Author Topic: LIVE: Ariane 5 ECA launch - ProtoStar-1/Badr-6 - July 7  (Read 36191 times)

Online jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 2829
  • Likes Given: 179
May 14, 2008

The Spaceport welcomes its fourth Ariane 5 launcher of 2008

http://www.arianespace.com/site/news/mission-up-498.html

Arianespace is maintaining the sustained Ariane 5 launch pace in 2008, with this year's fourth launcher now undergoing its initial buildup at the Spaceport in French Guiana.

The heavy-lift Ariane 5 was delivered on Monday, May 12, by the MN Colibri - one of two roll-on/roll-off seagoing ships that transport launcher components from Europe to the launch site in South America.

Within hours of the MN Colibri's arrival at Pariacabo port in Kourou, the Ariane 5 components had been unloaded and transferred to the Spaceport's Launcher Integration Building. This set the stage for the cryogenic main stage's erection and positioning over one of two operational mobile launch tables available for the heavy-lift vehicle.

The next step was the rollout of Ariane 5's two solid rocket boosters, which are produced and assembled the Spaceport. They will be mated to the cryogenic core stage, completing the propulsion system used for Ariane 5's liftoff and its first phase of flight.

This fourth Ariane 5 mission will be another dual-passenger launch, continuing Arianespace's flexibility in responding to its customers' mission timing needs.

Arianespace is targeting the busiest year of Ariane 5 operations since the launcher's 1999 commercial introduction, with a total of seven missions scheduled during 2008. Two on-target accurate flights already have been performed this year: the historic launch of an Ariane 5 ES version on March 9 with Europe's Automated Transfer Vehicle (ATV) for the International Space Station; and the April 18 dual-payload Ariane 5 ECA success with Star One C2 and VINASAT-1.

The third Ariane 5 mission of 2008 is in its final phase of preparations, with liftoff scheduled for the evening of May 30. This flight will carry the U.K.'s Skynet 5C military communications satellite and Turkey's Turksat 3A civilian telecom relay platform.

« Last Edit: 07/07/2008 03:08 PM by Chris Bergin »

Offline satlaunch

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
RE: Ariane 5 ECA launch - ProtoStar-1/Badr-6 - June 27, 2008
« Reply #1 on: 05/21/2008 03:44 PM »

May 21, 2008

The fourth Ariane 5 of 2008 completes an integration milestone

The initial assembly of another Ariane 5 for launch this year is nearing completion at Europe's Spaceport, with the vehicle receiving its ESC-A upper stage and vehicle equipment bay during activity inside the Launcher Integration Building.

This heavy-lift Ariane 5 will be used for Arianespace's fourth flight with the workhorse launcher in 2008, which will make another of its trademark missions to deliver a dual-passenger payload to geostationary transfer orbit.

In the streamlined build-up process now employed for Ariane 5, the ESC-A cryogenic upper stage and equipment bay are installed as a single unit – having been integrated and checked out in Europe by prime contractor EADS Astrium.

In the prior procedure, Ariane 5's upper stage and vehicle equipment bay were installed on the launcher in two steps at the Spaceport, which required additional time and validation procedures.

Arianespace is targeting a total of seven Ariane 5 missions in 2008, which will be the busiest year of activity since the launcher entered commercial service in 1999.

Two flights have been performed so far in 2008, with the no. 3 Ariane 5 now being readied in the Spaceport's Final Assembly Building for its liftoff on May 30.

http://www.arianespace.com/site/news/mission-up-500.html  (with photo)

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 340
  • Likes Given: 284
Re: Ariane 5 ECA launch - ProtoStar-1/Badr-6 - June 27, 2008
« Reply #2 on: 05/27/2008 10:53 PM »
SPACE SYSTEMS/LORAL DELIVERS PROTOSTAR I TO LAUNCH BASE
http://www.ssloral.com/html/pressreleases/pr20080527.html

"PALO ALTO, Calif. – May 27, 2008 — Space Systems/Loral (SS/L), a subsidiary of Loral Space & Communications (NASDAQ:LORL) and the world's leading provider of commercial satellites, today announced that it has shipped ProtoStar I to Kourou, French Guiana, where it is scheduled to launch as early as June 24 aboard an Ariane 5 launch vehicle. 

"Space Systems/Loral has been able to deliver a satellite customized to our requirements in a timely and professional manner," said Philip Father, chief executive officer of ProtoStar. "We have worked closely with SS/L throughout this project and are very impressed with the passion and commitment of all the engineers and technicians who have been involved."

The satellite, which was designed to meet the needs of both emerging and existing direct-to-home (DTH) operators in the Asian market as well as other broadband communication needs in the region, was completed for ProtoStar less than 17 months after the contract was signed. It is the first in a fleet of multiple satellites ProtoStar plans to launch that will enable its in-country partners to offer advanced satellite television services and powerful two-way broadband Internet access.

"ProtoStar I is the third satellite that SS/L has shipped for launch this year," said John Celli, president and chief operating officer of Space Systems/Loral. "It is rewarding to see the tangible evidence of our ability to deliver within commercial schedule constraints and to help our customers meet business plan requirements."

Space Systems/Loral was able to deliver the satellite in just over a year because the project involved modifications to an existing satellite, which ProtoStar purchased from its previous owner. SS/L then tailored the spacecraft to meet the defined power and footprint/coverage requirements of ProtoStar’s customers. 

The satellite is based on SS/L’s highly reliable, high heritage, 1300 spacecraft bus, which provides the flexibility for a broad range of applications. It will operate in both Ku-band and C-band and is expected to provide more than 15 years of service"

http://www.ssloral.com/images/pressrel/protostar_1_ship_lrg.jpg (2.1 Mb)
« Last Edit: 05/27/2008 10:58 PM by anik »

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 05/29/2008 04:21 AM »
Satellites for the fourth Ariane 5 mission of this year have arrived at Europe's Spaceport
May 28, 2008

http://www.arianespace.com/site/news/mission-up-502.html (with photos!)

"The two satellite payloads for Arianespace's fourth Ariane 5 flight of 2008 are now at the Spaceport as the mission rate for this heavy-lift workhorse launcher continues to accelerate.

Both the ProtoStar I and BADR-6 spacecraft were delivered to French Guiana this week, allowing their final pre-flight checkout to begin for a liftoff targeted in late June.

ProtoStar I is based on Space Systems/Loral's 1300 spacecraft bus, and will provide K-Band/C-Band relay capacity over the Asian region. It is the first in a fleet of satellites that Asian satellite services ProtoStar plans to launch for advanced satellite television services and powerful two-way broadband communications access.

An Antonov An-124 cargo aircraft delivers BADR-6 to Cayenne's Rochambeau International Airport this morning. The spacecraft will be used by Riyadh, Saudi Arabia-based, satellite operator Arabsat to provide video broadcasting services for the Middle East and North Africa region. BADR-6 was produced jointly by EADS Astrium and Thales Alenia Space, and is based on the Eurostar 2000+ platform"

Offline roy

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: 06/08/2008 11:44 PM »
test card on 12712 h sr-4400 fec 1/2 on 26e

Offline Felix

• Expert
  • Europe.GER.bw
« Reply #5 on: 06/09/2008 12:45 PM »

??

Offline satlaunch

« Reply #6 on: 06/09/2008 01:14 PM »

??

He wrote frequency parametres of "Badr-6 Launching channel" which will broadcast the launch.

Channel started on Badr-4 satellite. You can see there: http://www.flysat.com/badr26.php

Offline William Graham

• Liked: 192
  • Likes Given: 86
« Reply #7 on: 06/12/2008 10:59 PM »
According to coverage of tonight's launch, this launch is scheduled for 4 July.

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 06/17/2008 04:08 PM »
ProtoStar I is fueled for its heavy-lift Ariane 5 launch from the Spaceport
June 17, 2008

http://www.arianespace.com/site/news/mission-up-511.html (with image!)

"Satellite preparations have taken center stage at the Spaceport in French Guiana as Arianespace readies its fourth Ariane 5 flight of 2008.

As part of this activity, the mission's ProtoStar I payload has been fueled in the S5A hall of the Spaceport's state-of-the-art S5 satellite preparation facility. This large satellite platform is based on Space Systems/Loral's 1300 spacecraft bus, and will provide K-band/C-band relay capacity over Asia.

ProtoStar I is the first in a fleet of relay platforms that Asian satellite services company ProtoStar plans to launch for advanced satellite television services and powerful two-way broadband communications access. The spacecraft was designed to meet the needs of both emerging and existing direct-to-home (DTH) operators in Asia, as well as other broadband communication requirements in the region.

Arianespace's upcoming mission is scheduled for July 4, using an Ariane 5 ECA heavy-lift launcher version. ProtoStar I will be joined by Saudi Arabia's BADR-6 satellite on another of Ariane 5's trademark dual-passenger flights.

This flight follows the Ariane 5's June 6 mission, which delivered Skynet 5C and Turksat 3A into highly accurate geostationary transfer orbit on the workhorse vehicle's 25th consecutive success.

Other Ariane 5 flights performed so far in 2008 were the April 18 dual-payload Ariane 5 ECA mission with Star One C2 and VINASAT-1, and the historic launch of an Ariane 5 ES version on March 9 with Europe's Automated Transfer Vehicle (ATV) for the International Space Station.

Arianespace is targeting its busiest year of Ariane 5 operations since the launcher's 1999 commercial introduction, with a total of seven missions scheduled during 2008"

Offline satlaunch

« Reply #9 on: 06/20/2008 04:44 AM »
June 19, 2008

BADR-6 is fueled for Ariane 5's next dual-payload mission

The Middle East's newest TV broadcast satellite is one step closer to launch following its fueling for a July 4 liftoff from the Spaceport in French Guiana.

BADR-6 was topped off this morning in the Spaceport's S5 payload preparation facility, readying it for the heavy-lift Ariane 5 ECA flight that also will carry the ProtoStar I spacecraft. ProtoStar I was fueled late last week as mission activity continues apace for Ariane 5's busiest year since the launcher's commercial introduction in 1999.

The BADR-6 spacecraft was built jointly by EADS Astrium and Alcatel Alenia Space, and will be operated by the Saudi Arabia-based Arabsat for video broadcasting services over the Middle East and North Africa regions. BADR-6 will have a liftoff mass of 3,400 kg., and carries a mixed payload of 24 C-band and 20 Ku-band transponders. The platform is designed for a lifetime of about 15 years, and is to operate from Arabsat's 26 deg. E geostationary orbital location.

Arianespace plans a total of seven Ariane 5 launches in 2008, with three of these on-target missions already performed. The most recent flight was June 12, when an Ariane 5 ECA orbited Skynet 5C and Turksat 3A on the workhorse launcher's 25th consecutive success. It was preceded by an Ariane 5 ECA mission on April 18 with Star One C2 and VINASAT-1, as well as the historic March 9 flight of an Ariane 5 ES that orbited the first Automated Transfer Vehicle for servicing of the International Space Station.

http://www.arianespace.com/site/news/mission-up-512.html (with photo)

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
Re: Ariane 5 ECA launch - ProtoStar-1/Badr-6 - July 4
« Reply #10 on: 06/24/2008 02:54 PM »
The fourth Ariane 5 of 2008 is delivered to Arianespace for a July 4 liftoff
June 23, 2008

http://www.arianespace.com/site/news/mission-up-513.html (with photo)

"Arianespace has taken delivery of the fourth Ariane 5 in 2008, maintaining its accelerated flight pace during the busiest year of commercial mission activity for this workhorse launch vehicle.

The handover occurred with Ariane 5’s transfer from the Launcher Integration Building at Europe’s Spaceport – where its build-up was performed under responsibility of prime contractor EADS Astrium, to the Final Assembly Building – where Arianespace will oversee integration of the mission’s ProtoStar I and BADR-6 payloads.

In its trademark dual-passenger configuration, the heavy-lift Ariane 5 ECA will carry ProtoStar I in the upper payload position, with BADR-6 riding below it inside the SLYDA 5 dispenser system.  Liftoff is scheduled for an evening launch window on July 4"

Offline satlaunch

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: 06/26/2008 03:32 AM »
ProtoStar I and BADR-6 are readied for next week’s Ariane 5 launch
June 25, 2008

http://www.arianespace.com/site/news/mission-up-515.html (with images!)

"The final payload integration process has begun for Arianespace’s fourth Ariane 5 mission of 2008, with the BADR-6 satellite now mounted atop the launcher and ProtoStar I ready for its installation.

This activity is taking place inside the Final Assembly Building at Europe’s Spaceport, as preparations continue for the July 4 evening liftoff from French Guiana. 

Final integration began with the encapsulation of ProtoStar I in the Ariane 5’s payload fairing.  ProtoStar I is the upper passenger in the mission’s dual payload “stack,” and is positioned atop the SYLDA 5 payload dispenser system. 

With the upper payload “stack” component now complete, all is ready for its installation on Ariane 5, where it will be positioned over the BADR-6 spacecraft.  BADR-6 was integrated this morning atop the heavy-lift launcher’s core cryogenic stage.

During the July 4 launch, Ariane 5’s payload fairing will be jettisoned at 3 min., 15 sec. into the mission as the vehicle completes its initial ascent through the denser layers of the Earth’s atmosphere.  ProtoStar I is to be released at some 27 min. into the mission, followed by the separation of SYLDA 5 – which exposes BADR-6 for its deployment at 35 min., 39 sec. into the flight.

Arianespace is planning a total of seven missions during 2008 – the busiest for Ariane 5 since the launcher’s commercial introduction in 1999"

Launch Window: from 21:47 to 22:21 UTC on July 4.

Launch Kit: http://www.arianespace.com/site/news/kit/ProtoStarI-BADR-6-launchkit-GB.pdf

Offline satlaunch

« Reply #13 on: 06/30/2008 11:23 PM »
June 30, 2008
Payload integration is complete for Arianespace’s fourth Ariane 5 mission of 2008

The Ariane 5 ECA for this Friday’s heavy-lift mission is now complete following the installation of its upper payload passenger, the ProtoStar I satellite.

ProtoStar I, which is encapsulated in the launch vehicle’s ogive-shaped protective fairing, was lowered into place over the BADR-6 spacecraft, completing the payload “stack” atop Ariane 5’s cryogenic core stage.

This integration activity occurred in the upper levels of the Final Assembly Building at Europe’s Spaceport, where the Ariane 5 will undergo final checkout before its July 3 rollout to the launch zone.  Liftoff is scheduled for July 4 during a launch window that opens at 6:47 p.m. local time in French Guiana.

The photo at left provides a view of the final payload integration, with launch team members watching from a workstand as the payload fairing with ProtoStar I completes its positioning over BADR-6.  Partly visible below their workstand is Ariane 5’s cryogenic core section, as well as the pair of yellow-colored feed arms that supply propellant to its cryogenic upper stage.

ProtoStar I is based on Space Systems/Loral's 1300 spacecraft bus, and is designed to provide K-band/C-band relay capacity over Asia.  It is the first in a fleet of relay platforms that Asian satellite services company ProtoStar plans to deploy for advanced satellite television services and powerful two-way broadband communications access. The spacecraft was designed to meet the needs of both emerging and existing direct-to-home (DTH) operators in Asia, as well as other broadband communication requirements in the region.

Arabsat’s BADR-6 satellite was built jointly by EADS Astrium and Alcatel Alenia Space, and will be operated by the Saudi Arabia-based Arabsat.  This Ku/C-band relay platform will open up new video broadcasting and telecom services for the entire Middle East and North Africa region, along with a large part of sub-Saharan Africa.  The satellite is designed for a lifetime of about 15 years, and is to operate from Arabsat's 26 deg. E geostationary orbital location.

Friday’s launch with BADR-6 and ProtoStar I will be Arianespace’s fourth of seven Ariane 5 missions in 2008 – making this the busiest year of activity for the workhorse launcher since its 1999 commercial service introduction.

http://www.arianespace.com/site/news/mission-up-517.html (with photo)

Offline capcomespace

• france
    • capcom espace
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #14 on: 07/02/2008 04:26 PM »
Launch posponed to july 7th
« Last Edit: 07/02/2008 04:27 PM by capcomespace »
Didier Capdevila
www.capcomespace.net

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 760
  • Likes Given: 277
« Reply #15 on: 07/02/2008 05:32 PM »
Launch posponed to july 7th

Kourou, July 2, 2008

Arianespace launch with ProtoStar I – BADR-6: launch set for Monday, July 7

Due to an anomaly identified on the electrical interface between the Ariane 5 launcher and the launch table, Arianespace has decided to replace the equipment unit concerned.

As a result, the ProtoStar I – BADR-6 Flight has been postponed from Friday, July 4 to Monday, July 7.

http://www.arianespace.com/site/news/releases/08_07_02_release_index.html
"Every vision is a joke until the first man accomplishes it; once realized, it becomes commonplace." - Robert Goddard

Online jacqmans

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: 07/02/2008 06:02 PM »
July 2, 2008

The Ariane 5 mission with ProtoStar l and BADR-6 is rescheduled to July 7

http://www.arianespace.com/site/news/mission-up-518.html

Arianespace’s fourth Ariane 5 mission of 2008 has been postponed from Friday, July 4 to Monday July 7.

The rescheduling occurred after an anomaly was identified on the electrical interface between the Ariane 5 launcher and its mobile the launch table.  Arianespace decided to replace the equipment concerned.

The electrical interface change-out will occur in the Final Assembly Building, where the Ariane 5 remains in a safe condition with its dual satellite payload of ProtoStar l and BADR-6.

Online jacqmans

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: 07/07/2008 08:16 AM »
July 6, 2008

The Spaceport's ELA-3 launch zone receives its fourth Ariane 5 of 2008

http://www.arianespace.com/site/news/mission-up-519.html

The Ariane 5 for Arianespace's fourth mission of 2008 has moved to the ELA-3 launch zone at Europe's Spaceport, clearing the way for tomorrow's evening liftoff with its dual payload of commercial telecommunications satellites.

This heavy-lift Ariane 5 ECA rolled out of the Final Assembly Building at Europe's Spaceport today, covering a 2.8-km. section of the dual-rail track that links the Spaceport's major launch infrastructure elements.

All is ready for tomorrow's final countdown to an evening liftoff during a launch window that opens at 6:47 p.m.

The Ariane 5 ECA will deliver a payload performance of 8,639 kg. - which includes 7,537 kg. for the mission's ProtoStar I and BADR-6 spacecraft passengers, along with their integration hardware and the SYLDA 5 multiple satellite dispenser system.

ProtoStar I is the first in a fleet of relay platforms that Asian satellite services company ProtoStar will deploy for advanced satellite television services and powerful two-way broadband communications access. It is based on Space Systems/Loral's 1300 spacecraft bus, and will provide K-band/C-band relay capacity over Asia for the needs of both emerging and existing direct-to-home (DTH) operators, as well as other broadband communication requirements in the region.

Arabsat's BADR-6 satellite will open up new video broadcasting and telecommunications services for the entire Middle East and North Africa region, along with a large part of sub-Saharan Africa. Built by EADS Astrium, the Ku/C-band relay platform is designed for a lifetime of about 15 years, and will operate from Arabsat's 26 deg. E geostationary orbital location.

Tomorrow's mission is part Arianespace's accelerated flight rate in 2008, during which a total of seven Ariane 5 missions are planned. This will be the busiest year since Ariane 5's commercial service introduction in 1999.

Offline Charles_oil

• SW France near Agen
« Reply #18 on: 07/07/2008 09:39 AM »
Arianespace Flight - ProtoStar I & BADR-6

THE LAUNCH READINESS REVIEW (RAL) took place in Kourou on Saturday, July 5, 2008 and authorized count-down operations for the ProtoStar I & BADR-6 launch. Arianespace will boost two direct TV broadcast satellites into orbit on its fourth launch of the year: ProtoStar I for American operator ProtoStar Ltd. and BADR-6 for the Middle-East operator Arabsat. THE ARIANE 5 ECA LAUNCHER LIFT-OFF for this flight is scheduled during the night of July 7 to 8, 2008 as soon as possible within the following launch window:

>> KOUROU: From 6:47 p.m. to 7:21 p.m. on July 7, 2008.
>> WASHINGTON: From 5:47 p.m. to 6:21 p.m. on July 7, 2008.
>> UTC: From 9:47 p.m. to 10:21 p.m. on July 7, 2008.
>> PARIS: From 11:47 p.m. to 00:21 a.m. on July 7-8, 2008.
>> RIYADH: From 12:47 a.m. to 01:21 a.m. on July 8, 2008.

Follow the launch live on the internet: http://www.videocorner.tv/index.php?langue=en

Online Chris Bergin

Moved for live coverage..

Tags: