Anyone know if UP Aerospace is dead or not? Haven't read anything on them in a while...
Last I saw was their NASA Flight Opportunities Program flight in October, 2014.
"We are the Air Force. What do we want to do with this technology? We want to weaponize it," Ryan Helbach, an official with the Air Force Research Laboratory, said last week during an exhibition at the Pentagon to showcase various military research projects. "The follow-on program to this is the High Speed Strike Weapon effort. It's taking a lot of the lessons learned and the technology and moving to a weapons acquisition."
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
From: 30th Space Wing Public Affairs, www.vandenberg.af.mil
MINUTEMAN III LAUNCH SCHEDULED
VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. - An operational test launch of an Air
Force Global Strike Command unarmed Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic
missile is scheduled for Wednesday, May 20, 2015, between 3:36 a.m. and 9:36
a.m. from north Vandenberg Air Force Base.
The purpose of the ICBM test launch program is to validate and verify the
effectiveness, readiness and accuracy of the weapon system, according to Air
Force Global Strike Command.
Col. Keith Balts, 30th Space Wing commander, is the Launch Decision
Authority.
"The launch process requires tremendous teamwork and involves months of
preparation," said Balts. "The data gained from these launches allows us to
maintain a high readiness capability and ensures operational effectiveness
of the most powerful weapons in the nation's arsenal."
The launch team, under the direction of the 576th Flight Test Squadron,
includes crew members and maintainers from the 90th Missile Wing, F.E.
Warren AFB, Wyoming.
The announcement includes five categories of technologies, based on responses to a request for information NASA issued last year: suborbital reusable and small-satellite launch vehicle systems, wireless power transfer, thermal protection systems, green propellant thrusters, and high-performance liquid propellant rocket engines that are small and affordable.
NASA plans to award up to five Space Act Agreements to U.S.-based companies in the suborbital and small launch vehicle category, and up to two in each of the other four categories. The agreements would not provide the companies with any direct funding, but NASA would instead agree to provide $1 million to $2 million in agency resources, including access to facilities and personnel, per award. Proposals are due July 30 with selections expected in September.
The use of such nonreimbursable agreements was a compromise, Kubendran said. “Initially we were thinking about doing funded Space Act Agreements,” he said, but the agency was concerned about opposition to such agreements, which have been used by NASA’s commercial cargo and crew programs, by some in Congress. “It wasn’t worth fighting that battle.”
Black Brant IX Launch on July 7, 2015 From Wallops Filght Facility
Published on Jul 7, 2015
Black Brant IX Launch on July 7, 2015 From Wallops Filght Facility
This latests Black Brant IX launch comes surprisingly soon after the May 21 failure. Any info around about the cause of that failure and the rapid return to flight?