I'm a rank novice.  But this was last-night's pass, and the best I've done so far.

Offline zappafrank

« Reply #25 on: 06/07/2008 05:08 AM »
We have a -2.3 pass tomorrow in PHX and on Monday horizon to horizon pass.

If I had clear access to the horizon, I'd set the Meade up to track it.

Offline Jones36

« Reply #26 on: 06/07/2008 06:02 AM »
Tonight was probably the brightest it has been in a while over Middle Tennessee. Thank god for clear skies this mission. :)

Offline triddirt

• Pack my box with five dozen liquor jugs
  • Rochester, NY
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #27 on: 06/07/2008 10:26 AM »
In Rochester, NY great West to South pass last night.. -0.8 Mag predicted.
Even in very light polluted skies ( I live next to airport) it was VERY bright..
Beautiful clear skies...

It was a pass into orbital night so we all got to see it fade to red/orange and wink out..

Probably the best pass I've seen to date...

Offline Jones36

« Reply #28 on: 06/07/2008 02:05 PM »
2 of the 3 passes have been into orbital night, wondered what caused the variation in color. Pretty cool

Offline joshcryer

• Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #29 on: 06/07/2008 06:27 PM »
Saw my first sighting of it last night. -3.0 mag, lasted 2 minutes 22 seconds, here in Colorado Springs. Was a truly breathtaking sight. I'll be sure to catch the long transits from now on as long as it's clear.

While looking up into the heavens you sort of get transported there, but not really. It flies so fast that the stars in the background sort of pull you in and you can get a sense for how fast they are travelling.

I really can't think of anything wonderful to say about it, but it was amazing.

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
« Reply #30 on: 06/08/2008 01:28 AM »
Just saw by far the best pass I've ever seen in my life.

It was just about dusk...the sky was still blue, and red in the west where the sun had just set 15 minutes earlier.  H-A showed the pass at magnitude -2.3.  It was easily the brightest object in the sky at the time - twice as bright as any airplane - and took a long 6 minute pass almost straight overhead.

I pointed it out to my neighbors and they were amazed.
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline jmjawors

• Old Skool Scratchin'
  • Saint Louis
« Reply #31 on: 06/08/2008 02:53 AM »
Just saw my first pass in quite a while.  Seemed to last longer than the 2 minutes that nasa.gov told me it would be, though time does seem to slow down a bit when watching these kinds of things. 

Aside from the moon it was easily the brightest thing in the sky, losing out to airplanes only because of the size and relative closeness of those planes (the airport's not too far from here).  I was lucky enough to see one of those flashes when the sun hits the SAWs just right once, but no such luck this time.  That certainly didn't take away from the experience at all. 

And to think it will get brighter still!
.:: Matt ::.

Offline DeanG1967

• Liked: 20
« Reply #32 on: 06/08/2008 04:20 AM »
Eyewatering!  7 June at 2114 Vegas time.   I just watched the shuttle and station go ever overhead.  Now I have seen alot of things (flying with NVGs {Nigh Vision Goggles} fly overhead.  This was 1 hour after sunset and it was so bright I had to convince myself it wasn't a plane (no flashing lights).  Longer than wide, it was the station / shuttle.  Only one word to describe it...AWESOME!

Best of luck station and shuttle.

Offline zappafrank

« Reply #33 on: 06/08/2008 04:30 AM »
Just caught it here in PHX, very bright.

I got a 30 second pic of it, I should have made it a longer exposure.

Windy and dusty tonite not a good astronomy night.

Offline Paul Adams

• Veteran
  • United Kingdom and USA
  • Liked: 36
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #34 on: 06/08/2008 04:31 AM »
Hey DeanG1967,

My wife and I saw exactly the same from our back garden in the northwest of the valley!

If was a fantastic overpass tonight, especially with the moon and Mars as well.

Paul

Eyewatering!  7 June at 2114 Vegas time.   I just watched the shuttle and station go ever overhead.  Now I have seen alot of things (flying with NVGs {Nigh Vision Goggles} fly overhead.  This was 1 hour after sunset and it was so bright I had to convince myself it wasn't a plane (no flashing lights).  Longer than wide, it was the station / shuttle.  Only one word to describe it...AWESOME!

It's all in the data.

Offline DeanG1967

• Liked: 20
« Reply #35 on: 06/08/2008 04:39 AM »
Hey DeanG1967,

My wife and I saw exactly the same from our back garden in the northwest of the valley!

If was a fantastic overpass tonight, especially with the moon and Mars as well.

Paul

Agree Paul.  That was a priceless pass there.

Dean

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #36 on: 06/09/2008 01:40 AM »
Just flew to the south of Montreal a few minutes ago.  About a three minute sighting.  Very nice!
www.astro95media.com - Lead Video & Graphics

Offline ntschke

• Mmmm....Rockets
  • Washington DC- sort of
« Reply #37 on: 06/09/2008 09:53 PM »
Here's a few more of the flyby last night.  That thing called the moon is in there...along with the ISS/Space Shuttle complex.  These were taken last night around 9:30 EDT (01:30 UTC).  Moon, Mars, and Saturn and even an airplane (#15-w).   I had to compensate for the brightness of the Moon compared to the usually bright (but no competition for the moon) ISS, so the moon is obviously washed out.  I broke these up into 3 shots instead of one long exposure to try to eliminate the moon washing out everything else.

« Last Edit: 06/09/2008 09:53 PM by ntschke »

Offline astrobrian

• NSF Photographer
  • Austin Texas
« Reply #38 on: 06/09/2008 10:05 PM »
Had some great shots from last nights pass, but it was windy to the point that it was moving my tripod around, interesting yet not straight lines

Offline Jones36

« Reply #39 on: 06/10/2008 02:04 AM »
-2.1 pass tonight, brightest pass I've seen since I began sightings of missions the past couple of years.

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 3562
  • Likes Given: 201
« Reply #40 on: 06/10/2008 10:12 PM »
Space Weather News for June 10, 2008
http://spaceweather.com

DOUBLE FLYBY ALERT:  Space shuttle Discovery is scheduled to undock from the International Space Station on Wednesday morning, June 11th, at 7:42 am EDT.  This means many sky watchers will be able to see the two spaceships flying in tandem, separate but closely-spaced points of light, gliding among the stars on Wednesday night.  Double flybys will continue on Thursday the 12th and to a lesser extent on Friday the 13th, with Discovery returning to Earth on Saturday.  Southeastern parts of the United States (e.g., Miami and Atlanta) are favored with some particularly good apparitions.  Check our Simple Flybys tool to find out when you should look:  http://spaceweather.com/flybys/

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
« Reply #41 on: 06/10/2008 11:28 PM »
Sightings are over here for the rest of the mission. :(  Caught my double pass before docking though.
« Last Edit: 06/10/2008 11:28 PM by Andrewwski »
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline stockman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Southern Ontario - Canada
« Reply #42 on: 06/10/2008 11:31 PM »
Yea I just did a check on my location and with one exception of a very low pass that probably won't be visible tomorrow night, I got nothing for several weeks now in Southern Ontario - oh well.
One Percent for Space!!!

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
« Reply #43 on: 06/11/2008 02:05 AM »
Yea I just did a check on my location and with one exception of a very low pass that probably won't be visible tomorrow night, I got nothing for several weeks now in Southern Ontario - oh well.

I hear you...ugghh nothing here in Nova Scotia. I have absolutely no luck in seeing the little dot catching up to the big dot, or vice-versa.

Offline trlstyle

« Reply #44 on: 06/11/2008 02:07 AM »
It looks like I will have 3 solid, bright passes starting tomorrow!

http://spaceweather.com/flybys/search_results.php?zip=34234
Roger roll, Atlantis; Go at throttle up!

Offline trlstyle

« Reply #45 on: 06/11/2008 04:59 PM »
Can someone tell me where i can find the diagrams of where STS-124 will be landing? I usually see them for several orbits but have never had a concrete place to get them. (i want to see if she will be over my house upon re-entry)

Offline Jones36

« Reply #46 on: 06/11/2008 08:05 PM »
I don't think the landing track has been released yet.

Offline stockman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #47 on: 06/11/2008 11:35 PM »
Well its 7:28 pm EDT here in Southern Ontario and I had what you might term a REVERSE sighting.. I was watching the NASA  feed and they were doing a nice orbital pass with nothing but Earth shots - I managed to watch the ground track from the Coast of British Columbia, right across the prairies and right over my head in Southern Ontario. If anyone caught it, when they went over the great lakes in Ontario, right between Lake Ontario and Lake Erie was a beautiful clear view of the ground. So in essence, I could not see the shuttle/station pass overhead due to it still being daylight, but I could see myself FROM space (at least where I live) while watching the feed. If I knew how to do a screen capture using Media player I would paste it here. Regardless, it was quite cool being able to wave at myself on the TV feed... :)
One Percent for Space!!!

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
« Reply #48 on: 06/12/2008 12:48 AM »
Windows Media doesn't allow for screenshots (well actually you can PrintScreen the window if you disable hardware acceleration), but VLC is a much better media player with a screenshot tool.

Now what would be really cool is a sighting where you can see the station pass over and see the ground on the TV.  Obviously this can't really happen, but it'd be cool.  I guess there might be those times right around dusk where it might happen, I don't know.
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline trlstyle

« Reply #49 on: 06/12/2008 01:34 AM »
BEAUTIFUL and BRIGHT pass tonight for South Florida. One of the brightest i have seen, and sure enough the lady was trailing right behind the ISS! It is incredible to see them one in front of the other moving so precisely in tandem!

Offline astrobrian

• NSF Photographer
  • Austin Texas
« Reply #50 on: 06/12/2008 03:12 AM »
First off, Mother nature owes me,  the last few nights have been clear, but windy, so tonight the two space birds chasing each other, I had a few great shots, but the wind shaking the lens just enough to ruin the shots, so this is the only one i felt worth posting as they were leaving into orbital night.
the other 2 shots were from last night, which came out awesome
« Last Edit: 06/12/2008 03:19 AM by astrobrian »

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 140
  • Likes Given: 158
« Reply #51 on: 06/12/2008 03:23 AM »
Here is a shot I took of ISS and Discovery passing over San Angelo, Texas tonight...

Offline hanschristian

• Pinoy Space geek
  • Imus, Cavite, Philippines
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #52 on: 06/12/2008 03:41 AM »
to all ground observers...

are there any special techniques for observing the ISS and/or the Shuttle using a telescope?

I have a 3-4 inch refractor here, and have tried spotting the ISS with it when any opportunity arrived... but since that thing moves so quick, I'm having difficulty even putting my scope's view to the orbit path of the station... and when I sometimes got lucky, its even harder to keep the station in my field of view...

the only detail I recalled seeing are the P-6 truss SAWs (back when the ISS was still in its post STS-113 config)
The Sky is NOT the Limit...

Offline astrobrian

• NSF Photographer
  • Austin Texas
« Reply #53 on: 06/12/2008 04:01 AM »
hans - with a telescope, i have tried, good luck but it is really hard
thorny - i am jealous, that is the quality mine would have been :)  great shot

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #54 on: 06/12/2008 05:09 AM »
I saw ISS through my Dob a few days ago, it zipped through my field of view pretty quickly and I, too, found it hard to keep up.

You could possibly use a telescope with a GOTO controller and a clock drive, the Meade Autostar, I understand has this capability. 
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline SpaceNutz SA

• Veteran
  • Durban - South Africa
« Reply #55 on: 06/12/2008 06:10 AM »
Windows Media doesn't allow for screenshots (well actually you can PrintScreen the window if you disable hardware acceleration), but VLC is a much better media player with a screenshot tool.

Now what would be really cool is a sighting where you can see the station pass over and see the ground on the TV.  Obviously this can't really happen, but it'd be cool.  I guess there might be those times right around dusk where it might happen, I don't know.

There's a great piece of software called SnagIt (Google it).

Pause the live feed and snap away.
"Lets not make things worse by guessing" - Gene Kranz - Apollo 13 Flight Director

Offline satcomuk

« Reply #56 on: 06/12/2008 05:05 PM »
Both ISS and Discovery seen in daylight an hour ago from the UK.The sun was 37 degrees above the horizon ( Also saw ISS one orbit earlier with the sun at 50 degrees )

The station was leading by about 26 seconds.....both craft were at the same elevation.
ISS has now resumed to regular flight mode  .

Images at

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/satcom_transits/ISSSTSdaylight.gif

John
Wirral
UK

Offline stockman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #57 on: 06/12/2008 10:26 PM »
Thank you to the people that pointed me to VLC... I am like a kid with a new toy now !!!!  The Shuttle had another decent pass just to the East of where I live and I managed to grab some screen shots - Not as good as the overhead pass yesterday but good enough.

Below are two pictures - the first is the raw snap and the second one I highlighted Lake Ontario on top, Lake Erie on the Bottom - The line joining them is the Niagara River (for reference Niagara Falls is roughly in the middle of that line) -And of course the black Dot along the Lakeshore is ME.... Its a bit hard to get Lake Erie exact as it was a bit cloudy today and it obscures a bit but I think its close enough for illustration

« Last Edit: 06/13/2008 01:43 AM by stockman »
One Percent for Space!!!

Offline hanschristian

• Pinoy Space geek
« Reply #58 on: 06/14/2008 02:31 AM »
hans - with a telescope, i have tried, good luck but it is really hard

Ah I see...

Ok I'll just try then!!!

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
« Reply #59 on: 06/14/2008 02:39 AM »
Awesome stockman.  I'm on there too then (Buffalo).
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1000
  • Likes Given: 140
« Reply #60 on: 06/14/2008 02:44 AM »
to all ground observers...

are there any special techniques for observing the ISS and/or the Shuttle using a telescope?

I have a 3-4 inch refractor here, and have tried spotting the ISS with it when any opportunity arrived... but since that thing moves so quick, I'm having difficulty even putting my scope's view to the orbit path of the station... and when I sometimes got lucky, its even harder to keep the station in my field of view...

the only detail I recalled seeing are the P-6 truss SAWs (back when the ISS was still in its post STS-113 config)

Keep both eyes open.  Before you start, find something (like the moon or a bright star) and figure out where in your vision that object appears relative to the telescope view.  Your brain merges the images, and the "dot" seen with your non-scope'd eye will appear somewhere in the telescope's field-of-view.  Memorize that, and when the ISS comes by put it at that same place and it will magically appear in the scope'd eye.

Offline hanschristian

• Pinoy Space geek
« Reply #61 on: 06/14/2008 01:06 PM »
Keep both eyes open.  Before you start, find something (like the moon or a bright star) and figure out where in your vision that object appears relative to the telescope view.  Your brain merges the images, and the "dot" seen with your non-scope'd eye will appear somewhere in the telescope's field-of-view.  Memorize that, and when the ISS comes by put it at that same place and it will magically appear in the scope'd eye.

Hmmm... that's not too difficult to do...

Thanks buddy!!! I'll give it a shot next time!!! (I just hope these darn clouds clear out here...)

Tags: