Author Topic: Griffin encourages UK to participate in manned moon missions  (Read 6192 times)

Offline Namechange User

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Chris Bergin - 15/12/2007  2:18 PM

You can apply to the Yorkshire branch at:

www.eh-up-lad-does-thou-fancy-trip-t'-ISS?.com ;)

(The Americans won't get that, especially those that think we all speak like Hugh Grant).

You don't?  But you're right bout not gettin it.....
Enjoying viewing the forum a little better now by filtering certain users.

Online SimonFD

As far as this (UK) government is concerned if it doesn't raise taxes or is not included in the following list:

NHS
Schools
Iraq

then it doesn't get funded

and yes it is sad  :(
Mrs Doyle: "What would you say to a cup of tea, Father?"
Father Jack: "FECK OFF, CUP!"

Online Chris Bergin

cabbage - 17/12/2007  3:11 PM

(Apparently, Mike Griffin was in the UK at the end of last week - he gave a talk on lunar exploration to the Royal Astronomical Society which covers some of the same ground.  Looking at his speeches on the NASA website it's clear that there is an "international participation" theme in quite a few.

I wonder what level of financial commitment he's looking for from the UK?

Isn't that the problem though? Our current related organizations are completely inept, as proven over the years.

OV-106 - 17/12/2007  4:22 PM

(The Americans won't get that, especially those that think we all speak like Hugh Grant).

You don't?  

You're right, we all speak like this:
;)

Offline Namechange User

• Elite Veteran
Chris Bergin - 17/12/2007  5:29 PM

You're right, we all speak like this:
;)

Yeah, that's how I pictured it...... ;)

I figure you think we all talk like this......well some of us do....and just about everyone at MSFC.

Enjoying viewing the forum a little better now by filtering certain users.

Offline cabbage

• Regular
Chris> It's frustrating if the BNSC etc. don't respond to what seems to be a fairly enthusiastic campaign from Griffin on behalf of NASA! I was interested to get a feel for the level of committment because if I was writing to my MP to promote a greater involvement in human spaceflight I'd want to be open about the cost - of course I think it would be worth it, especially as a way to encourage interest in science and technology.

Offline Lampyridae

• Veteran
  • Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 199
The Poms perfected H2O2/Kero 3 decades ago, launched a satellite with the technology and then did nothing since until Beagle 2 and that was a dismal failure. Sadly, there's not a good culture anymore of innovation in the UK. It's nice to see that Blue Origin is using that propellant combination now.

Getting the UK in on a manned return to the moon would be brilliant because now NASA would have a close international partner and that *might* encourage Congress to stay on the horse, so to speak. The Italians would also be good partners, I think; they build a lot of space hardware.
SKYLON... The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen's preferred surface-to-orbit conveyance.

Offline cabbage

• Regular
Sadly, there's not a good culture anymore of innovation in the UK.

That's a bit of a sweeping statement - there's plenty of innovation going on and some of that relates to space, too.

I think this could be  beneficial for both sides - reading a comment in another thread though, someone suggested that international partners might not be convinced about the viability of Constellation and were holding back to see how things turned out.

In terms of timescales - both NASA and ESA have astronaut selection rounds next year - I wonder if both of them would like the UK to commit further by then, or are they looking several years down the line? Being prepared to start the process would at least realise the SEWG ambition of a modest start and some of the public excitement. Presumably Griffin on behalf of NASA could offer selection and training of a couple of UK astronauts(at a discount/for free?) if he thought that might get the UK to commit to a larger role in Constellation.

(AIUI, there is nothing currently preventing UK citizens applying to the ESA astronaut corps but they presumably have a very low chance of selection/flight because the UK doesn't subscribe to ESA human spaceflight programmes.)

Online Chris Bergin

cabbage - 18/12/2007  10:15 AM

Chris> It's frustrating if the BNSC etc. don't respond to what seems to be a fairly enthusiastic campaign from Griffin on behalf of NASA!

They should do, but experience says they won't :(

Offline Lampyridae

• Veteran
  • Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 199
cabbage - 19/12/2007  7:37 PM

Sadly, there's not a good culture anymore of innovation in the UK.

That's a bit of a sweeping statement - there's plenty of innovation going on and some of that relates to space, too.

What I meant was that there are plenty of good ideas but nobody can be bothered to get off their backsides and give them funding. 2/3 of Beagle 2's funding came from donations and 1/3 was funded by the government. JBIS is one of the really good space rags out there, always popping with ideas, so I know there's good ideas over there. As a member of the former Empire I would like to see some action from them and not just the papers carping on about the NHS or Prince Harry's latest drunken antics.

Britain's former colonies have more spacefaring capability than it does - and here I'm referring to India and Israel (though not a former colony). South Africa also had a space program but abandoned it... though there are few people involved with private spaceflight. Meanwhile the UK tightens immigration laws further and wonders why its schools are full of brats. Hopefully the next government will have a bit more pep in it. Fat chance. :bleh:
SKYLON... The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen's preferred surface-to-orbit conveyance.

Offline meiza

• Expert
  • Where Be Dragons
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 3
Lampyridae - 20/12/2007  1:54 AM

As a member of the former Empire I would like to see some action from them and not just the papers carping on about the NHS or Prince Harry's latest drunken antics.

Britain's former colonies have more spacefaring capability than it does - and here I'm referring to India and Israel (though not a former colony). South Africa also had a space program but abandoned it... though there are few people involved with private spaceflight. Meanwhile the UK tightens immigration laws further and wonders why its schools are full of brats. Hopefully the next government will have a bit more pep in it. Fat chance. :bleh:

I thought you were a DASA guy from the nickname! I'm shocked!  :o  :laugh:

But regarding your post, this is a common problem everywhere. Maybe if people had richer and healthier personal social lives, the medias wouldn't serve such stuff out to them.

Tags: