Author Topic: New Display With Saturn - V @ Rocket Park/JSC  (Read 2250 times)

Offline dwmzmm

• Extreme Veteran
  • Far West Houston, TX
    • Challenger 498 NAR Section
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
New Display With Saturn - V @ Rocket Park/JSC
« on: 05/05/2008 10:52 PM »
Yesterday, while at JSC to participate in the Moon, Mars & Beyond Regional Meet (a model rocket competition sanctioned by the National Association of Rocketry), I paid a visit to see
the Saturn - V (again) at Rocket Park.  

Was surprised to see they've now added a 1/3 scale model of the Lunar Module.  I'm including
several pics I took below.
Dave, NAR # 21853 SR.

Offline dwmzmm

• Extreme Veteran
  • Far West Houston, TX
RE: New Display With Saturn - V @ Rocket Park/JSC
« Reply #1 on: 05/06/2008 12:59 AM »
Oh, by the way, the issue brought up last year about the information poster of the SIC stage
hasn't change, the original one with the error (showing a pic of the Saturn - 1 first stage) is
still there.
Dave, NAR # 21853 SR.

Offline rsp1202

• Elite Veteran
  • 3, 2, 1 . . . Make rocket go now
RE: New Display With Saturn - V @ Rocket Park/JSC
« Reply #2 on: 05/06/2008 03:53 AM »
dwmzmm - 5/5/2008  3:52 PM
Was surprised to see they've now added a 1/3 scale model of the Lunar Module.

Conrad would have loved it.  :)

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2631
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: New Display With Saturn - V @ Rocket Park/JSC
« Reply #3 on: 05/06/2008 08:28 PM »
I've now seen all three of the indoor Saturn V displays.  The KSC one is the best, followed by the Huntsville one.  My primary complaint about the one in Houston is that the building is too small to get an overall look at the vehicle.  You simply cannot get back far enough.  I tried taking pictures with a 50 mm lens and it didn't work.  You need a 30 mm lens at least.

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 32
« Reply #4 on: 05/06/2008 08:39 PM »
Blackstar - 6/5/2008  3:28 PM

I've now seen all three of the indoor Saturn V displays.  The KSC one is the best, followed by the Huntsville one.  My primary complaint about the one in Houston is that the building is too small to get an overall look at the vehicle.  You simply cannot get back far enough.  I tried taking pictures with a 50 mm lens and it didn't work.  You need a 30 mm lens at least.

The JSC building was intended to be temporary, but given their difficulties with fundraising, I suspect the permanent building might never be built unless JSC gets an orbiter and needs a larger building.
JRF

Offline dwmzmm

• Extreme Veteran
  • Far West Houston, TX
« Reply #5 on: 05/07/2008 04:24 AM »
Jorge - 6/5/2008  3:39 PM

Blackstar - 6/5/2008  3:28 PM

The JSC building was intended to be temporary, but given their difficulties with fundraising, I suspect the permanent building might never be built unless JSC gets an orbiter and needs a larger building.

Jorge, you're probably right.  I took this picture of the front of the Saturn building, looking toward the Mercury Redstone/Apollo Little Joe to catch the Texas flowers; there's enough space
here to make the building larger should they decide to put a Shuttle here.
Dave, NAR # 21853 SR.

Tags: